Purple_Skittle
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello 😊 I'm currently researching uni courses and one of the courses I'm interested in requires AH Chemistry to be achieved in S6. It's a subject area I'm really interested in but the course is competitive and I don't want to disadvantage myself in any way. I've not studied chemistry in the senior phase but at the moment my only option seems to be crashing AH Chemistry. And so I was wondering if anyone on here has been in a similar situation/Has anybody crashed AH Chemistry? Thanks ☺️
No_username_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Don't even think you can crash an AH, well in my school you can't and you would probably find it really difficult if you did

Posted from TSR Mobile
katerina392
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That doesn't sound like a good idea tbh. At my school to crash even higher chemistry they require you to have done 2 other sciences at higher level
ferm4t
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I know someone who crashed AH Chem, they done H chem over the summer. I think they got a B at AH so its definitely possible if you are willing to give up ur summer
Lilli22
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Crashing Advanced Higher isn't that great an idea, unless you're 100% up to the work. Advanced Higher subjects are usually just.... "advanced" Higher (how surprising), so it means you have to understand the key areas of Higher chemistry. I don't think you could simply take Advanced Higher by having a rough idea about what Higher was like - you need to know what you're doing, like past paper technique.

My Higher Biology teacher went to study at uni for biology only to find out that she knew literally nothing (because she had done Higher Human which is apparently completely different) so she had to literally go and get a Higher Biology textbook and learn from it, and then apply it to your course.

Perhaps you could do what she did. Although, this definitely isn't anything you can slack off on. You need to put hard work into it.

You really need to ask yourself; am I capable of doing it? Am I going to definitely put the work in? You also need to wonder that whether or not an entire subject qualification is worth taking the risk in failing.

What grade do you need for your AH results in chemistry?
Medic DUX
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Terrible idea, someone who can grab an A at higher chemistry can sit at a D in advanced, going with what i have seen... I wouldn't even bother. I assume its Medicine, Dentistry, Vet MED, Law your are going for ... in that case you will defos need A or B at advanced higher, nothing less. Sad to say without higher, its out the window.
Mystery.
Badges: 21
Report 2 years ago
Are you sure it doesn't say "first sitting" because then you could do it in the year after s6 too if you're okay with taking a year out otherwise, unless you can teach yourself Higher Chemistry in summer?which is doable) then it's going to be very hard.
E102
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No and no
E102
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Medic DUX)
Terrible idea, someone who can grab an A at higher chemistry can sit at a D in advanced, going with what i have seen... .
Aka me in august
SusanC
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I personally wouldn't crash an Advanced Higher but honestly if you're really up for it and excel in other subjects (as in predicted band 1s) go for it. Crashing an Advanced Higher is almost unheard of, it's like crashing a Higher in S5 though obviously a lot more difficult. I'm in S5 and I crashed Higher Chemistry which I found not too bad, but there is quite a big gap between Higher and Advanced Higher. My physics teacher has told me that someone in our school crashed Advanced Higher Physics and got an A band 1, so I guess anything is possible provided that you have the work ethic and motivation. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Suffolk
    Undergraduate Open Day - Ipswich Main Campus Undergraduate
    Mon, 9 Dec '19
  • University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19
  • University of Lincoln
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 11 Dec '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (112)
19.24%
Labour (296)
50.86%
Liberal Democrats (75)
12.89%
Green Party (30)
5.15%
Brexit Party (7)
1.2%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.52%
SNP (13)
2.23%
Plaid Cymru (3)
0.52%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
1.03%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (3)