"so foul and fair a day I have not seen"
"is this a dagger which I see before me"
niamhed
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
"If chance will have me king, why chance may crown me"
Macbeth speaks to himself after being visited by the three witches. Chance is personified as someone that will choose Macbeth as king and therefore crown him. The continuation of this quote "without my stir" is Macbeth's way of acknowledging he does not want to kill King Duncan and if it is his fate to be king it will happen without him doing anything.

"Will all neptune's oceans wash this blood from my clean hands"
This is a rhetorical question from Macbeth following the murder. The hyperbole "all neptune's oceans" infers that a ridiculous amount of water is required to wash away not only the blood on the hands but also the sin. Neptune is God of the Sea in ancient mythology, this must be understood to recognise the pragmatic value of this line.

"So foul and fair a day I have not seen"
This is a paradoxical statement following the battle. Macbeth sees it as a foul day because of the soldiers and lives lost, yet also sees it as fair as he has won. "foul is fair" and "fair is foul" are motifs used throughout the play, for example in the witches first scene.

"Is this a dagger which i see before me"
This is the beginning of Macbeth's soliloquy which Shakespeare uses to express the otherwise unknown emotions of the character. The question "is this a dagger" is because Macbeth is in pitch black considering the imminent murder of Duncan. An alternate analysis is that Macbeth is so giddy with fear that he begins to hallucinate of a bloody dagger.
z_o_e
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by niamhed)
"If chance will have me king, why chance may crown me"
Macbeth speaks to himself after being visited by the three witches. Chance is personified as someone that will choose Macbeth as king and therefore crown him. The continuation of this quote "without my stir" is Macbeth's way of acknowledging he does not want to kill King Duncan and if it is his fate to be king it will happen without him doing anything.

"Will all neptune's oceans wash this blood from my clean hands"
This is a rhetorical question from Macbeth following the murder. The hyperbole "all neptune's oceans" infers that a ridiculous amount of water is required to wash away not only the blood on the hands but also the sin. Neptune is God of the Sea in ancient mythology, this must be understood to recognise the pragmatic value of this line.

"So foul and fair a day I have not seen"
This is a paradoxical statement following the battle. Macbeth sees it as a foul day because of the soldiers and lives lost, yet also sees it as fair as he has won. "foul is fair" and "fair is foul" are motifs used throughout the play, for example in the witches first scene.

"Is this a dagger which i see before me"
This is the beginning of Macbeth's soliloquy which Shakespeare uses to express the otherwise unknown emotions of the character. The question "is this a dagger" is because Macbeth is in pitch black considering the imminent murder of Duncan. An alternate analysis is that Macbeth is so giddy with fear that he begins to hallucinate of a bloody dagger.
Thank you so much

Can. You please explain the context behind neptunes ocean

Posted from TSR Mobile
xkrutix
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by z_o_e)
Thank you so much

Can. You please explain the context behind neptunes ocean

Posted from TSR Mobile
For that quote, in my copy of the play I wrote the following:
Motif: washing the blood off. Will something as big as the ocean be enough to wash the blood off his hands. Motif symbolic of guilt. The quote is also a reference to Neptune the god of water showing how even a godly power cannot get rid off the blood from his hands. The form of desperation shows his guilt.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (150)
4.91%
Uncertainty around my education (450)
14.74%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (342)
11.2%
Lack of purpose or motivation (424)
13.89%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (143)
4.68%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (185)
6.06%
Loneliness (263)
8.61%
Financial worries (111)
3.64%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.03%
Exposure to negative news/social media (139)
4.55%
Lack of real life entertainment (167)
5.47%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (269)
8.81%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (287)
9.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed