johnnyy90
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi I need a portable laptop for university, preferably no more than 13 inches. I will mainly be using it for writing essays, browsing the web and watching films. I have looked at getting the Macbook Air, since you can get it brand new for that price, through gumtree and it seems perfect for me considering it's portable and light and also comes with a decent i5 processor. However the Air has not been upgraded for a while, especially the screen which seems pretty poor. Therefore I would like to listen to any other suggestions that may work for me, thanks.
p.s. I want a laptop that will last me for a good 4-5 years not something that will break down after 2 years, hence my increased budget.
username612415
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tomekplnd)
Hi I need a portable laptop for university, preferably no more than 13 inches. I will mainly be using it for writing essays, browsing the web and watching films. I have looked at getting the Macbook Air, since you can get it brand new for that price, through gumtree and it seems perfect for me considering it's portable and light and also comes with a decent i5 processor. However the Air has not been upgraded for a while, especially the screen which seems pretty poor. Therefore I would like to listen to any other suggestions that may work for me, thanks.
p.s. I want a laptop that will last me for a good 4-5 years not something that will break down after 2 years, hence my increased budget.
The MacBook Air hasn't been updated in over two years, Apple are only keeping it around be because they need to have something they can sell for under four figures. The hardware is dated, don't buy it.

If you want something on the same scale of slimness as the MacBook Air would personally stretch to another £50 and get this Asus Zenbook UX310. The current gen i5, 8GB of RAM and SSD mean excellent performance, but what sets this apart from other laptops in this price range is the extremely thin body made of metal and the awesome 3200 x 1800 display. If you'd rather not go over budget then I'd probably get this Acer, you're getting the same 7200U/8GB/256GB internal spec line in a body that's still slim and light, but you lose the super-thinness and move from a super-high res display down to a (still very decent) full HD touchscreen.
johnnyy90
Rep:
?
Thanks, I will have a look
Supreme Dalek
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have an Asus X series laptop which I bought for my GCSEs in 2014 and it has done what I needed and it only cost £400.
johnnyy90
Rep:
?
My main concern with the laptop would be the cheap plastic and the large bezel, which does not contrast well with the screen.
username612415
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My main concern with the laptop would be the cheap plastic and the large bezel, which does not contrast well with the screen.
Unfortunately you're going to get some degree of plastic on any Windows laptop that isn't either priced in the same tier of the MacBook and MacBook Pro lines, or spec'd lower in some capacity- if you can find anything all-metal and bezelless for under £750 at all, because I sure as hell can't after a quick sweep through my usual stable of preferred laptop sellers. You're already asking for an expensive combination of a slim sub-14" form factor and specs suitable for 4+ years of use, you're going to have to make concessions somewhere and a plastic bezel is really not something I'd be thinking of as a deal breaker.
johnnyy90
Rep:
?
Seems the UX330 has a far superior build, is it worth the £50 extra? Also is it any different to the UX310 apart from the aluminium body and bezel? Here's the link to the UX330. https://www.johnlewis.com/asus-zenbo...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
username612415
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Seems the UX330 has a far superior build, is it worth the £50 extra? Also is it any different to the UX310 apart from the aluminium body and bezel? Here's the link to the UX330. https://www.johnlewis.com/asus-zenbo...Q&gclsrc=aw.ds
It looks like it's solely a design improvement, the internal components appear to be identical.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (64)
22.22%
Excited but a bit nervous (129)
44.79%
Not bothered either way (36)
12.5%
I'm really nervous (59)
20.49%

Watched Threads