Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How can i identify issues of reliability and validity? and how can i tell one form the other?

ReputationRep:
    Reliability is when something is replicable and has also consistent results. For example Milgram's study was high in reliability because his experiment had a standardised procedure (e.g the machine, the draw and the whole process could be replicable). For example Burger successfully replicated Milgram's study and the results were consistent (meaning that they didn't change a lot) as Milgrams results were 65% and Burgers was 70%.
    Validity is basically if you're measuring what you intend to. For example if you test someone on memory and you make him recall stuff it's high in vanity because you measure exactly what you intend to (memory).
    You can talk about something being low or high in reliability depending on how easy it is to replicate and have consistent data (e.g. if there's a standardised procedure it'll be easy)
    Validity you can argue that it's high because there are no other factors affecting what you're measuring, or it may be low since the study doesn't account for other factors (e.g in Milgram's study people might have had an authoritarian personality which is when you obey authority figures with no questioning which will lead to low validity as you don't measure how obedience truly occurs in normal people). You can also talk about ecological validity, which is how a study is similar to real life e.g in Milgram's study people were asked to administer shocks which is low on ecological validity as this is not how obedience would occur in real life as no one will ask you to administer shocks to someone on the street.
    Sorry if it's long I hope it helps. :awesome:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SofiaTW)
    Reliability is when something is replicable and has also consistent results. For example Milgram's study was high in reliability because his experiment had a standardised procedure (e.g the machine, the draw and the whole process could be replicable). For example Burger successfully replicated Milgram's study and the results were consistent (meaning that they didn't change a lot) as Milgrams results were 65% and Burgers was 70%.
    Validity is basically if you're measuring what you intend to. For example if you test someone on memory and you make him recall stuff it's high in vanity because you measure exactly what you intend to (memory).
    You can talk about something being low or high in reliability depending on how easy it is to replicate and have consistent data (e.g. if there's a standardised procedure it'll be easy)
    Validity you can argue that it's high because there are no other factors affecting what you're measuring, or it may be low since the study doesn't account for other factors (e.g in Milgram's study people might have had an authoritarian personality which is when you obey authority figures with no questioning which will lead to low validity as you don't measure how obedience truly occurs in normal people). You can also talk about ecological validity, which is how a study is similar to real life e.g in Milgram's study people were asked to administer shocks which is low on ecological validity as this is not how obedience would occur in real life as no one will ask you to administer shocks to someone on the street.
    Sorry if it's long I hope it helps. :awesome:
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thats really useful! thanks! and i just read something called internal and external reliability/validity. We haven't learned this in class, what are they? And please keep giving examples, they really help. Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    Well internal validity is the simple one that I've stated earlier, and external is the ecological validity that i also stated earlier.
    Again internal validity is when you're measuring what you intend to, and external is how much an experiment/study reflects the every day world e.g if a study makes people recall words to test memory it'll be low in ecological/external validity as in the real world your memory will not be required to recall a list of words.
    Internal reliability is what I've said before as well, about how replicable something is creating consistent results (you must include "consistent data" when talking about reliability, if it's not reliable it won't have consistent results and vice versa ), and I've never heard of external reliability, so I can't really commend on it, yet you don't need to use it to get full marks.
    You can state just validity instead of internal validity, yet you need to state either ecological or external (same thing) Validity for the second one. I would suggest that you always talk about ecological/external validity because pretty much every experiment and study is "artificial" meaning that the tasks that they use to measure what they want to do not reflect real life. I can give you an example paragraph of how to use it in a question but we may be doing different papers. I'm doing edexcel bit I can still help you if you want.
    I hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    That would be great if you could, i suck at finding these things in a novel scenario. And im not gonna worry too much on internal reliability, i have other stuff to worry about XD

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I'll use again Milgram's study cause that's the obvious one xD

One disadvantage of Milgram's study is that it's low in ecological validity. That's because the experiment had tasks that would not happen in a real life situation. For example the participants were required to administer electric shocks to the confederate to show obedience in the presence of a high authority figure, yet that's not how obedience would happen in real life as you don't need to administer shocks.
    That's it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SofiaTW)
    Okay so I'll use again Milgram's study cause that's the obvious one xD

One disadvantage of Milgram's study is that it's low in ecological validity. That's because the experiment had tasks that would not happen in a real life situation. For example the participants were required to administer electric shocks to the confederate to show obedience in the presence of a high authority figure, yet that's not how obedience would happen in real life as you don't need to administer shocks.
    That's it
    I get it now. Cheers mate

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone find the exam? I thought it was a really nice paper, just a few questions that threw me e.g. 6 marks in researcher bias for Kohlberg. What did people get for the level of measurement? I think i got ordinal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charlotteellis3)
    How did everyone find the exam? I thought it was a really nice paper, just a few questions that threw me e.g. 6 marks in researcher bias for Kohlberg. What did people get for the level of measurement? I think i got ordinal
    I said ratio. But I'm not sure. That 6 mark on kohlberg I just wrote 3 lines about how he is sexiest and he may have societal views on foreign cultures.
    Overall I didn't like the paper. I wasn't sure about a lot of things.
    What did you guys say for the reliability? And how did you rectify it?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that threw me a bit too tbh :0

ReputationRep:
    Who was expecting standard deviation to come up tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plaguemutt)
    Who was expecting standard deviation to come up tho
    Me - i revised it as well but the mean for 4 marks and a bar chart for 5 marks were soo nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tescdude)
    I said ratio. But I'm not sure. That 6 mark on kohlberg I just wrote 3 lines about how he is sexiest and he may have societal views on foreign cultures.
    Overall I didn't like the paper. I wasn't sure about a lot of things.
    What did you guys say for the reliability? And how did you rectify it?
    Yeah i kinda said the same thing for Kohlberg i didn't know how to expand it so went on about social desirability and demand characteristics i know that doesn't really link but was just trying to do as much as i can. Oh great i swear I've got that level of measurement wrong then because i wasn't sure

What was the reliability question again i can't remember :hmmmm:

ReputationRep:
    What alternative sampling did you say for Milgram ?

ReputationRep:
    Me - i revised it as well but the mean for 4 marks and a bar chart for 5 marks were soo nice
    True omg, so glad I checked through my work as I had the wrong mean for males by 1 at first :0

ReputationRep:
    I think I did systematic, wbu??

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i kinda said the same thing for Kohlberg i didn't know how to expand it so went on about social desirability and demand characteristics i know that doesn't really link but was just trying to do as much as i can. Oh great i swear I've got that level of measurement wrong then because i wasn't sure

What was the reliability question again i can't remember :hmmmm:
    Something like what issue of reliability is there when the kids do film tests and one group can use a computer to test their knowledge or something

ReputationRep:
    I said opportunity sampling. He could just stand outside his front doors and choose people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tescdude)
    I said opportunity sampling. He could just stand outside his front doors and choose people.
    Im so so annoyed i wrote that as my first answer but then i crossed it out because i was thinking he couldn't do it very easily because he'd have to ask for permission and then get them to come to him in the lab. I don't even know but i completely over thought it and said systematic sampling instead

ReputationRep:
    Im so so annoyed i wrote that as my first answer but then i crossed it out because i was thinking he couldn't do it very easily because he'd have to ask for permission and then get them to come to him in the lab. I don't even know but i completely over thought it and said systematic sampling instead
    What did you say for systematic? How would he do that? Opportunity is a go to for me. It is so literal and simple

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 25, 2017

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.