The Student Room Group

I used to be an SJW. AMA.

Surprised?

I don't mean a fully fledged SJW, just that I had some rather ultra liberal views.

I even used to think BLM was a genuine group and that there was nothing wrong with feminism.

Scroll to see replies

Was u a duck?
Or an oily mushroom?

Did you have a full on SJW outfit(sword and armour)?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Dodgypirate
Surprised?

I don't mean a fully fledged SJW, just that I had some rather ultra liberal views.

I even used to think BLM was a genuine group and that there was nothing wrong with feminism.

So now you think there IS something wrong with feminism? If so, why?

What were your main "ultra liberal views" and why are you no longer a SJW?
Reply 3
Original post by 2281303
So now you think there IS something wrong with feminism? If so, why?

What were your main "ultra liberal views" and why are you no longer a SJW?

Yes, there clearly are many things wrong with Feminism now: mostly down to its militancy. Most feminists claim they champion both female and male rights, but I don't see much effort in the latter.

It took me roughly 3 months to change position, mainly after educating myself and listening to many in the sceptic community.

I'm very pleased with myself.
Reply 4
EDIT: i'm not a centrist anymore. that poop blows.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by roadregu
Are there any predominantly left views you still align with somewhat? I consider myself a centrist but I nitpick from both sides.

I'm definitely centrist. I do still have plenty of liberal views.
Yes, there clearly are many things wrong with Feminism now: mostly down to its militancy. Most feminists claim they champion both female and male rights, but I don't see much effort in the latter.

It took me roughly 3 months to change position, mainly after educating myself and listening to many in the sceptic community.

I'm very pleased with myself.

You mean there's something wrong with certain feminists? Your justification doesn't seem to address anything wrong with basic feminist ideology.
Surprised?

How long ago did your views change?
Reply 8
Original post by The_Mediocre_One
How long ago did your views change?

3 years ago.
Reply 9
How many genders did you believe in?
Original post by The_Mediocre_One
You mean there's something wrong with certain feminists? Your justification doesn't seem to address anything wrong with basic feminist ideology.

Perpetuating the already debunked gender pay gap, therefore lying to countless women and young girls.

Trying to make out that the hijab is a symbol of empowerment, and failing to tackle the plethora of issues women face in the Middle East. Having Sarsour, an extremist, on the forefront is an embarrassment.

Then, like I've said before, there isn't much recognition of male-specific problems.
Original post by Jirga
How many genders did you believe in?

Always been 2.
Surprised?

Why did you start calling yourself an SJW in the first place?
I'm pretty sure it was a word made to make fun of activists.
Reply 13
Why don't you think BLM is a genuine group?
What will you have for dinner this evening?
Original post by feministy
Why did you start calling yourself an SJW in the first place?
I'm pretty sure it was a word made to make fun of activists.

Well, let's say I was into Social Justice. I was surrounded by people who were of that mentality. I wasn't mature enough at that time.
I used to support the right.

But I am not longer an *******.
Perpetuating the already debunked gender pay gap, therefore lying to countless women and young girls.

Trying to make out that the hijab is a symbol of empowerment, and failing to tackle the plethora of issues women face in the Middle East. Having Sarsour, an extremist, on the forefront is an embarrassment.

Then, like I've said before, there isn't much recognition of male-specific problems.

You're absolutely going down the wrong route, trying to debate complex arguments but suggesting a black and white answer is not the way forward here.

There is an issue with gender pay gap, Sure there are some mitigating factors which need to be accounted for but even still there's a significant enough difference for it to be discussed rather than spreading alternative facts.

In regards to Hijab and women's empowerment it's a hugely complex issue which is not easily resolved by making sweeping statements. Almost all issues have multiple factors which require deep analysis.

If you were truly well researched on these issues you would find it difficult to make any kind of sweeping statement.
Well, let's say I was into Social Justice. I was surrounded by people who were of that mentality. I wasn't mature enough at that time.

I find the 'W' bit really cringe.
To what extent, how, and why, do you agree/disagree with the following statement:

"We shouldn't celebrate diversity in the form of race, religion, gender, sexuality, and disability"?

Quick Reply

Latest