Poll: Which one represents a homologous pair of chromosomes?
Grey (Text) (1)
11.11%
Green (Text) (8)
88.89%
Philip-flop
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Ok so I seem to be having issues revisiting chromosomes. More specifically what a homologous pair of chromosomes is.

Which one from this diagram (Grey or Green text) represents what a homologous pair of chromosomes is?...
Name:  Homologous Pair of Chromosomes.png
Views: 218
Size:  4.0 KB

Someone please clear this up for me
AlexLyes
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The green one.
The red cross could be from mum and the blue cross could be from dad. They are in a cross shape because each chromosome has replicated so they can undergo mitosis or meiosis.
Rachyray
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The grey text represents a homologous pair of chromosomes.
AlexLyes
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AlexLyes)
The green one.
The red cross could be from mum and the blue cross could be from dad. They are in a cross shape because each chromosome has replicated so they can undergo mitosis or meiosis.
Philip-flop
Rep:
?
I'm getting mixed answers
The green one.
(Original post by Rachyray)
The grey text represents a homologous pair of chromosomes.
Lxxa14
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Green is a homologous pair. Grey is one chromosome.
Lxxa14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The green one.
What they said
Logic4Life
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Philip-flop)
It's the green one. The grey one just shows a pair of sister chromatids. In each pair of the homologous chromosomes, one chromosome has been inherited from the mother and the other from the father.
RevisionGuide
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ok so I seem to be having issues revisiting chromosomes. More specifically what a homologous pair of chromosomes is.

Which one from this diagram (Grey or Green text) represents what a homologous pair of chromosomes is?...
Name:  Homologous Pair of Chromosomes.png
Views: 218
Size:  4.0 KB

Someone please clear this up for me
One homologous pair equals two chromosomes (one maternal and one paternal). One homologous pair has 4 chromatids.
Rachyray
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Oops sorry, looks like I'm confused too😅
Philip-flop
Rep:
?
So I've created a poll at the top of the thread as I'm still getting different answers. For those of you who have already commented can you please vote as well? Thank you

I seem to be leaning towards green though!
Dinasaurus
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ok I think I'm actually still confused by this.

Humans have...
46 chromosomes (haploid) which make up 23 pairs of chromosomes (diploid), right?

So that's...
X X X X X
X X X X X
X X X X X
X X X X X
X X X

This means that...
A singular chromosome is in the form (/)
A double-armed chromosome - which has two sister chromatids are in the form (X)
A homologous pair of chromosomes is in the form (XX).

Can someone tell whether I'm right?
Yeah 46 individual chromosomes/23 pairs.
Philip-flop
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dinasaurus)
Yeah 46 individual chromosomes/23 pairs.
Thank you!

I think I'm slowly getting there, so basically...
A double armed chromosome, which has two sister chromatids - is in the form (X).
And homologous pair of chromosomes is in the form (XX) where one (X) is maternal and the other (X) is paternal.

Also we only get double-armed chromosomes (X) after interphase.

So, humans have 46 singular chromosomes (/), this means when a cell replicates it's DNA during interphase (of Mitosis) we end up with 46 double-armed chromosomes (X) (which can be seen as there being 92 chromatids/singular chromosomes (/)). Then after the cell divides into two, the daughter cells contain 46 singular chromosomes(/). Is this right?

And how about with Meiosis? Do we start with 46 singular chromosomes (/), replicate to end up with 46 double-armed chromosomes (X) (which can be seen as there being 92 chromatids/singular chromosomes (/)). Then the 46 double-armed chromosomes line up in two's in their homologous pairs (XX) and undergo the 1st division process leaving 23 double-armed chromosomes (X) (which can be seen as there being 46 chromatids/singular chromosomes(/)), then a 2nd division follows leaving 23 singular chromosomes which are now the gametes since we have reached the haploid number (n).

Can someone clear this up?
Dinasaurus
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you!

I think I'm slowly getting there, so basically...
A double armed chromosome, which has two sister chromatids - is in the form (X).
And homologous pair of chromosomes is in the form (XX) where one (X) is maternal and the other (X) is paternal.

Also we only get double-armed chromosomes (X) after interphase.

So, humans have 46 singular chromosomes (/), this means when a cell replicates it's DNA during interphase (of Mitosis) we end up with 46 double-armed chromosomes (X) (which can be seen as there being 92 chromatids/singular chromosomes (/)). Then after the cell divides into two, the daughter cells contain 46 singular chromosomes(/). Is this right?

And how about with Meiosis? Do we start with 46 singular chromosomes (/), replicate to end up with 46 double-armed chromosomes (X) (which can be seen as there being 92 chromatids/singular chromosomes (/)). Then the 46 double-armed chromosomes line up in two's in their homologous pairs (XX) and undergo the 1st division process leaving 23 double-armed chromosomes (X) (which can be seen as there being 46 chromatids/singular chromosomes(/)), then a 2nd division follows leaving 23 singular chromosomes which are now the gametes since we have reached the haploid number (n).

Can someone clear this up?
Think of mitosis like multiplying but meiosis is dividing, mitosis diploid -> diploid. Meiosis diploid -> haploid.
Philip-flop
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dinasaurus)
Think of mitosis like multiplying but meiosis is dividing, mitosis diploid -> diploid. Meiosis diploid -> haploid.
Thank you so much

I seriously appreciate your help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.83%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.72%
Lack of purpose or motivation (94)
12.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.29%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.56%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (79)
10.72%
Financial worries (50)
6.78%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.34%
Exposure to negative news/social media (45)
6.11%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (70)
9.5%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise