Belmar
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Before coming to uni, I had such high hopes for first year: i'd have a massive friendship group, become really involved in societies and every part of uni life. However, it's nearing the end of the year and I have so many regrets that i'm down all the time and can't focus on my exams.

Firstly, I feel that I probably didn't make enough effort with my block. Before coming to uni, I dreamed of being really close with all my neighbors, chilling in their rooms and taking group pictures in the corridor. However, it didn't really end up like that. After arriving late on the first day of freshers, it seemed that everyone in my block had already bonded and I ended up sticking with my one neighbor too much, who ended up being a fake friend anyway. At first, I told myself that it was fine, as they weren't my kind of people anyway, but I feel that I may have judged them too quickly, and, in hindsight, could have made more of an effort. It's got to the point now where it's actually quite awkward and we hardly even say hi when walking past each other. Fortunately, I do have a lovely group of girlfriends from other blocks who I'm really close with and am living with next year and also a close group from my course. I feel guilty complaining, as I know there are people who have no friends at uni, but I can't help feeling sick every time I see my block posting massive group photos on Facebook. I have always had a large group of friends at home, so it feels weird not having the equivalent here.

Also, although I signed up to a few societies, I never really committed to any and feel like I have wasted an opportunity, as I only have a year left before my year abroad anyway.

I know that I have had a much better experience than others and I have lots to be grateful for, but I can't help comparing mine to other people's uni experience's on social media and wishing that I had an opportunity to redo first year again. Do any second years have any similar experiences or tips on how to rectify this in second year?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Belmar)
Before coming to uni, I had such high hopes for first year: i'd have a massive friendship group, become really involved in societies and every part of uni life. However, it's nearing the end of the year and I have so many regrets that i'm down all the time and can't focus on my exams.

Firstly, I feel that I probably didn't make enough effort with my block. Before coming to uni, I dreamed of being really close with all my neighbors, chilling in their rooms and taking group pictures in the corridor. However, it didn't really end up like that. After arriving late on the first day of freshers, it seemed that everyone in my block had already bonded and I ended up sticking with my one neighbor too much, who ended up being a fake friend anyway. At first, I told myself that it was fine, as they weren't my kind of people anyway, but I feel that I may have judged them too quickly, and, in hindsight, could have made more of an effort. It's got to the point now where it's actually quite awkward and we hardly even say hi when walking past each other. Fortunately, I do have a lovely group of girlfriends from other blocks who I'm really close with and am living with next year and also a close group from my course. I feel guilty complaining, as I know there are people who have no friends at uni, but I can't help feeling sick every time I see my block posting massive group photos on Facebook. I have always had a large group of friends at home, so it feels weird not having the equivalent here.

Also, although I signed up to a few societies, I never really committed to any and feel like I have wasted an opportunity, as I only have a year left before my year abroad anyway.

I know that I have had a much better experience than others and I have lots to be grateful for, but I can't help comparing mine to other people's uni experience's on social media and wishing that I had an opportunity to redo first year again. Do any second years have any similar experiences or tips on how to rectify this in second year?
Make more effort and see things through in year2 or if it was that bad pack it in and go and restart elsewhere. Plenty of people have unhappy and lonely experiences whilst others make an effort and bond with a few good friends. Obviously there are a lot of fairweather friends as well. What you need to ask is what do you offer as a friend and then make sure its worth other people bothering with.

Societies are hard and awkward at first, so you have to stick with it.
Use other peoples networks
Practice being sociable.
bulbawill
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey! I think the regrets you expressed are understandable. I got really involved in the SU and student politics, societies and with social groups and my first year has been amazing! But it's not too late. I know people in third or second year who only got involved after first year, so I'd suggest sticking with it and trying to make a change going into second year. If it puts you at any ease, I made a video about my experience of getting to university!
https://youtu.be/DQVLJ-4WvgM
username1229433
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sounds like someone sold you false dreams about uni life....

Posted from TSR Mobile
SHUGURU
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Belmar)

Hi Belmar,

I had quite a similar experience to you in first year. It seems like you do have a great group of friends, but seeing your flatmates every day is probably just reminding you that you're not as close with them as you wished to begin with.

I think that next year when you've moved out, you'll feel so much better because you'll always be with the people you feel closer to! Look forward to this rather than worrying about the people who you aren't as close to now. Not everybody becomes close with their flatmates - although sometimes it can seem like it - I know people who have moved into second year without keeping in contact with their first year flatmates whatsoever because they simply didn't become close and that's okay! The important thing to remember is that you do have a great group of friends.

As for societies, it's definitely not too late. I was too scared to really get involved in first year, but I've just finished second year now and joining two or three societies has really made my university life so much better. The societies I'm in are basically just a big group of friends with a similar interest, often doing fun activities and socials and sometimes learning new skills and always meeting new people.

People join societies each year as Freshers come in and people decide to try new things, so don't be worried! And only having one year here is definitely not a reason not to join! A year can be just what you need to boost your confidence and make a big group of friends before going abroad and using your confidence to have an amazing time. If your students' union has a freshers' fair/societies fair type event, try chatting to the members who are representing the societies you're interested in so that you recognise somebody in the first meeting or social - that's what I did this year and it really helped me go to that first meeting and to continue going. I would really recommend getting involved with at least one in your second year.

I hope this helps! If you have any more specific questions, let me know
Thelma2016
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I regret spending so much DAMN money! Seriously though, accommodation, kitchen stuff, bedroom ruff, FOOD, it all cost waaaaay too much. My cousin found this company called free the fresher that basically gives you all that stuff cheap, wish I had something like that
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (114)
17.73%
It's just nice to be back! (177)
27.53%
Not great so far... (229)
35.61%
I want to drop out! (123)
19.13%

Watched Threads