Qer
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...%20Edexcel.pdf

I totally don't understand part c of question 6
finding AC

i think that we can use sine rule here like that
9/sin2.04 =ac/sin 0.7 { ( 0.7 + pi/2 )-pi=0.7 radian} ( is that right way)
and i got 3.09.....

but in mark scheme, they use tan 0.7=ac/9

is my method is valid
Swissblade
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Qer)

finding AC

and i got 3.09.....

is my method is valid
OA is perpendicular to AC - there's a 90° angle. Hence you only need to use sin/cos/tan, not sine or cosine rule (you use this when there isn't a 90° angle).
Qer
Rep:
(Original post by markschemes)
oa is perpendicular to ac - there's a 90 degree angle. Hence you only need to use sin/cos/tan, not sine or cosine rule.
can you please explain me ? I didn't understand
Qer
Rep:
(Original post by markschemes)
OA is perpendicular to AC - there's a 90° angle. Hence you only need to use sin/cos/tan, not sine or cosine rule (you use this when there isn't a 90° angle).
Name:  URGENT.PNG
Views: 236
Size:  74.0 KB ???
Philip-flop
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Qer)
Name:  URGENT.PNG
Views: 236
Size:  74.0 KB ???
What seems to be your problem?

Do you not understand Pythagoras?
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Qer)

finding AC

and i got 3.09.....

is my method is valid
It's a right angled triangle... you don't need to use the sine rule...... you only need to use basic trigonometry...

BUT if you insist on doing so, then to find length you need to do \displaystyle \frac{9}{\sin(\frac{\pi}{2}-0.7)}=\frac{AC}{\sin(0.7)} which gives AC=7.58
Swissblade
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Qer)
???
Where's the confusion? The text says only use sin/cos/tan if there's a 90 degree angle.

For the question in OP, tan(x) = \frac{opposite}{adjacent} \Rightarrow tan(0.7) = \frac{opposite}{9}, rearrange for opposite. This is a GCSE topic buddy.
RDKGames
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Qer)
???
What you have highlighted does not refer to the sine rule which is \frac{\sin(A)}{a}=\frac{\sin(B)}{b}=\frac{\sin(C)}{c}

nor the cosine rule which is a^2=b^2+c^2-2bc\cos(A)
Swissblade
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Qer)
i am just try to clear my confusion.the markscheme said that you can't use sine and cosine in right angle triangle when 90 degree angle is present.............while book says its better
You're confusing sine/cosine/tangent, which are functions, with the "sine rule" and "cosine rule", which are equations. They're not the same at all.
Qer
Rep:
(Original post by RDKGames)
It's a right angled triangle... you don't need to use the sine rule...... you only need to use basic trigonometry...

BUT if you insist on doing so, then to find length you need to do \displaystyle \frac{9}{\sin(\frac{\pi}{2}-0.7)}=\frac{AC}{\sin(0.7)} which gives AC=7.58
OK I understand

one thing still confuses me that why you use pi/2 -0.7

why we don't use pi -( pi/2 +0.7 )
RDKGames
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Qer)
OK I understand

one thing still confuses me that why you use pi/2 -0.7

why we don't use pi -( pi/2 +0.7 )
It's the same thing
Qer
Rep:
(Original post by RDKGames)
It's the same thing
ohh

just confusing myself :afraid:

thanks
Qer
Rep:
thanks, everyone.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.24%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.67%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (141)
26.16%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.16%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (261)
48.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.34%

Watched Threads