Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, this is early, but sooner is better than later. Use this thread to do BMO1 and BMO2 preparation for the next year. Hopefully this thread will be helpful to everyone taking it.

Here is a spreadsheet with all the UKMT thresholds:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J843126028)
    Yeah, this is early, but sooner is better than later. Use this thread to do BMO1 and BMO2 preparation for the next year. Hopefully this thread will be helpful to everyone taking it.
    I think that most people are more concerned about their AS and A2 exams at the moment!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiny hobbit)
    I think that most people are more concerned about their AS and A2 exams at the moment!
    That's a good point... I'm in Year 10, so I didn't think of that!

ReputationRep:
    Mathsman116 and I are doing BMO papers and then sending our solutions to each other to mark them. Just tell me or Mathsman116 if you'd like to join in with us.

ReputationRep:
    Mathsman116 and I are doing BMO papers and then sending our solutions to each other to mark them. Just tell me or Mathsman116 if you'd like to join in with us.
    I'll try Q1 now and will do the rest tomorrow (if it's possible lol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathsman116)
    I'll try Q1 now and will do the rest tomorrow (if it's possible lol)
    How far have you got now? I've done the first two questions and part of the last one.

ReputationRep:
    How far have you got now? I've done the first two questions and part of the last one.
    I got full solutions to q1 and q4, haven't attempted 2 or 3 yet

ReputationRep:
    I got full solutions to q1 and q4, haven't attempted 2 or 3 yet
    Nice! Shall we mark each other's q1 solutions?

ReputationRep:
    Nice! Shall we mark each other's q1 solutions?
    Yeah ok, how do you want to do that?

ReputationRep:
    Do you have a scanner or a camera? Just send me a picture of your written solution.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1496151750.125312.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  144.0 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1496151772.866889.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  117.7 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There it is, sorry about the messy handwriting and algebra!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any tips such as good books to prepare for it along with doing the past papers, as it is likely that I will invest some of the summer preparing for the SMC and BMO?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMightyBadger)
    Does anyone have any tips such as good books to prepare for it along with doing the past papers, as it is likely that I will invest some of the summer preparing for the SMC and BMO?
    The UKMT books are very good although they focus primarily on olympiads, not the challenges. How have you done in past competitions?

ReputationRep:
    The UKMT books are very good although they focus primarily on olympiads, not the challenges. How have you done in past competitions?
    Not incredibly well, because I hadn't gained such an interest in and passion for maths until recently, so I didn't take the challenges that seriously and didn't put much effort into them and preparation for them. However, I have been practicing for them lately and I improved my score from last year in the IMC by about 35-40 points, but unfortunately missed out on the Maclaurin by about 10-15 points because I misread some of the earlier questions and forgot that frogs have two feet. Despite this misfortune, I still got into the Pink Kangaroo and got 107 and I will do this years Maclaurin paper after my GCSEs to see how I could have done. Then I will probably spend some of the summer doing preparation for the SMC and BMO along with learning C2 for A level Maths (I can already do C1), so that I can spend more time in the first term of sixth form doing preparation rather than A level maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMightyBadger)
    Not incredibly well, because I hadn't gained such an interest in and passion for maths until recently, so I didn't take the challenges that seriously and didn't put much effort into them and preparation for them. However, I have been practicing for them lately and I improved my score from last year in the IMC by about 35-40 points, but unfortunately missed out on the Maclaurin by about 10-15 points because I misread some of the earlier questions and forgot that frogs have two feet. Despite this misfortune, I still got into the Pink Kangaroo and got 107 and I will do this years Maclaurin paper after my GCSEs to see how I could have done. Then I will probably spend some of the summer doing preparation for the SMC and BMO along with learning C2 for A level Maths (I can already do C1), so that I can spend more time in the first term of sixth form doing preparation rather than A level maths.
    That's a good plan. Some BMO content is A level stuff (like binomial coefficients) so try to learn things like that first. 35-40 points is a big improvement though which is a good sign

ReputationRep:
    There it is, sorry about the messy handwriting and algebra!
    I recognise your handwriting. Did you write a JMO solution that got published on UKMT's website, by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    I recognise your handwriting. Did you write a JMO solution that got published on UKMT's website, by any chance?
    Nope but I'm interested to see it, which year was it?

ReputationRep:
    Very good. Ten marks. I didn't think of using AM-GM, so I did calculus instead. I'll post my solution in a minute.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.