Geography OCR Watch

ClaudiaAN
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi,

Could someone tell me the structure to use for a 30 mark question in the global issues paper in detail? Or be able to send me an example question? I would just be so grateful!!!!
Amefish
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ClaudiaAN)
Hi,

Could someone tell me the structure to use for a 30 mark question in the global issues paper in detail? Or be able to send me an example question? I would just be so grateful!!!!
You are marked on three AOs (Assessment Objectives). These were taken from an earthquake question from last year, so may mention this a little bit, but the Assessment Objectives are more or less the same for every exam. To get the top marks in each, here's what you must do:
  1. AO1 Level 3 (8-9 marks): Substantial knowledge and authoritative understanding of both primary and secondary impacts arising from earthquakes. There is secure use of detailed exemplification.
  2. AO2 Level 3 (14-17 marks): Clear and convincing analysis of the various impacts, both primary and secondary. There is effective evaluation of the relative seriousness of the impacts, with a balanced coverage of the two sets.
  3. AO3 Level 3 (4 marks): Clear structure and organisation, including a clear conclusion. Communication is clear with authoritative use of grammar and spelling and accurate use of geographical terms. Maps, diagrams and statistics are used effectively, if appropriate.

In the report for this exam, it states this for the question:
Spoiler:
Show

"Most candidates discussing the relative seriousness of primary rather than secondary effects arising from earthquakes did so quite convincingly. Frequent mention was made of earthquake events effecting locations at contrasting places along the development continuum. In this context responses offered interesting discussions about primary effects, such as collapsed buildings in LEDCs such as Haiti, as against the relative stability of aseismic architecture in MEDCs such as Japan and the USA. Examiners were pleased to read comments about Chile, an example of a country that has been able to make significant progress in terms of reducing vulnerability to the primary impacts of earthquakes. The scale of any particular event was frequently used as an evaluative point, with the 2011 earthquake and its accompanying tsunami in Japan being quoted. The level of detail, such as the key factor of the relative subsidence of the coast thereby making the protective sea wall less effective against the tsunami, a secondary impact, was very impressive from some candidates The contrasting abilities of countries at different places along the development continuum to recover from an earthquake was used well by many when assessing secondary impacts. Factors such as relief aid (food, bottled water and temporary shelter) and level of medical care were cited as being significant. There was a tendency by some candidates to offer detailed accounts of case studies of particular earthquake events. This took a response so far but because it was not evaluative, marks in AO2 were not that high."

Unfortunately, there are no model answers for this question, but I hope this gives you some guidance. There seems to be no official advice on how to structure this answer, so just write it in a way that makes sense.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of West London
    Undergraduate Open Day - West London Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19

How did your AQA A-level Biology Paper 2 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (449)
18.96%
The paper was reasonable (1105)
46.66%
Not feeling great about that exam... (520)
21.96%
It was TERRIBLE (294)
12.42%

Watched Threads