Posted from TSR Mobile
Phil_C
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Let T be the total number of employees in the company

P:Q = 3:4 so 7 parts as you have in your solution

so P has 3/7 of T of which 20% are PT, or (1/5). P's-PT = (3/7)*(1/5) = 3/35 of the total workforce, = 3T/35
and Q has 4/7 of T of which 25% are PT, or (1/4). Q's-PT = (4/7)*(1/4) = 5/35 of the total workforce = 5T/35

so the fraction of workforce that are PT is 8/35 of T

8T/35 = 32
so T = 32*35/8 = 140 members of staff

60 at Portlee and 80 at Queentown from the 3:4 ratio of total employees
And of these [email protected] are PT and [email protected] giving the 32 PT overall
Phil_C
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Looking at your solution, I would suggest that this has come from a non calculator paper and you got to the stage of trying to work out what 1% was woth for your 45% = 32 employees and that was casuing you to question yourself as it wasn't a straight forward calculation. At this stage I would encourage you to go back and check your working, to see if you have made a careless arithmetic error, if you are convinced you haven't then you need to think is my method wrong, rereading the question and applying the methods again to see if I had made a mistake there? (In this case the error was assuming the %ages given referred to the whole company rather than those at a particular site) I would then only proceed if I was certain both of the above were faultless.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (588)
33.93%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (719)
41.49%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
20.02%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise