Zainabh8501
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
In the poem Cozy Apologia by Rita Dove, what does this mean?
''we're content but fall short of divine,''?
Samosa and Vada
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Don't bother revising Cozy apologia. It's not coming.
I guarantee.
Zainabh8501
Rep:
?
(Original post by Samosa and Vada)
Don't bother revising Cozy apologia. It's not coming.
I guarantee.
How do you know? Are you doing WJEC?
mattjuan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
learn the poems that can be linked to more than one theme Manhunt war and love etc ,if your good at analysing poetry when the poem comes up
tomoz analyse it and compare it to one of the poems you know.----London -----William blake-----links to loads.
omegabuzz
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Zainabh8501)
In the poem Cozy Apologia by Rita Dove, what does this mean?
''we're content but fall short of divine,''?
This could be Dove saying that she and her husband are perfectly fine with their relationship, they're 'content' with it and wouldn't wish it to be any other way. However here most poets, and possibly people, would feel that their relationship is angelic or blesses because they feel that their love for eachother is special, and better than everyone elses. Whereas Dove feels not only is her relationship quite standard but may even be looked down upon by other people, it's lesser than 'divine'.

This could be a subtle reference to Satan falling from heaven, as she and him have fallen 'short of divine'. So this is also suggesting that her relationship is seen as a negative one not only for the fact that they don't want their relationship to be as adventurous, or exciting as other people's, but also because people may disagree with her (a black woman) marrying her husband (a white man) because of their racism.

Hope this is helpful enough.
Zainabh8501
Rep:
?
(Original post by omegabuzz)
This could be Dove saying that she and her husband are perfectly fine with their relationship, they're 'content' with it and wouldn't wish it to be any other way. However here most poets, and possibly people, would feel that their relationship is angelic or blesses because they feel that their love for eachother is special, and better than everyone elses. Whereas Dove feels not only is her relationship quite standard but may even be looked down upon by other people, it's lesser than 'divine'.

This could be a subtle reference to Satan falling from heaven, as she and him have fallen 'short of divine'. So this is also suggesting that her relationship is seen as a negative one not only for the fact that they don't want their relationship to be as adventurous, or exciting as other people's, but also because people may disagree with her (a black woman) marrying her husband (a white man) because of their racism.

Hope this is helpful enough.
I undertand now. Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. All the best!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (113)
27.43%
England (143)
34.71%
Belgium (32)
7.77%
Germany (41)
9.95%
Spain (10)
2.43%