The Student Room Group

Jekyll and Hyde duality quotes and analysis

Hi, does anyone have any Jekyll and Hyde duality quotes they wouldn't mind sharing? Also with analysis, but don't worry if not, thanks so much.

Scroll to see replies

"my devil has been caged, and came out roaring"
suggests the theme of duality as it represents jekyll's idea that all humanity has two sides. it also highlights the theme of good vs evil. furthermore, the noun 'devil' compares hyde to satan and religion which links to the statement earlier in the novella "distinguished for religion" which represents how both jekyll and hyde are somehow religious which doesn't make them seem that different after all.

"man is not truly one, but truly two"
i think this one is pretty clear so it doesn't really need an analysis lol

"original evil"
jekyll describes how turning into hyde is unavoidable. this presents that the two characters are strongly connected in jekyll's mind which highlights the duality.

"ordinary secret sinner"
jekyll describes his dark side which links to hyde.

i know this isn't a lot and probably very common but i hope it helped a little anyway.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by caitlinhayes
suggests the theme of duality as it represents jekyll's idea that all humanity has two sides. it also highlights the theme of good vs evil. furthermore, the noun 'devil' compares hyde to satan and religion which links to the statement earlier in the novella "distinguished for religion" which represents how both jekyll and hyde are somehow religious which doesn't make them seem that different after all.

"original evil"
jekyll describes how turning into hyde is unavoidable. this presents that the two characters are strongly connected in jekyll's mind which highlights the duality.

"ordinary secret sinner"

i know this isn't a lot and probably very common but i hope it helped a little anyway.

Thanks so so much! My exam is tomorrow and I couldn't think of any quotes for it :biggrin: you may have just saved me :wink::smile:
Reply 3
Original post by honeybee1
Thanks so so much! My exam is tomorrow and I couldn't think of any quotes for it :biggrin: you may have just saved me :wink::smile:

Hey! Just wondering, how did you do in the exam? I'm doing this year's GCSEs !!!
Reply 4
Hi, does anyone have any Jekyll and Hyde duality quotes they wouldn't mind sharing? Also with analysis, but don't worry if not, thanks so much.

Hey i did my GCSEs last year and sadly i got a grade 5 cuz i didnt have enough confidence and stuff as i put down and told i was predicted a grade 2!

i did jekyll and hyde to but aswell as quotes some other things would be
how in hydes house it is in soho which a crap area but the interieor is expensive showing the diffrence.

ALSO MY BIGGEST TIP for english language is!!!

make an amazing story like the best you can before hand with everything you need about everyhting like adjectives and all those poetic devices!
then adapt that amazing story to your task in the exam

so lets say i make a story about finding a piece of tresure
if the exam was about a time i was sad i could use that story and change it to fidning a metal box but its empty and hence i was sad?

let me know if you understood that.

lit is easier then language so dont stress it. just stay calm
Reply 5
Original post by Sammx0x
Hey! Just wondering, how did you do in the exam? I'm doing this year's GCSEs !!!

English lit was hard, but I'm not exactly an essay person :wink: We had a very tough paper as r&j was the 1st essay & was on male aggressive behaviour, which was so hard and really knocked my confidence for j&h. My advice would be don't focus too much on learning quotes, focus more on analysing them and make plans for essays, you don't necessarily have to write the essays, just make really detailed plans or mind maps for any potential questions. Hope I helped and if you have any more questions just ask & I'll try and answer them :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Sammx0x

If you're doing this year, would hugely recommend this website: https://app.senecalearning.com/classroom/course/d84e51a0-3ca2-11e8-aa2a-6f57cfa13a6c/section/d06547c0-3d95-11e8-b7ed-f5479d84760c The analysis really helps me and it does v good ways of making you rememvber
Reply 7
Thanks so much guys - i have 2 days left :/
same mines tomorrow

Check out this PowerPoint which includes key themes, quotations and analysis. This is perfect for quick revision before exams.

https://www.tes.com/teaching-resource/jekyll-and-hyde-themes-and-analysis-11905867

yhh heres a booklet
got mocks coming up and have GCSE in like 6-7 months and need a lot of help on English language and literature so if any one wants to tutor me I would be honoured :smile:
Nice, good job
Hi, I just created an account on this site and the community is super helpful and you're no expception. I'm taking my GCSEs this year and hoping for at least a 6 (but will be happy with a 5) and this post has really assisted me in the quotes that represent duality. Thank you very much.
Hey, thanks so much for all the advice and support - I JUST got a 9 IN LITERATURE LIKE WHATTTTTTRR!!!
i have GCSE's in a couple of months and its gonna be much harder. Can someone give me some amazing jekyll and hyde quotes for my mocks and for my actual GCSE's
Original post by TheTaskMaster
i have GCSE's in a couple of months and its gonna be much harder. Can someone give me some amazing jekyll and hyde quotes for my mocks and for my actual GCSE's

I can definitely tell you that your exams are not necessarily harder - you have had an extra year to prepare for these new GCSE’s whereas we, in 2018, didn’t. The best advice is just to take it as it is, and don’t give yourself the mindset that the exams are going to be much harder. Make sure that you use the correct revision resources and don’t just write notes (like my sister does who is now in year 11).

As for the Jekyll and Hyde quotes, I have a load on my quizlet with critical analysis on them. Here is the link! :smile: this is what saved my English literature grade and got me a 9. https://quizlet.com/288538091/dr-jekyll-and-mr-hyde-flash-cards/?i=102h17&x=1jqY

Best of luck!!
Original post by caitlinhayes

"original evil"

"ordinary secret sinner"

YOOOOO coming back at this two years later because i just got a notification about it ahah, just wanted to say that i got a grade 9 and this is basically all the quotes for jekyll and hyde i knew lmao, maybe it was just luck idk

This helped me so much just before I did my mock exam than you!
Original post by Sammx0x
I can definitely tell you that your exams are not necessarily harder - you have had an extra year to prepare for these new GCSE’s whereas we, in 2018, didn’t. The best advice is just to take it as it is, and don’t give yourself the mindset that the exams are going to be much harder. Make sure that you use the correct revision resources and don’t just write notes (like my sister does who is now in year 11).

As for the Jekyll and Hyde quotes, I have a load on my quizlet with critical analysis on them. Here is the link! :smile: this is what saved my English literature grade and got me a 9. https://quizlet.com/288538091/dr-jekyll-and-mr-hyde-flash-cards/?i=102h17&x=1jqY

Best of luck!!

OMG this quizlet is a life saver
Glad to know i've helped! How did your exams go so far?
Original post by baldeepieboy
OMG this quizlet is a life saver

Quick Reply

Latest