Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Making aspirin from salicylic acid Watch

ReputationRep:
    Can aspirin still be made by reacting salicylic acid with ethanoic acid in esterification? Does the OH on salicylic act as an alcohol or not as I found out that salicylic acid normally reacts with ethanoic anhydride to form aspirin...

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Drugs are haram.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconut64)
    Can aspirin still be made by reacting salicylic acid with ethanoic acid in esterification? Does the OH on salicylic act as an alcohol or not as I found out that salicylic acid normally reacts with ethanoic anhydride to form aspirin...

Thanks
    Dunno but Sh*t man you have a drug lab? Hit me up if you know how to cook blue meth...It's for a friend

ReputationRep:
    The OH attached to benzene ring is actually a phenol group which behaves differently. Not totally sure about your specific question honestly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black1blade)
    The OH attached to benzene ring is actually a phenol group which behaves differently. Not totally sure about your specific question honestly.
    Sorry about that. The question asks you to suggest a reaction to make aspirin from salicyclic acid. The answer would be reacting salicylic acid with ethanoic anhydride but I thought salicylic acid can behave like an alcohol. So phenol never behaves like an alcohol ? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coconut64)
    Sorry about that. The question asks you to suggest a reaction to make aspirin from salicyclic acid. The answer would be reacting salicylic acid with ethanoic anhydride but I thought salicylic acid can behave like an alcohol. So phenol never behaves like an alcohol ? Thanks
    I don't think so at least I can't think of any cases in which it would. I'm pretty sure we do a lot more on the chemistry of benzene rings in a2 chemistry which will hopefully explain the difference in properties. But yeah I know for sure that phenol is much more acidic than alcohol group (phenol can make salts with alkalis but not not carbonates) and phenols can't be oxidized under reflux by potassium dichromate.

Poll
How are you feeling about your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.