The Student Room Group

tricky maths question? help please!

" In a factory, Machine A is three times as quick as Machine B in assembling identical circuit boards. Machine A is allocated two and a half times as many of these circuit boards to assemble as Machine B. Machine B took 4 hours to assemble all of its allocation. How long did it take for Machine A to complete its allocation? Give your answer in hours and minutes. "

The mark scheme was quite confusing on how it got to the answer and I was wondering if anyone knew how to explain it??

Thank you in advance xo
Original post by CresentHan
" In a factory, Machine A is three times as quick as Machine B in assembling identical circuit boards. Machine A is allocated two and a half times as many of these circuit boards to assemble as Machine B. Machine B took 4 hours to assemble all of its allocation. How long did it take for Machine A to complete its allocation? Give your answer in hours and minutes. "

The mark scheme was quite confusing on how it got to the answer and I was wondering if anyone knew how to explain it??

Thank you in advance xo

This is what I got...

TIME A = TIME B / 3 (because machine A is 3 times as fast)

If TIME B = 240 mins (4 hours to complete allocation) , TIME A = 240 mins / 3 = 80 mins (to complete the same amount)

But, machine A had 2.5 times more to complete so...

2.5 * 80 mins = 200 mins = 3 hours and 20 mins.

Hope this helps
Reply 2
Original post by haseeb_jarral786
This is what I got...

TIME A = TIME B / 3 (because machine A is 3 times as fast)

If TIME B = 240 mins (4 hours to complete allocation) , TIME A = 240 mins / 3 = 80 mins (to complete the same amount)

But, machine A had 2.5 times more to complete so...

2.5 * 80 mins = 200 mins = 3 hours and 20 mins.

Hope this helps

Wow, lovely! Thank you so much!!!
Wow, lovely! Thank you so much!!!

no worries :smile: I'm getting my revision done this way too...

This is a problem in direct and inverse proportion. Let the time taken, speed of a machine, and number allocated be t,s,nt,s,n.

Then we have that tnt \propto n and t1st \propto \dfrac{1}{s}. This gives:

tnst=knst \propto \dfrac{n}{s} \Rightarrow t = k\dfrac{n}{s}. So for machine A, B, we have:

tA=knAsA,tB=knBsBtAtB=nAsBnBsAt_A=k\dfrac{n_A}{s_A}, t_B=k\dfrac{n_B}{s_B} \Rightarrow \dfrac{t_A}{t_B} = \dfrac{n_A s_B}{n_B s_A}.

You know that sA=3sB,nA=52nB,tB=4s_A=3s_B, n_A = \dfrac{5}{2}n_B, t_B=4 so now it's just a matter of arithmetic.

Quick Reply

Latest