The Student Room Group

Cardiff or Liverpool Uni?

I've received offers for Accounting (and Finance) at both Liverpool and Cardiff...they both want the same grades (AAB) and are both in the Russell Group (not that being in the RG is the be all and end all), have similar overall ranking, are city universities...so I'm finding it really hard to decide between the two.

Due to being in hospital I haven't been able to visit either university. I've been to Liverpool and Cardiff cities before though, and they both seemed like really friendly places!

Significant differences that I've found are:
- Liverpool's course would give me exemptions for 12 out of 15 accounting exams, while Cardiff's would give me 8
- Cardiff has a better student union and possibly better music life (?)
- Liverpool seems to have a reputation for being a bit rough (?)
- Cardiff possibly has better support for students with disabilities and mental health conditions

Could anyone give me their opinions on either university? Which would you choose?
Original post by katiee987
I've received offers for Accounting (and Finance) at both Liverpool and Cardiff...they both want the same grades (AAB) and are both in the Russell Group (not that being in the RG is the be all and end all), have similar overall ranking, are city universities...so I'm finding it really hard to decide between the two.

Due to being in hospital I haven't been able to visit either university. I've been to Liverpool and Cardiff cities before though, and they both seemed like really friendly places!

- Liverpool's course would give me exemptions for 12 out of 15 accounting exams, while Cardiff's would give me 8
- Cardiff possibly has better support for students with disabilities and mental health conditions

Could anyone give me their opinions on either university? Which would you choose?

Haven't been to either uni but been to both cities, personally I d go for Liverpool as I think the living costs are slightly better and it's a good city :smile:
Deffo would pick Liverpool - awesome city and so much more going on. Also think it's slightly better regarded than Cardiff but not by much

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd pick Liverpool. Fantastic city. As PP said, always so much going on, so lively and friendly and wonderful.

As far as being rough goes, every city has rough parts. I grew up in Liverpool but also lived in Canterbury for 4 years, the 'picturesque Cathedral city', but it could be as rough as a dog's backside.
Reply 4
Original post by mizzsnazzter
Deffo would pick Liverpool - awesome city and so much more going on. Also think it's slightly better regarded than Cardiff but not by much

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you!
Reply 5
Original post by FelicityMarie
I'd pick Liverpool. Fantastic city. As PP said, always so much going on, so lively and friendly and wonderful.

As far as being rough goes, every city has rough parts. I grew up in Liverpool but also lived in Canterbury for 4 years, the 'picturesque Cathedral city', but it could be as rough as a dog's backside.

Thank you - very true, there's rough parts everywhere aha :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by claireestelle
Haven't been to either uni but been to both cities, personally I d go for Liverpool as I think the living costs are slightly better and it's a good city :smile:

Thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 7

From what you said I'd suggest Cardiff, because of the better student union, better music life, because of Liverpool's reputation for stealing and being "rough" and that you said that Cardiff has better support for students with disabilities and mental health conditions.

I'm personally going to Liverpool though :smile: I wanted to apply for Cardiff but didn't have the GCSE's high enough to be accepted for there. Liverpool looked really nice on the applicant day, despite the city's reputation for stealing and being rough tho :smile: it's a really nice and big campus too, and everyone was really friendly there :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Owain53
From what you said I'd suggest Cardiff, because of the better student union, better music life, because of Liverpool's reputation for stealing and being "rough" and that you said that Cardiff has better support for students with disabilities and mental health conditions.

I'm personally going to Liverpool though :smile: I wanted to apply for Cardiff but didn't have the GCSE's high enough to be accepted for there. Liverpool looked really nice on the applicant day, despite the city's reputation for stealing and being rough tho :smile: it's a really nice and big campus too, and everyone was really friendly there :smile:

Thanks for the reply! I kind of want to go to Liverpool just because of the course, I am just worried about the reputation.
But reputation isn't everything, I suppose.

It's good to know you thought it seemed friendly :smile:
Reply 9
Thanks for the reply! I kind of want to go to Liverpool just because of the course, I am just worried about the reputation.

Well, if you wanna go to Liverpool, then choose that one :smile: it's also my firm choice and I'm really looking forwards to going there :smile: I just prayyyyy I will pass my english gcse resit so that I can lol :biggrin:

It was really friendly there. Compared to the other unis I visited it was maybe the friendliest. It also had a big, huge campus (which was nice, it was spaced out really nice), plus the accommodation rooms were nice :smile: the city itself was nice too, surprisingly. :smile:

Don't worry about reputation. That's why I initially didnt put it down at 1st as one of my choices. But... well there's Oxford and Cambridge, then there's a couple of unis who try to look posh and try to replicate them but just don't... and let's face it. Why go to these wannabe snob unis when you could go to a proper uni which is friendly and gives you good education? :smile: it's a Russel Group uni anyway, and most people don't know rankings off top of their head so don't worry about reputation. It's in a fancy area of Liverpool too :smile: totally different from the stereotype image of the city, the buildings around the area looked expensive and nice :smile:

Don't be under any illusion! Cardiffs reputation isn't stellar - it's the same as Liverpool, if anything I would say there are more Liverpool grads in the city than Cardiff.. Just pick Liverpool if you prefer it! I think Liverpool is the best option personal, Cardiff is nothing special at all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by mizzsnazzter
Don't be under any illusion! Cardiffs reputation isn't stellar - it's the same as Liverpool, if anything I would say there are more Liverpool grads in the city than Cardiff.. Just pick Liverpool if you prefer it! I think Liverpool is the best option personal, Cardiff is nothing special at all

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? Ah okay. I think I'm just swayed by the opinions of family friends and my friends, who just seem to have a negative opinion of Liverpool, maybe just because it's up North, which is ridiculous! I am leaning towards Liverpool.
Reply 12
Hi @katiee987.Even I have got offers from Cardiff University and the University of Liverpool for MSc in Management (September 2021 intake). I see that the above thread was 4 years ago. I believe you must have been graduated from one of these unis by now. Could you please let me know which one did you choose and how was your experience?. Thanks in advance :smile:

Latest