Nutcracko
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
The title says it all, i've been having trouble deciding on a final choice and most people i've spoken to regarding it give me answers that aren't really helpful.

I'll be looking to take on Graphics Design and i can't decide on a final university.

I'm mostly focusing my choice based on the course rather than where it is, meaning if its in a small town or an expensive city i don't really care.
Those are secondary things to worry about, both choices have their pros and cons but i just can't find an answer.

Which course would be better?
What does Falmouth's Graphics course focuses in?
Why would it be better than a UAL graphics course?
What makes it difference?

Thank you
Meggymoo16
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hello

I'm not sure whether you've decided yet or not as it is a whole year later (sorry!) but having finished my first year at Falmouth I can say that I don't regret a thing. I would say they mainly focus on ideas in the first year. Anyone can learn how to design, but they focus on making you a more original thinker which to an extent, is what the industry needs. In the second year they then go on to focus on design and rules (such as typography, branding, self initiated/competition briefs) as they expect you to know the idea generation process by this point. The course to even my surprise is quite intense and you have to go into it being prepared to work hard to achieve your goals. Which is something I also love about Falmouth, although of course numbers and grades help the uni, the tutors care more about your personal development and help you achieve your own personal design goal. Not everyone wants to be a D&AD pencil winner and they know this. Every week we would have learning teams where you and five others discuss and present your work (it gets less and less scary as the year goes on I promise!) and you create a network with more and more people on the course, which is helpful as there are roughly 100 people, but it definitely doesn't feel like it. Apart from your learning team tutor (which changes with each semester) who knows your project and process inside out, you can speak to or email any (from what I remember there are 7/8 tutors) of them at any time, plus on Thursdays you're encouraged to sign up and talk to a different tutor to get another insight. Once a week there is also Text works which is basically a lecture on all things Graphic Design and it's history. Plus an hour seminar afterwards and two essays a year.
Hope this helped! x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Falmouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 5 Oct '19
  • Falmouth University
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Falmouth University
    Sat, 30 Nov '19

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (208)
23.64%
Pop (218)
24.77%
Jazz (33)
3.75%
Classical (49)
5.57%
Hip-Hop (169)
19.2%
Electronic (60)
6.82%
Indie (143)
16.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise