(LSP)
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi, I am contemplating on whether I should apply for student finance or not.

Basically, I have applied for student finance for the tuition fee loan plus the minimum amount of the maintenance loan.

I will be living at home for the first year of university, so after I have applied and sent the declaration from, I realised that I would not be needing the maintenance loan.

I will be phoning student finance on Monday to sort this out, however, as my father has an ISA account enough to pay off one year of tuition fees, I was wondering if it would be best to use that money to pay off one year rather than applying for student finance.

This would mean that I do not need to apply for student finance and I can work to save up money to pay off for next year too.

However, I am not quite sure on how I can use that money as it is under my father's name and not under my name.

I was wondering if anybody could give me advice as I do not know whether I should use the ISA money to pay the tuition fees or to apply for student finance.

Also, I had a couple of questions regarding student finance and tuition fees which I could not find answers for:

Do you pay the tuition fees termly? (e.g. £3083 in the first term, £3083 in the second term...etc.)

Is the student finance loan for one year or is it for the duration of my course e.g. 4 years - if its the former, do I need to re-apply for student finance again after I have finished year 1?

What is the maximum amount of voluntary repayment I can make to student finance for one week and how frequently can I make a voluntary repayment?

Sorry if it has already been answered and thank you for any advice/replies.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by (LSP))
Hi, I am contemplating on whether I should apply for student finance or not.

Basically, I have applied for student finance for the tuition fee loan plus the minimum amount of the maintenance loan.

I will be living at home for the first year of university, so after I have applied and sent the declaration from, I realised that I would not be needing the maintenance loan.

I will be phoning student finance on Monday to sort this out, however, as my father has an ISA account enough to pay off one year of tuition fees, I was wondering if it would be best to use that money to pay off one year rather than applying for student finance.

This would mean that I do not need to apply for student finance and I can work to save up money to pay off for next year too.

However, I am not quite sure on how I can use that money as it is under my father's name and not under my name.

I was wondering if anybody could give me advice as I do not know whether I should use the ISA money to pay the tuition fees or to apply for student finance.

Also, I had a couple of questions regarding student finance and tuition fees which I could not find answers for:

Do you pay the tuition fees termly? (e.g. £3083 in the first term, £3083 in the second term...etc.)

Is the student finance loan for one year or is it for the duration of my course e.g. 4 years - if its the former, do I need to re-apply for student finance again after I have finished year 1?

What is the maximum amount of voluntary repayment I can make to student finance for one week and how frequently can I make a voluntary repayment?

Sorry if it has already been answered and thank you for any advice/replies.
Depends how much interest your father is earning and whether you ll be hitting a high salary when you graduate, many people will get their debt written off. Tuition is paid termly. Voluntary repayments can be as high as you want them to be. You reapply for student finance every year.
(LSP)
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
Depends how much interest your father is earning and whether you ll be hitting a high salary when you graduate, many people will get their debt written off. Tuition is paid termly. Voluntary repayments can be as high as you want them to be. You reapply for student finance every year.
I see, thank you for your reply. It's good to know that voluntary payments can be made as high. I am still deciding on whether to apply for student finance but thank you for the insight :cute:
fxlloutboyy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd just use student finance - the money you already have can help with living and in case of emergency.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.51%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.62%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.26%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (70)
21.41%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.4%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.81%

Watched Threads