The Student Room Group

What happens to Sex chromosomes during meiosis?

What happens to sex chromosomes during meiosis considering they're are not homologous pair because of their shape and size?
For females, there are two X chromosomes. These are homologous and will act as autosomes. X and Y chromosomes are slightly different, but they have homologous regions of DNA at their tips.

These tips do pair up through bending of the X chromosome and crossing over will occur - in fact it has to occur, otherwise they will not be able to separate properly. This is because of their sizes being different. Crossing over connects the X and Y chromosomes so that spindle fibres can successfully align them at the equator.

After this they can be pulled to opposite poles of the cell and on cell division act like autosomes.

It's actually more complex than my description but I'm not too well read in this area.
Original post by boriapple
For females, there are two X chromosomes. These are homologous and will act as autosomes. X and Y chromosomes are slightly different, but they have homologous regions of DNA at their tips.

These tips do pair up through bending of the X chromosome and crossing over will occur - in fact it has to occur, otherwise they will not be able to separate properly. This is because of their sizes being different. Crossing over connects the X and Y chromosomes so that spindle fibres can successfully align them at the equator.

After this they can be pulled to opposite poles of the cell and on cell division act like autosomes.

It's actually more complex than my description but I'm not too well read in this area.

Thankyou for replying. I am an A-level student so i don't really need to understand it in great detail either but i was confused how the sex chromosomes would get separated to ultimately determine the gender of the offspring, brief description is what i was after. so thanks again! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending