The Student Room Group

recommend me an iconic movie

I haven't seen many movies, i want to watch a good one but can't think of anything good. something quite funny and high school based would be good :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by noor.m
I haven't seen many movies, i want to watch a good one but can't think of anything good. something quite funny and high school based would be good :smile:

Ferris Buellers Day Off
Legally Blonde
Clueless
School of Rock
21 Jump Street
National Lampoons Animal House
The House Bunny
Grease
Easy A
Heathers (not funny)
Election
Mean Girls.
Original post by noor.m

Breakfast at Tiffany's
The Breakfast Club
The Full Monty
Ben-Hur (I've only watched the new one which is shorter)
Original post by noor.m

omg i need this thread!
if i were to rewatch my favourites. i would probably watch:
suicide squad

men in black
grown ups
pitch perfect
barbershop 1,2 and 3
step up (3 and 5 i think are my favs, the mob one and the most recent)
great gatsby
rush hour

i know these aren't really iconic but i like them and find them a good laugh. i could've given you a longer list but my netflix is logged out atm

high school musical? aha
(edited 6 years ago)
THE ORIGINAL MUMMY MOVIES

Spoiler

Reply 5
Original post by clumsyorange
THE ORIGINAL MUMMY MOVIES

Spoiler

The 1932 one with Boris Karloff? Or the series that kicked off in 1959?

MASH. It's much grittier than the series.
star wars
shawshank redemption
back to the future
terminator
pulp fiction
the matrix
lord of the rings

edit-high school and comedy best ones:
21 and 22 jump street
american pie 1,2 and 3 and maybe the side ones if you want
SUPERBAD
(edited 6 years ago)
'Iconic' and 'High School' don't really go together. The only exception is Clueless.
Original post by Tootles
The 1932 one with Boris Karloff? Or the series that kicked off in 1959?

MASH. It's much grittier than the series.

I haven't seen the 1959 series, is it any good?

It would be interesting to watch the Karloff movie and the Brendan Fraser one consecutively
Reply 9
Original post by clumsyorange
I haven't seen the 1959 series, is it any good?

It would be interesting to watch the Karloff movie and the Brendan Fraser one consecutively
The two film series, starting in 1932 and 1959 respectively, were really good. The newer ones were crap.
Original post by Snufkin
'Iconic' and 'High School' don't really go together. The only exception is Clueless.

American pie?
Original post by galingo
American pie?

Nah, it hasn't aged well. Our kids won't watch it, but they will watch Clueless.
The Lion King
Entire Bond Series (from Dr No to Spectre)
Indiana Jones films
Pretty In Pink
Taxi Driver
Forrest Gump
Pan's Labyrinth (Spanish film but with English subtitles)
Psycho (Hitchcock's)
The Godfather Part 1 + 2 + 3
Goodfellas
Die Hard
See No Evil Hear No Evil
The Dark Knight
The Dark Knight Rises
Reservoir Dogs
Kill Bil Vol 1 and 2
Fight Club
The Shawshank Redemption (This is the highest rated film on IMDB so put it on the top of your list, a real emotional brilliant film)
Inception
Se7en
Red Dragon*
The Silence of The Lambs*
Hannibal*
*Hannibal Lecter film series with Anthony Hopkins, watch them in that order for Narrative order
The Usual Suspects
Saving Private Ryan
The Green Mile
Back to The Future (all three)
Alien
Titanic
Django Unchained
American Beauty

Any of the top 250 from IMDb http://www.imdb.com/chart/top
Original post by Snufkin

John Hughes films like Pretty and Pink and Ferris Bueller? Oh and Mean Girls is spawning into a cult classic.
Original post by jadeyfletch
John Hughes films like Pretty and Pink and Ferris Bueller? Oh and Mean Girls is spawning into a cult classic.

I haven't seen Pretty and Pink or Ferris Bueller. Mean Girls is certainly a cult classic, but it didn't influence an entire generation of teenagers. Clueless did. It almost single handily made grunge uncool and changed the face and look of the 90s.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by noor.m

Are you into anime? Studio Ghibli is good x
Of course, there's Your Name as well, which is kinda high school based... it's more supernatural? Idk, I don't rlly know genres... :tongue:
Anything de niro and Scorsese. And some old Japanese directors are pretty good
The Cove...
Original post by Snufkin
I haven't seen Pretty and Pink or Ferris Bueller. Mean Girls is certainly a cult classic, but it didn't influence an entire generation of teenagers. Clueless did. It almost single handily made grunge uncool and changed the face and look of the 90s.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2014/04/30/why-mean-girls-still-matters-10-years-later/#7052d3a462fa

Mean Girls has certainly impacted the millennial generation

I certainly recommend that you watch Pretty In Pink and Ferris Bueller though.

Legally Blonde is certainly another that has influenced a society, in more ways than one.
Original post by noor.m

Don't know any high-school based ones, but I do know a few funny ones (in my opinion (not every moment is funny, just reactions and jokes!)):
Simpsons Movie
Red Dwarf
'Allo 'Allo
etc. etc.

Quick Reply

Latest