Bible study? Watch

python03
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Just wanted to see if anyone interested in Bible study sessions, say once a week at a certain time? It would be a discussion involving passage + analysis + application (does that work?)
I'm fairly unsure about this, doesn't look like it has been done before...
Not really ideal for IGCSE/IAL revision
Racoon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by leekn)
Just wanted to see if anyone interested in Bible study sessions, say once a week at a certain time? It would be a discussion involving passage + analysis + application (does that work?)

I could try and drop by but can't guarantee to be available each week, good idea though
python03
Rep:
?
(Original post by Racoon)
I could try and drop by but can't guarantee to be available each week, good idea though
Just trying to get a rough estimate say if 5+ people are interested then this could be a thing?
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes it's a good idea
Create a group and people will come
You won't just get Christians though
Expect lots of bashing!
But I think it's worth a go.
It'll be difficult to set a time. Just let it run as and when
python03
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sammylou40)
Yes it's a good idea
Expect lots of bashing!
Create a group? Sorry, I'm not familiar with too much of TSR... how does that work?
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by leekn)
Create a group? Sorry, I'm not familiar with too much of TSR... how does that work?
No I've no idea. Perhaps if you ask a mod? There's a link at the bottom of threads I think!
Treblebee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm in! Be aware that, as an IGCSE-er, I may not be able to participate 100% of the time, but I'll do my best
Also, I'm not completely sure, but I think you can create groups by PMing, and adding lots of people to the list? Ugh you should probably ask a mod, though
NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Does it have to be a certain time?

Why not just pick a passage that people can discuss - i.e. add light not heat

I suggest Acts 2, the birth of the Church.

"And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place" (v1)

Pentecost was the one feast (our "Whitsun", 4th June this year) when the offering was to be "with leaven" (Leviticus 23:15-21)
This is indicates the way that natural man comes to God, for him to make him a new meat offering by the infilling of His Spirit!
FHL123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by leekn)
Maybe we could make a private group on fb or twitter instead ?
python03
Rep:
?
(Original post by NJA)
Does it have to be a certain time?

Why not just pick a passage that people can discuss - i.e. add light not heat

I suggest Acts 2, the birth of the Church.

"And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place" (v1)

Pentecost was the one feast (our "Whitsun", 4th June this year) when the offering was to be "with leaven" (Leviticus 23:15-21)
That sounds great! Should I open another thread or continue on this one then?
NJA
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by leekn)
That sounds great! Should I open another thread or continue on this one then?
May as well keep it here!

Change it every week, starting Mondays.

(for some buggy technical reason the last lne of my previous post disappeatrs when I try to copy or amend:
"This is indicates the way that natural man comes to God, for him to make him a new meat offering by the infilling of His Spirit!")
Rodders123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
the bible is my favourite fiction book
AngryJellyfish
  • Section Leader
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by leekn)
If that's still something you're interested in making, the TSR groups page is here. :yes: It'd help you keep a list of anyone interested, and give all members a profile badge.
sherbet_lemons7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey! We did this a few years ago in xsoc and it worked really well. The way we did it was a passage with some points for thinking about were posted in a thread and over the week people posted their responses. It was not a place for argument- all views of people responding seriously were treated with respect.

Also this is a bit spooky, as I posted in xsoc last night about staring one up again. I would also encourage folk interested to make use of our xsoc page! 'Tis rather quiet in there nowadays. :sadnod:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...2#post71610398
sherbet_lemons7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes it's a good idea
Expect lots of bashing!
If it's a thread that's not for theological debate, we politely direct them towards the "Ask a Christian" thread. :yep: Mods are ususally very good at keeping these threads on track.
NJA
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by sherbet_lemons7)
If it's a thread that's not for theological debate, we politely direct them towards the "Ask a Christian" thread. :yep: Mods are ususally very good at keeping these threads on track.
It's a thread for people to share what they get from a bible passage, so it wouldn't really fit the above thread. Let's stick with Acts 2 unless you want to mention another passage that is really speaking to you? ... or do both ... why not?

let's not let this thread descend into taking about how to talk instead of just getting on with it!
sherbet_lemons7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by NJA)
It's a thread for people to share what they get from a bible passage, so it wouldn't really fit the above thread. Let's stick with Acts 2 unless you want to mention another passage that is really speaking to you? ... or do both ... why not?

let's not let this thread descend into taking about how to talk instead of just getting on with it!
Sorry? Not really sure what you're telling me here. In that quote I was letting the poster know what the general course of action is if someone decides to turn a thread like a bible study into a debate/insult throwing contest.
Sammylou40
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ok. I'll try to start then
Do you think then from this passage that you could not describe yourself as a Christian before Pentecost?
Could Jesus' followers not call them selves Christian?
I considered myself Christian from a young age but realise that I was not fully so until filled with the Holy Spirit.
What do you think?
NJA
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Ok. I'll try to start then
Do you think then from this passage that you could not describe yourself as a Christian before Pentecost?
Could Jesus' followers not call them selves Christian?
I considered myself Christian from a young age but realise that I was not fully so until filled with the Holy Spirit.
What do you think?
People have their own definition of a "Christian".

I've found one in the bible -
"you are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his." (Romans 8v9)

Since the Spirit "was not given" until Pentecost (see John 7:37-39, Acts 2v33), you have come to the same realisation!
python03
Rep:
?
(Original post by NJA)
People have their own definition of a "Christian".

I've found one in the bible -
"you are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his." (Romans 8v9)

Since the Spirit "was not given" until Pentecost (see John 7:37-39, Acts 2v33), you have come to the same realisation!
Thank you all for your kind replies!
Um... I think maybe we might need to define Christian first?
- someone who is saved
- lives according to God's Word
- has faith in God
- shares the Gospel & teaches others to live like Christ
- is led by the Holy Spirit
(ref: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/christi...e-a-christian/)

If one defines a Christian as the above, then Jesus' followers could or could not be called Christians.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (34)
14.23%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.79%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
20.92%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (34)
14.23%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (29)
12.13%
How can I be the best version of myself? (71)
29.71%

Watched Threads