Carly2289
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I've been trying to find a list of universities I want to go to so I can book open days and things but I have no idea where to start! I know I want to do psychology, possibly with sociology or criminology. I want to go to a good university but I don't know where to place myself in terms of grades. I don't know where I could get into because sometimes a university has their entry grades but people that get those grades don't always get in because lots of people apply with better grades or have better GCSEs and I just feel completely lost as to where to start!! I've looked through league tables and everything but again I don't know what sort of uni I could get into!!
Max12121
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If i were you i would just book open days everywhere and anywhere.Id start by trying to figure out what A level results you are likely to get through talking with tutors and that.Once youve got a rough idea start looking for university's that want those marks.However uni rankings are not everything and you need to really find a uni/location that you would like to study at.

The more open days and things you go to the more chance you will find the unis you want to go to .
TheMightyAugur
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What are your predicted grade/mock results? That should be a place to start

Posted from TSR Mobile
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Carly2289)
I've been trying to find a list of universities I want to go to so I can book open days and things but I have no idea where to start! I know I want to do psychology, possibly with sociology or criminology. I want to go to a good university but I don't know where to place myself in terms of grades. I don't know where I could get into because sometimes a university has their entry grades but people that get those grades don't always get in because lots of people apply with better grades or have better GCSEs and I just feel completely lost as to where to start!! I've looked through league tables and everything but again I don't know what sort of uni I could get into!!
Hey, i did a social sciences degree (now its called Human social and political sciences) which lets you choose between anthropology/sociology/politics/psychology/human geography/criminology modules. I know durham and cambridge offer something like this. I think its quite a good degree choice since it provides you with multiple lenses to analyse things, and you can get exposure to things you probably haven't had the opportunity to do at school (e.g. anthropology). I think it also looks beter than doing just a criminology or sociology degree which can be a bit stigmatised. In terms of unis, its worth being ambitious with at least two of your UCAS applications, most people are quite intimidated by this though but you don't always need a perfect GCSE record.
Noodlzzz
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
In contrast to the above, I studied straight psychology BSc. There was lots of opportunity to take modules outside of psych. I took some sociology and philosophy modules, friends took criminology and crime ones.
Michael_Fishy
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
First you need to establish a basline from which to start looking at unis, best way to do this is grades - talk to your subject teachers, ask them what they think you'll get next year, not what your predictions or targets are. Work from there.

Other factors to consider,
Do you want to be in the middle of a bustling city like london? Look at places like UCL or Kings'. Rather be in the countryside/small town? Warwick or Durham.
Is there an area of psychology you're interested in? If so, do any unis offer specific modules in that that no other ones do?
What sort of scholarships or bursaries are available - ideally money wouldn't be something to take into account here but if you can get a few extra thousand pounds at a certain uni then I think it's something to consider.
Leauge tables - take them with a pinch of salt, but they're still not a bad way to gauge the relative standing of the unis. 'Good' is typically anything within the top 20-30
Finally - Look at the focus of the degrees - some psychology degrees like at Oxford are very clinical and biologically focused, while others at places like bishop grot are more social psychology.

Hope that helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (117)
4.94%
Uncertainty around my education (351)
14.81%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (259)
10.93%
Lack of purpose or motivation (333)
14.05%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (108)
4.56%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (138)
5.82%
Loneliness (205)
8.65%
Financial worries (88)
3.71%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (100)
4.22%
Exposure to negative news/social media (115)
4.85%
Lack of real life entertainment (126)
5.32%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (207)
8.73%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (223)
9.41%

Watched Threads