Jweston20
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm really struggling I have no idea as I wasn't in class the month we did Christmas carol and I've tried to teach myself but it's failing and my teacher is reluctant to teach me one on one, someone help please?
laurennnnxx
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
http://www.bbc.co.uk/education/topics/zcs8qty Most of thing stuff you need to learn is on here!!! Or watch Mr Bruff's Christmas Carol videos
Iqra16
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jweston20)
I'm really struggling I have no idea as I wasn't in class the month we did Christmas carol and I've tried to teach myself but it's failing and my teacher is reluctant to teach me one on one, someone help please?
I am doing chirstmas carol too- just try understand what the play is about and the characters then go on to know the themes presented eg: social responsibility. It will help if you remember key quotes. Good luck!
dumbandemo
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Dickens wrote the novel to give a "sledgehammer blow on Victorian society" (specifically the rich in Victorian society.) Dickens father had to go to "debter's prison" so he could pay off his debts over time. Most of the people reading the book when it first came out were rich.
Context: hypocrisy of the rich, the poor law, the industrial revolution, victorian christmas.
Themes: isolation, poverty and greed, responsibility and society, morality and redemption.
Also the form of the book is "the gothic" so make sure you try to link this into your essay where relevant (remember, the victorian times is when people were a lot more spiritual due to their religious beliefs, also a lot of other gothic novels were being published at this same time.)
Structural devices: lists, repetition, questions, dialogue, hyperbole
Language devices: semantic fields, metaphor, simile, adjectives
The whole novel is basically about Scrooge's moral journey and is meant to reflect the typical rich Victorian reader, so they can compare themselves to Scrooge but also realise that they CAN change and be more giving.
Lastly, just read the book- it won't take you long because it's only 53 pages I think- and make notes on it. Get a few flash cards and write down key quotes for the exam.
Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (138)
33.91%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.29%
No (110)
27.03%
I'm not sure (52)
12.78%

Watched Threads