Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Freshers week at kcl watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ditto, I'm going in on the 19th, still need to confirm it with the halls (I'll be doing that Monday) but I would imagine that most Kings Folks will come down that weekend coz registrations are going on that week and it’s the start of freshers week on Tuesday! and looking at the number of intercollegiate halls about 1/4 of KCL first years must be in them and there's bound to be a few who we'll bump into on the first day and go down to the freshers events with... I mean if your doing it and I’m doing it plenty of other people have got to be unwilling to commute to London and miss the beginning of freshers week!

I must admit it's a bit worrying that I haven't got anything from the Union yet, my mates going to places like Manchester, Leeds, UEA and Newcastle have! But it’s bound to come sooner or latter I guess, luckily I’m on war studies and they seem to have a pretty big setup to get people to know one another, so that should be good… but I just try and comfort my self with the thought that “every ones in the same boat” and that applies doubly for the Kings people who arrive at intercollegiate halls early!... at least I hope so… lol

ReputationRep:
    o wikid im so glad i wont be the only one! r u staying at connaught too?

ReputationRep:
    No... I'm at Hughes Parry, I think its close to Conaught though, not sure... but don't worry as i said there are bound to be loads of KCL people starting then... of course if worst comes to worst i can go from corridor to corridor trying to find Kings people! lol.

Tell you what, if worst comes to worst email me [email protected]

ReputationRep:
    I am also off to king's to do history. what is the deal with buying tickets, can't you just buy them on the door?

i am in commonwealth hall, when is anyone else from kcl going to move in anywhere?

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spl82)
    I am also off to king's to do history. what is the deal with buying tickets, can't you just buy them on the door?

i am in commonwealth hall, when is anyone else from kcl going to move in anywhere?

Cheers

Tickets can sell out, that’s why I got mine over the net… just to be on the safe side.

As for moving in, I’m going in on the 19th however KCL students are down for going in on the 26th in my halls (Hughes-Parry), which seems pretty stupid as my course registration (war studies, don’t laugh!) is on the 23rd and freshers weeks begins on the 21st ! So I’d give your halls a ring and sort out to arrive on the 19th at Hughes Parry they just noted it down over the phone and that was all it took to change me from the 26th to the 19th and with Freshers weeks starting on the 21st it would be risky to not arrive early enough to get stuck in IMHO…

I had a friend in International Halls last year, he was at the royal vetanry school, he said that he met plenty of people in the refectory and on his hall but most of the vets he met where ones he’d met at some social they had during the summer… bloody Vets!... as for KCL people my halls are suppose to have about 150 so I sure hope I run into one or two of them before I have to go down to the strand campus for all this fershers week stuff…

ReputationRep:
    ok thanx for that mort!

yeah im sure ill find some ppl...altho iv heard hughes parry is quite big compared to connaught! but it shudnt be a prob...i dont care evn if i have to go by myself! strand isnt that far from our halls is it? im STILL waiting for freshers stuff! i wish it'd come soon...c u all there hopefully!

ReputationRep:
    zainlo, spl82

Either of you going to the Badge Party or the Boat Party?

ReputationRep:
    yeah, probably the badge party, i have to register on the 20th and i think the badge party is the 21st right. i think i will go to the strand one, isn't tutu's on the 4th floor or something?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think so... but with 150/500+ people in my halls being from KCL i should have found some folks to investigate it with... fingers crossed

ReputationRep:
    yeah ill probably go! iv heard its pretty good...and iv also got a t-shirt with my name on it so it fits perfect with the night! i havent got my ticket yet tho...is it too risky waiting to buy it till i get there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zainlo)
    yeah ill probably go! iv heard its pretty good...and iv also got a t-shirt with my name on it so it fits perfect with the night! i havent got my ticket yet tho...is it too risky waiting to buy it till i get there?
    Just turn up early and buy your ticket there and then... you can drink in the waterfront bar until the party starts. :cool:

The first Phase will definitely get sold out though, with the next few fridays almost certainly too. Buy your tickets online for phase!

ReputationRep:
    do you guys know how the intercollegiate halls work out in terms of allocation from the different university of london colleges, so if commonwealth is 421, how many are from king's.

are you guys nervous about going or just excited, cos i can't decide which i am.

mort, i might take you up on that email!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spl82)
    do you guys know how the intercollegiate halls work out in terms of allocation from the different university of london colleges, so if commonwealth is 421, how many are from king's.

are you guys nervous about going or just excited, cos i can't decide which i am.

mort, i might take you up on that email!!

Feel free… the only thing I’m worried about is finding folks from Kings at my hall there are 150 out of around 580 odd, so I should find some but international is more mixed as I understand it (as I said I had a mate who’s at the RVS who was there last year), in a way I’m excited but I did this last year before I dropped out of Uni and I’m restarting this year (having spend six months dosing about and doing a variety of jobs) so the freshers week doesn’t really phase me, it just the networking that has me on edge but I did fine last time and remember that “every one else is in the same boat” yeah its clichéd but its true all the same...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mort)
    Feel free… the only thing I’m worried about is finding folks from Kings at my hall there are 150 out of around 580 odd, so I should find some but international is more mixed as I understand it (as I said I had a mate who’s at the RVS who was there last year), in a way I’m excited but I did this last year before I dropped out of Uni and I’m restarting this year (having spend six months dosing about and doing a variety of jobs) so the freshers week doesn’t really phase me, it just the networking that has me on edge but I did fine last time and remember that “every one else is in the same boat” yeah its clichéd but its true all the same...
    Remember that not everyone will move in on the same day as us KCLers. Some colleges start later, such as the LSE. You'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    this is a bit of a strange question, but those of you guys who are staying in cartwright gardens, will you walk or take a bus to the strand? also have you worked out bus numbers etc. already if you are going to use a bus?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caer)
    Remember that not everyone will move in on the same day as us KCLers. Some colleges start later, such as the LSE. You'll be fine

True but I have to start early because my course registration is before, KCL students are meant to arrive at my halls in fact KCL Freshers week starts before KCL students are suppose to arrive at Hughes Parry… so I would imagine a lot of KCL people will arrive on the Sunday 19th … .well as I said I hope so.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.