Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

Exam question wrongly written containing errors Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi I don't know if this is in the right place but I sat an exam yesterday in macroeconomics. The section b was 40 marks and based on is lm derivation and other various exercises linked with the is lm curve. Anyway in the exam I began doing that question and could not get a correct answer and tried various methods wasting a good chunk of my 2 hours and panicking as I couldn't get this large portion of the paper right. After about an hour of the exam the examiner makes an announcement that section b contains an error and the one figure which was 1000 instead should've been 800, he then announces to ignore the question and cross it out which I do. My lecturer is now frantically running round the hall and after 10 minutes she pleads with the examiner to include the exam question. She states to answer it even if it's with the wrong value she will still mark it with consistency. I then have to rewrite the whole question out again and do that limiting my time further. After the exam I have since received an email stating that this is under investigation and any migitating issues will be addressed accordingly. I know I can't do anything now and will probably have to wait for the outcome of the investigation but it's caused me a lot of distress and anxiety since as well as in the exam as the question being wrong completely threw me and made me doubt the stuff I had revised. I was just wondering what's most likely to happen now in regards to whether the 40 marks will count? And was also wondering whether anything similar had happened to anyone else? And whether it would be worth complaining to the department?
    Thanks

(Original post by SamB1996)
    Hi I don't know if this is in the right place but I sat an exam yesterday in macroeconomics. The section b was 40 marks and based on is lm derivation and other various exercises linked with the is lm curve. Anyway in the exam I began doing that question and could not get a correct answer and tried various methods wasting a good chunk of my 2 hours and panicking as I couldn't get this large portion of the paper right. After about an hour of the exam the examiner makes an announcement that section b contains an error and the one figure which was 1000 instead should've been 800, he then announces to ignore the question and cross it out which I do. My lecturer is now frantically running round the hall and after 10 minutes she pleads with the examiner to include the exam question. She states to answer it even if it's with the wrong value she will still mark it with consistency. I then have to rewrite the whole question out again and do that limiting my time further. After the exam I have since received an email stating that this is under investigation and any migitating issues will be addressed accordingly. I know I can't do anything now and will probably have to wait for the outcome of the investigation but it's caused me a lot of distress and anxiety since as well as in the exam as the question being wrong completely threw me and made me doubt the stuff I had revised. I was just wondering what's most likely to happen now in regards to whether the 40 marks will count? And was also wondering whether anything similar had happened to anyone else? And whether it would be worth complaining to the department?
    Thanks
    I wouldnt worry. Everyone is in the same boat. Poor co ordination between lecturers and invigilators.

Make a complaint and ask to resit.

I do think you made a mistake if you spent more than the allotted time over it.

Your crossing out it should have been 2 straight lines at most. I would not have recopied it out all over again imo, just pointed them to the question id already done .

That said again I wouldnt worry sounds like a complete mess. Get on with your other exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamB1996)
    Thanks
    Your best route of action is to email your head of teaching programmes, the lecturer, and the member of faculty responsible for exams, and simply explain all of this in some detail.

This way everyone necessary is aware.

Also, I would double check with other classmates who sat the exam and see if they found themselves in a similar situation.

Poll
Still A Remainer Or A Brexiteer?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.