?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Buildup to the exam on Monday...
boi_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What Poem/Novel/Drama you doing mate? I'm doing Songs Ourselves Vol 1/Secret River/View From A Bridge
JMR2019.
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
(Original post by chinkinator)
What Poem/Novel/Drama you doing mate? I'm doing Songs Ourselves Vol 1/Secret River/View From A Bridge
I'm doing Spies and Songs of Ourselves Vol 2, Part 1.
amal29
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by JMR2017)
I'm doing Spies and Songs of Ourselves Vol 2, Part 1.
I'll be doing Volume 1 Part 5, as well as Spies and I'm pretty much dreading it. Any predictions for Spies?
JMR2019.
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
How long do you think we should write for each question, and how many quotes should we include?
amal29
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
For the extract question, pretty much analyse most of it - or the most significant bits. But for the passage question, at least 6-7 well-developed reasonings. Mate, do you have any predictions for Spies?!
How long do you think we should write for each question, and how many quotes should we include?
JMR2019.
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
(Original post by amal29)
For the extract question, pretty much analyse most of it - or the most significant bits. But for the passage question, at least 6-7 well-developed reasonings. Mate, do you have any predictions for Spies?!
Let me look at the past papers and I'll get back to you in a few minutes.
JMR2019.
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
I'll do Chapters 1-5 first.
There have been a couple of Stephen with Keith's mother/Barbara Berill in the hideout in Chapter 5 so there is a lower chance another extract from that will come up again.

I think these could be the ones that could come up:

1) Anything from Chapter 1
2)Chapter 2, ANYTHING EXCEPT FOR 'Keith's father on the other hand' to 'work for the secret service'.(This has already been in a past paper). I think start of Chapter 2 to 'towards the station beyond'
3) Start of Chapter 3 to 'She has her eye on us all' has already come up, so I doubt it will come up. I think 'He begins to make a record of our observations' to 'assumptions and interpretations' could come up. Another possible extract is anywhere from 'The consequences of this investigation' to 'beyond imagination or recall'.
4) Anywhere from 'Anyway says my mother' to 'Hayward's house than there are at ours'- NB: I have not seen anything from this chapter in PPQ's- possible this might come up.
5) Low chance something from here will come up, I have seen 2 questions fro Chapter 5 before.
amal29
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you so much bud; this is very informative.

Do you think the passage question could possibly be based on the concept of memory?

I'll do Chapters 1-5 first.
There have been a couple of Stephen with Keith's mother/Barbara Berill in the hideout in Chapter 5 so there is a lower chance another extract from that will come up again.

I think these could be the ones that could come up:

1) Anything from Chapter 1
2)Chapter 2, ANYTHING EXCEPT FOR 'Keith's father on the other hand' to 'work for the secret service'.(This has already been in a past paper). I think start of Chapter 2 to 'towards the station beyond'
3) Start of Chapter 3 to 'She has her eye on us all' has already come up, so I doubt it will come up. I think 'He begins to make a record of our observations' to 'assumptions and interpretations' could come up. Another possible extract is anywhere from 'The consequences of this investigation' to 'beyond imagination or recall'.
4) Anywhere from 'Anyway says my mother' to 'Hayward's house than there are at ours'- NB: I have not seen anything from this chapter in PPQ's- possible this might come up.
5) Low chance something from here will come up, I have seen 2 questions fro Chapter 5 before.
JMR2019.
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Chapters 6-11

Chapter 6: Ones which have come up before: 'The sound of the train has died away.' to 'skulking, ancient land beyond the tunnel.'

Ones which could come up: 'What is it that wakes me?' to 'world around me evaporates'
'The Close as I come running blindly' to 'heavily darned heel'
'She was writing letters' to ''lets go home'.

Chapter 7: 'The silence is heavy with the same explanation' to 'the famous bayonet
'I have started running towards' to 'she says humbly'.

Chapter 8: 'Barbara Berrill puts her hand over her mouth' to 'small point of domestic routine'
'And now everything has changed once again' to 'May I come in?'

Chapter 9: 'The light's on above the workbench' to 'behind my back'
'My troubles are getting not better but worse' to 'For ever'

Chapter 10: 'Poor kid' to 'my approach'
NOT: 'He suddenly raises' to 'whispered words' (already come up)

Chapter 11: I doubt anything will come up from here.
JMR2019.
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Thank you so much bud; this is very informative.

Do you think the passage question could possibly be based on the concept of memory?
Possibly, It usually asks 'How does Frayn covey....in this passage or How does Frayn make this an ..... passage,
E.G Some examples: 'How does Frayn make this an amusing moment in the novel' or 'How does Frayn make this an exciting moment in the novel' or 'How does Frayn vividly convey Keith's feelings in the novel' or 'How does Frayn make X an amusing character'

It is worth remembering some (e.g 20-30) quotes if the passage question is hard. They do not have to be very long.
User5050
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just wondering whether anybody has information on what poems are going to come up tomorrow?
JMR2019.
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
(Original post by User5050)
Just wondering whether anybody has information on what poems are going to come up tomorrow?
Which poems are you doing?
User5050
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Songs of ourselves Volume 1 Part 5
Joemac_
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Anyone doing the *****y book that is 'No Longer at Ease'?
JMR2019.
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
(Original post by User5050)
Songs of ourselves Volume 1 Part 5
I'm doing Volume 2 Part 1, but this person does good analysis on some of the other ones as well
http://www.cieliterature.com/
BlueNova42
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Buildup to the exam on Monday...
Doing Spies, Gillian Clarke poetry and A view from the bridge
BlueNova42
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Possibly, It usually asks 'How does Frayn covey....in this passage or How does Frayn make this an ..... passage,
E.G Some examples: 'How does Frayn make this an amusing moment in the novel' or 'How does Frayn make this an exciting moment in the novel' or 'How does Frayn vividly convey Keith's feelings in the novel' or 'How does Frayn make X an amusing character'

It is worth remembering some (e.g 20-30) quotes if the passage question is hard. They do not have to be very long.

Awesome! this is gonna save me!
Dudeuclifford1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm doing Volume 2 Part 1, but this person does good analysis on some of the other ones as well
http://www.cieliterature.com/
What do u think will come up tomorrow in volume 2 part 1
JMR2019.
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
(Original post by Dudeuclifford1)
What do u think will come up tomorrow in volume 2 part 1
4 poems have not come up yet:
Heart and Mind
Last Sonnet
Coming Home
Stabat Mater

So probably one of these, but still look over the others because I cannot be 100% sure.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19
  • Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (109)
17.3%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.79%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.46%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (92)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
10%
How can I be the best version of myself? (188)
29.84%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed