Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys...first post...arriving at that place in my life where I realise that within the next 4 months I will know whether I get into Oxford. I wanna apply to Jesus to read Maths and I was wondering what my chances are (mainly to boost my confidence a bit) so I will just tell you a little bit about myself:

1) 4 As at As (Maths, Further Maths, Politics and Physics).
    2) 295/300 and 289/300 in M and FM respectively.
    3) 7A*s and 4As at GCSE (A* Maths).
    4) Been on the school maths team (Hans Woyda competition) respresenting lower school in both 2nd and 3rd form (years 8 & 9), upper school in 4th and 5th form (years 10 & 11), L6th (year 12) and will be captain of the team next year
    5) Gold every year in the UKMT maths challenge and through to next round on a few occasions.
    6) Read quite a few books on maths/quantum mechanics including Foundations of Mathematics; Stewart, Tall and I subscribe to New Scientist and am very interested in the ones to do with physics (mainly quantum and fluids)
    7) I will be doing a talk later this year on fluid mechanics at my school
    8) I am a senior prefect at my school
    9) My team in the ProShare (government fantasy shares initiative)competition reached the semi-finals (last 18 teams out of almost 5000 entering)
    10) I love maths

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RA87)
    10) I love maths
    Geek.

Yeah, I'd say your chances were pretty good. Just make sure you have a look over the past entrance exam papers to get a feel for them.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    n/a
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by RA87)
    Hi guys...first post...arriving at that place in my life where I realise that within the next 4 months I will know whether I get into Oxford. I wanna apply to Jesus to read Maths and I was wondering what my chances are (mainly to boost my confidence a bit) so I will just tell you a little bit about myself:

4) Been on the school maths team (Hans Woyda competition) respresenting lower school in both 2nd and 3rd form (years 8 & 9), upper school in 4th and 5th form (years 10 & 11), L6th (year 12) and will be captain of the team next year
    5) Gold every year in the UKMT maths challenge and through to next round on a few occasions.
    6) Read quite a few books on maths/quantum mechanics including Foundations of Mathematics; Stewart, Tall and I subscribe to New Scientist and am very interested in the ones to do with physics (mainly quantum and fluids)
    9) My team in the ProShare (government fantasy shares initiative)competition reached the semi-finals (last 18 teams out of almost 5000 entering)
    10) I love maths

Thanks
    Sounds a good CV, with luck you ought to be interviewed - then it depends on the Maths test and your Interviews. I think Maths candidates are interviewed in 2 colleges, your first choice and then another one which is allocated when you arrive for interview. If you haven't already have a look at the Oxford Maths website or go to the admissions page and see if they have samples of any Maths tests. If not I'd suggest doing some STEP papers to see how you get on. I'm sure people will be on here with more Maths experience, but I'd also suggest you look at www.studential.com for advice on Personal Statements and also http://oa.waveflex.com/ for comments from interviewees about your subject /college.

ReputationRep:
    n/a

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RA87)
    Yeah I'm hoping to get interview, apparently they interview about 95% of candidates so fingers crossed! And I had a mock interview at school already which they said went really well so I guess it's all about pu8lling it off in the 4+ interviews I will (hopefully) get there!
    It sounds like you are a strong applicant; of course, that's no guarantee of an offer, but you should go into interviews thinking you've every chance of getting in. I'm sure you're aware of the obvious things to do like reading around the subject and doing past Oxford test papers. I wouldn't worry yourself too much about STEP papers at this stage: firstly, they're bloody difficult even for people with 2 years of FM behind them and you're likely to lack some of the technical tools they require; secondly, the format of the questions is completely different to what you'd do in interview. Consequently, you're likely to struggle and it could just knock your confidence.

nb Which Hans Woyda team were you on? I was captain of the St. Paul's team (runners up this year...by one point. Bloody Dulwich College :mad: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RA87)

10) I love maths

Thanks
    He he...

If you don't get an offer, I'll eat my hat!

Jay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RA87)

10) I love maths

Thanks
    He he...

If you don't get an offer, I'll eat my hat!

Jay

ReputationRep:
    Well, that's certainly a very strong academic record. Tutors are always looking for someone who is willing to learn, not someone who thinks they know it all already, so if you show you're a willing student, then I'm sure you'll get a place. If you really love maths though, the Cambridge course is certainly more hardcore and suited for geeks.

ReputationRep:
    "Been on the school maths team"

When I read that I thought it said been on the school meals team. I was like WTF. hehe.

Don't forget that it's all very well getting amazing UMS scores but that only tells them how good you are at being held by the hand through exam questions on material that you've been spoon fed through A level.

They look for potential and enthusiasm. Make sure you can pick up new ideas quickly. Like read a few chapters of a pretty heavy maths book and then empty your understanding onto paper to see how much you picked up. Make sure you a spot on with the basics like integration and graph sketching and stuff like that. It wouldn't hurt to read up on the integration techniques in P5. Also learn proof by induction. Brush up on combinatorics and number theory. Make sure you know about modular congruences as they're so useful. And last but not least practice maths all the time.

You'll do fine

BTW. I'm also applying for maths incase you didn't guess. What other unis you applying to?

ReputationRep:
    n/a.

ReputationRep:
    Looks to me like you stand a really good chance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RA87)

10) I love maths

Thanks

Christ, I didn't read Foundations until this summer - if you read and understood it you're seriously ahead. Other than that, you have pretty much the same as my profile, or just above (and I'm heading off in October). If you really want to get a place a fantastic maths/physics book is Roger Penrose's the Road to Reality Anyway, you sound like a very strong candidate. Just convince them of your enthusiasm, do reasonably well in the test and you're fine. *g*

ReputationRep:
    It's a good book, really got me into the more pure side of maths, becoming a bit bored of the A-level sylabbus. Would you recommend reading and mentioning you have read a book by a tutor at the college you want to apply to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RA87)
    It's a good book, really got me into the more pure side of maths, becoming a bit bored of the A-level sylabbus. Would you recommend reading and mentioning you have read a book by a tutor at the college you want to apply to?
    Only mention it if you REALLY understand it. Otherwise, just trust you'll get in on your brain. I'm sure you're good enough that that will be enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RA87)

10) I love maths

Thanks
    It seems you are really good at Maths.
    In Oxford Uni,Maths is really not very difficult to get an offer. About 41% I guess. All of my friends who applied Oxford to study Maths got a place.

ReputationRep:
    It seems your chances are pretty good. When I applied the only thing I could could show were my A level results... wasnt on any maths team etc. Plus, I only had 7 A's at gcse. Had a maths interview at Jesus, and the tutors were really nice. However, I did feel that the college lacked a place where you can walk about on a nice sunny morning.

(Original post by RA87)
    Would you recommend reading and mentioning you have read a book by a tutor at the college you want to apply to?
    Are you talking about David Acheson? I dont think he is at Jesus anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you have a chance. You probably have about an average chance. 99% of applicants will have a similar list of achievements to yours.

ReputationRep:
    n/a

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RA87)
    Ye him. WHAT?!?!?! He is one of the main reasons I am applying there!
    I think he has shifted to Keble.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.