PLEASE HELP- C2 Coordinate Geometry

Watch
emx_eco
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
10. The circle C, with centre A, passes through the point P with coordinates (–9, 8) and the point Q with coordinates (15, –10).

Given that PQ is a diameter of the circle C,
(a) find the coordinates of A, (2)
(b) find an equation for C. (3)

A point R also lies on the circle C.
Given that the length of the chord PR is 20 units,
(c) find the length of the shortest distance from A to the chord PR.
Give your answer as a surd in its simplest form (2)
(d) Find the size of the angle ARQ, giving your answer to the nearest 0.1 of a degree. (2)

Confused on part c and d
emx_eco
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
10. The circle C, with centre A, passes through the point P with coordinates (–9, 8) and the point Q with coordinates (15, –10).

Give your answer as a surd in its simplest form. (2)
(d) Find the size of the angle ARQ, giving your answer to the nearest 0.1 of a degree. (2)

I'm confused on part c and d
emx_eco
Rep:
The mark scheme said you have to find the length of RQ but I don't understand why
emx_eco
Rep:

username3006294
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by emx_eco)

Have you tried drawing it?
emx_eco
Rep:
(Original post by em_lj)
Have you tried drawing it?
yep, I still cant seem to see how the mark scheme has done it. This is the mark scheme: http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...%20Edexcel.pdf
Question 10c
ghostwalker
Badges: 17
Report 4 years ago

Diagram if you haven't already.

c) Shortest distance fo A to PR, bisects PR. If we call the point X, then Pythagoras on PXA will let you find AX.

d) Don't see any need to work out RQ. You could use cosine rule on triangle PRA to find angle PRA, and then subtract from 90 to get angle ARQ (angle in a semicircle is 90)
username3006294
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
yep, I still cant seem to see how the mark scheme has done it. This is the mark scheme: http://pmt.physicsandmathstutor.com/...%20Edexcel.pdf
Question 10c
Ahhh I see I don't do edexcel so I've never seen that type of question before, sorry I couldn't be of any help
Andrew Dawson
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
I have only a solution to part C. Basically, draw a triangle and use circle theorems.

Name:  IMG_2051.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  500.7 KB
emx_eco
Rep:
(Original post by Andrew Dawson)
I have only a solution to part C. Basically, draw a triangle and use circle theorems.

Name:  IMG_2051.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  500.7 KB
I partially understand it now- but if you don't know the coordinates of R then how do you know how to sketch the diagram. Because I ended up sketching my diagram differently which really confused me
Andrew Dawson
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
As it states PR is a chord. So you can conclude that R must lie on the circumference on the circle. Therefore, it must have a distance equal to the radius from the center A. You are told it has a distance of 20 units from P and P is on the circumference aswell. Meaning, that also has a distance equal to the radius. The shortest distance from A the chord PR is when it is perpendicular therefore bisecting the chord in half. Giving you a right angled triangle. From there is just Pythagoras.
emx_eco
Rep:
As it states PR is a chord. So you can conclude that R must lie on the circumference on the circle. Therefore, it must have a distance equal to the radius from the center A. You are told it has a distance of 20 units from P and P is on the circumference aswell. Meaning, that also has a distance equal to the radius. The shortest distance from A the chord PR is when it is perpendicular therefore bisecting the chord in half. Giving you a right angled triangle. From there is just Pythagoras.
But if P has an x-coordinate of -9 and A has an x-coordinate of 3, then how can your diagram be sketched like that because the point P should be behind the point A?
mathshelppp
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/...s/c2-by-topic/

for edexcel c2
whats the difference between set 1 and set 2?
is set 1 just broken down into each topic??

anyone????
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

Give your answer as a surd in its simplest form (2)

Confused on part c and d
(c) The shortest distance from the centre to any chord in a circle, is the perpendicular distance to it. So for your chord PR, the midpoint can be called M of it, and so AM would be the shortest distance to the chord. Since we have perpendicularity, all you need to do to find AM is take \sqrt{r^2-(\frac{1}{2}PQ)^2} (r is the radius, and obviously PM=RM since M is the midpoint of PR)

(d) ARQ is an isosceles triangle with lengths AR=AQ=r and also you have a right-angled triangle PRQ with PR=20 and PQ=diameter.

An quick sketch would help you understand that we have a situation whereby PQ\sin(\angle PQR = \angle ARQ)=PR so all you need is the angle which you can easily find by rearrangement.
mathshelppp
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 4 years ago

for edexcel c2

anyone????

RDKGames
RDKGames
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mathshelppp)

for edexcel c2

anyone????

RDKGames
I don't know, I never did Edexcel nor did I use this site.
emx_eco
Rep:
(Original post by mathshelppp)

for edexcel c2

anyone????
I'm not entirely sure either, All the questions from both sets seem relevant anyway so I would use either of them
Andrew Dawson
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
But if P has an x-coordinate of -9 and A has an x-coordinate of 3, then how can your diagram be sketched like that because the point P should be behind the point A?
Yeah, sorry I was quickly sketching it. The method works, but I just drew it badly. Sorry.
RDKGames
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
emx_eco

In case you want a visual representation of the triangles you consider in (d)

emx_eco
Rep:
Yeah, sorry I was quickly sketching it. The method works, but I just drew it badly. Sorry.
Ahaha, its fine. Thanks for your help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

When did you submit your Ucas application if you applied to go to university this year?

September 2021 (38)
6.51%
October 2021 (261)
44.69%
November 2021 (70)
11.99%
December 2021 (74)
12.67%
January 2021 (75)
12.84%
I still haven't submitted it yet! (47)
8.05%