The Student Room Group

Can anyone help me decide between Geography and Music GCSE?

I am choosing my GCSEs and have chosen History, German and Spanish, but I can't choose between Geography and Music. Does anyone know whats involved in music, how hard it is and if they is a lot of theory involved? And would doing two languages, History and Geography be too much work?
Original post by Naomi0819
I am choosing my GCSEs and have chosen History, German and Spanish, but I can't choose between Geography and Music. Does anyone know whats involved in music, how hard it is and if they is a lot of theory involved? And would doing two languages, History and Geography be too much work?

Would recommend doing at least 1 creative subject, yes 2 languages and 2 humanities is doable but very hard work.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did geography ... it's quite easy to get an A*... my friends who did music all hated it :frown: x
I wouldn't take geography if you're already taking history!! Im in year 10 take two humanities (Geog and RS) and it is a lot of work and stuff you have to remember!! I really stress you shouldn't take two humanities unless you love them both and are prepared for a lot of hard work. I don't know a lot about music tbh....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also the new GCSE means no coursework for geography and many other subjects so again it's a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I am not taking music so I really can't give an accurate opinion on it, but I have heard it's really hard. I think you'd have to really love music to take it.

I take history and geography though and I will tell you it can be quite hard. The content itself is not hard to learn, but I found it difficult to learn specific details for case studies.

Overall, I think it depends how much you like music. I would go for geography otherwise. It's all your choice though :smile:
I don't know about the new music gcse but on the old one theres a lot of coursework- 2 compositions and 2 performances
And the exam isn't easy so its hard work but if you like music then it can be a break from your other subjects as it is different
Reply 7
I did geography, history and music at GCSE, along with Spanish (on the old spec). Geography and history together are quite hard because they're both so content heavy. Personally, I found geography quite boring in places but I know people who have really enjoyed it. Music is fun and not too difficult if you play a musical instrument and can read music. The people who couldn't read music and weren't at at least grade 4/5 on their instruments by year 10 found it very difficult. If you play an instrument and can read music, I would recommend music as it will take away another content heavy subject and is pretty enjoyable but if not, take geography as you will really struggle in music.
I do music GCSE now, if you do not play an instrument currently it will be hard (performances on an instrument count for 40% of the GCSE), but doing two humanities will not be easy either, it's a big workload - you can always change options if you are not comfortable with them after trying the course for a while... its really up to you :smile:
I did both and I found that geography was a lot to learn and I personally didn't enjoy it that much. Saying that, I think it was very useful
With music I would say that the practical is quite easy to get a high mark in which takes a lot of pressure off the exam, and you need to know surprisingly little theory for the exam, just a lot about specific pieces (although I'm not sure of that's the same on the new gcses)
I don't think I had particularly good teachers in either but I did well in them. I would say music is a good balance since you've already got a humanity and two languages is a lot of work.
Reply 10
Ah thank you so much. I heard that music was very hard too. I leaning more towards Geography.
I am going to pick music cuz my job that i want to do involves music. But ive not chosen yet and all im confused about is whet to choose out of history or geography? as a person who has already dont theirs could you possibly help me on whats easier? Thanks x

I took History, geography, music and spanish. Personally, I don’t find that taking both geography and history have been too much work however there is a lot of content learning- nothing too unbearable though. Music is a brilliant gcse if you feel comfortable with composing and performing- the set works are pretty easy. Geography can be a little dull in places but it is rather easy and a solid subject. you can’t go wrong- go with what you prefer!

Quick Reply

Latest