The Student Room Group

Gcse English lit aqa help

So paper one on monday! Anyone got any predictions for Jekyll and Hyde and The Merchant of Venice?!
How did you find those two? I think I did horrible in them I ran out of time and I forgot context for Jekyll and Hyde but I mentioned Victorian reader don't know whether they will give me credit for that
Original post by ewarner2000
So paper one on monday! Anyone got any predictions for Jekyll and Hyde and The Merchant of Venice?!
I thought it was okay... not sure i likes the 'how far do you agree with this statement?' though. They should give you credit for mentioning the victorian reader as its still part of context. I almost ran out of time though so i think that ive done better in the merchant of venice question!
Reply 3
Hi guys! Just sat my AQA GCSE English Literature, and I’m not 100% sure of my points were right so I was wondering if you guys could help me please? The books I studied were Macbeth and Frankenstein.

Macbeth: For this question, I focused on Lady Macbeth and Macbeth and how them becoming ambitious had turned them into evil people from good people, which they initially were. I mentioned how they went to any limit to achieve what they wanted, even if it meant death. I discussed how they killed the king, and I related this idea back to the context that at the time of the play, it was believed that the king was chose by God, so by going against the King would be like going against God.

Frankenstein: Firstly, I talked about the context, which I pre-planned; β€œMary Shelley’s 1818 gothic novel β€˜Frankenstein’ is a text with not only reflects on the ideas of prevalent in the nineteenth century - including science and religion - but also explores β€˜the dark, irrational side of human nature’. The character/theme of ………. allows Shelley to explore the concept of Enlightenment which is a culmination of thought and progress, and romanticism which is the innovation, spontaneity, freedom of thought and expression, and a idealisation of nature and the belief of living in an area of β€˜new beginnings and high possibilities.’ ” I then went on to discuss how the creature being rejected by society made him feel isolated, which then made him want to seek revenge on victor. I then said how victor went from being this happy guy to becoming evil and now wanting to seek revenge on the creature, for everything that the creature put him through.

In both my answers, I included approximately 10 quotes! I am hoping to get a grade 6/7! Any help would be appreciated!
Original post by ewarner2000
I thought it was okay... not sure i likes the 'how far do you agree with this statement?' though. They should give you credit for mentioning the victorian reader as its still part of context. I almost ran out of time though so i think that ive done better in the merchant of venice question!

My Jekyll and Hyde one was so much *****ier I was like the adjective disconsolate suggests his suffering. I should have said something about the infinite sadness and the duality of man but it was about his sympathy and duality of man hasn't got much to do with his sympathy I said how he isn't sympathetic at the beginning because he brought this up on himself but I didn't get the chance to explain. Same with portia I didn't get the chance to explain her being bonded to her dads will
Jekyll and hyde i didnt pick that much out of the extract and same as you, i didnt get to explain! Im unsure if i actually answered the 'how far do you agree' bit as well! How many pages did you roughly write?

Quick Reply

Latest