Friends dont visit me at University

Watch
LyndiBorthwick
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I started university last year and not one of my friends has made the effort to visit me. It is not particularly expensive or time consuming to travel to the uni. The only times my friends actually make the effort to see me is if i am home for the holidays. But, once i am back at uni for 3 months each time they dont bother. Whats worse is that my friend goes to my other friends university a few times a year but hasnt visited me once. Ive suggested it but has never taken up the offer. I dont particularly have many friends at uni, i only have one friend who i actually make plans with at uni. Now, my "friends" from home are making plans without me, i feel very forgotten and pushed aside. I see frequently on social media my friends being together at the other friends uni, its like they dont miss me at all. It's a shame because we were all so close but now they dont make any effort to see me.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 years ago
**** 'em

make more friends at uni :hugs:
username1842595
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Unfortunately people move on and make new friends and develop other priorities.

Try to make an effort to make new friends at university. I dont have friends either but I will be doing my best effort to make some at summer school and university.
Potato456
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you're friends are at home, it would probs be easier for you to see them there, when you visit family! I find it easier for my friend that's a few hours away to come home to see us and her family than for all of us trekking and paying to go up there tbh...friendship works both ways

Posted from TSR Mobile
abc_123_
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by LyndiBorthwick)
I started university last year and not one of my friends has made the effort to visit me. It is not particularly expensive or time consuming to travel to the uni. The only times my friends actually make the effort to see me is if i am home for the holidays. But, once i am back at uni for 3 months each time they dont bother. Whats worse is that my friend goes to my other friends university a few times a year but hasnt visited me once. Ive suggested it but has never taken up the offer. I dont particularly have many friends at uni, i only have one friend who i actually make plans with at uni. Now, my "friends" from home are making plans without me, i feel very forgotten and pushed aside. I see frequently on social media my friends being together at the other friends uni, its like they dont miss me at all. It's a shame because we were all so close but now they dont make any effort to see me.
Talk to them about it … have you asked to go and visit them at their unis?
If you're really close then they shouldn't be avoiding you … I can't wait to visit my friends in uni (when we all start which is in 2018) xx
LyndiBorthwick
Rep:
?
(Original post by abc_123_)
Talk to them about it … have you asked to go and visit them at their unis?
If you're really close then they shouldn't be avoiding you … I can't wait to visit my friends in uni (when we all start which is in 2018) xx
I've suggested it to them, but they always claim to be busy but their social media says otherwise and i always see them visiting other friends at their uni's. These girls get very defensive, they would turn it into a massive argument that would last forever.
LyndiBorthwick
Rep:
?
I've suggested it to them, but they always claim to be busy but their social media says otherwise and i always see them visiting other friends at their uni's. These girls get very defensive, they would turn it into a massive argument that would last forever.
Also, its the other way around. They dont visit me. I cant very well visit other friends uni when i need to be at my own university during term time.
Mr T 999
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
:rip:
gapyearlads
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You should make plans to meet up with them maybe altogether once a year or something for like a week or so? Go out somewhere together on holiday

They probably (may sound harsh) but want more space as they have other friends now. But it would be good to keep in touch so I suggest that. Because you don't want to come across like you don't care or like you care about them too much.

It will take time but make friends at uni too. Just be close with your current friend and maybe meet more people through him or people on your course

Hope that helps
gapyearlads
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Fermion.)
Unfortunately people move on and make new friends and develop other priorities.

Try to make an effort to make new friends at university. I dont have friends either but I will be doing my best effort to make some at summer school and university.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKTU4AarZ7A
LyndiBorthwick
Rep:
?
(Original post by gapyearlads)
You should make plans to meet up with them maybe altogether once a year or something for like a week or so? Go out somewhere together on holiday

They probably (may sound harsh) but want more space as they have other friends now. But it would be good to keep in touch so I suggest that. Because you don't want to come across like you don't care or like you care about them too much.

It will take time but make friends at uni too. Just be close with your current friend and maybe meet more people through him or people on your course

Hope that helps
It definitely not a space issue. we occassionally keep in touch every now and then. I have friends on my course but none who i can hang out due to not having much in common.
username1842595
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hahahahahah awwwww you wee cutie Jeff make me smile as always!!!
gapyearlads
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It definitely not a space issue. we occassionally keep in touch every now and then. I have friends on my course but none who i can hang out due to not having much in common.
Not having much in common is probably the best part! It means you can have a friendly chat or debate (as weird as that might sound). In my case it tends to be about football.

I hold quite different views so it makes a fun argument hahahaha. Otherwise you would just end up saying "yeah" and keep walking in silence.

So I think that's good that you keep in touch. Maybe reccommend like I said to meet up at the end of each uni year or something for a week off or whatever you want. They clearly sound like they don't want to visit you especially since they do it to others. It's sad to hear but hopefully it sorts itself!

Maybe you visit them? Do something with them at home? I get the impression they may think you are a bit too clingy ygm?
gapyearlads
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hahahahahah awwwww you wee cutie Jeff make me smile as always!!!
Just doing ma job
username1842595
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just doing ma job
When you gonna "bolt down the motorway" to see me then aye????
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Which uni do you go to?

When it comes to visiting people at uni a large part of it is going somewhere where there's more stuff going on, so if you're at e.g. Durham, Warwick, WInchester, etc then people are going to be strongly put off going.
Moura
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
tbh I do't know many people who have their friends from home visit them frequently! Everyone has their own lives going on! If people are working or have uni all week the last thing they want to do is spend the weekend travelling. They'll want to spend it at home wih their family or local friends. I think over all my time at uni for me and my friends the average is home friends visiting like once or twice... over 3-4 years!! and some of my friends only moved an hour away from home! you'll see them when you go home...
gapyearlads
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
When you gonna "bolt down the motorway" to see me then aye????
When I become a department leader! Better yet, store owner sounds good too

Or I could stop with a car full of lads when we on the way down to manchester to see the footy? I think one step at a time though ahahhaahaaha
username1842595
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
When I become a department leader! Better yet, store owner sounds good too

Or I could stop with a car full of lads when we on the way down to manchester to see the footy? I think one step at a time though ahahhaahaaha
Ermmmm naaaaa if you're gonna stop at Edinburgh just bring yourself the now not ur lads they'll prob take the piss and make weird noises in the background hahahaha :rofl:

Well hurry up then up ur game so u can buy a banging car and come see me!!! Bolt down the motorway
Anonymous #2
Report 4 years ago
If theyre making effort to see each other and not you then **** them, who needs friends like that?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (221)
43.68%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (57)
11.26%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (39)
7.71%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (107)
21.15%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
10.87%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed