The Student Room Group

Struggling with MAT

I'm in Year 12 and saw today a MAT paper for the first time and really struggled. I could only solve 3 of the multiple choice questions and got worried as I think only C1 and C2 knowledge is required.

I know A level maths is easy but I was doing excellent at school with mostly
100s (did C1,C2,FP1,M1,M2,D1 this year) and probably 75/75 in the Edexcel C1 exam, as well as about 70/75 in FP1.

I was thinking of studying maths at university but now I'm re-thinking. Does my poor performance in the MAT mean that I may not be suited/good enough for a maths degree and look to other options?
For A levels, I think I can get A*A*A so I aim for top universities only. Even if I get to a university that MAT or STEP is not essential (like Warwick or UCL) will I struggle with a maths course?
Original post by dell1234
I'm in Year 12 and saw today a MAT paper for the first time and really struggled. I could only solve 3 of the multiple choice questions and got worried as I think only C1 and C2 knowledge is required.

I know A level maths is easy but I was doing excellent at school with mostly
100s (did C1,C2,FP1,M1,M2,D1 this year) and probably 75/75 in the Edexcel C1 exam, as well as about 70/75 in FP1.

I was thinking of studying maths at university but now I'm re-thinking. Does my poor performance in the MAT mean that I may not be suited/good enough for a maths degree and look to other options?
For A levels, I think I can get A*A*A so I aim for top universities only. Even if I get to a university that MAT or STEP is not essential (like Warwick or UCL) will I struggle with a maths course?

Without practice, I too would struggle on a MAT or STEP paper - and I'm in my 3rd year of a maths degree!

Don't be too disheartened, everything is difficult without preparation and I don't think anyone does well on these kind of papers, even university exams, without practice, but after they do, it's okay.

Quick Reply

Latest