rachelzane2
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I am looking to study Law at university, and aspire to work at a Magic Circle firm.
I know this is extremely competitive and I am one of the many people etc.

But I wanted to know which universities I should consider applying to?

Also could anyone give me advice in terms of how best to prepare myself in gaining a place at a Magic Circle firm after graduation? I am currently studying for my A-levels but I want to start preparing now. For example extra-curricular activities that would be useful or any particular experience.

Thank you
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 4 years ago
Oxbridge
rachelzane2
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
Really doesn't matter what the extra curriculars are - it's more about showing commitment, keeping busy, team work, liking responsibility, going out of your comfort zone.

Oxford or Cambridge are the most represented universities in MC firms. But the worst thing you could do is choose a university purely on the jobs prospects it may give. Although MC firms recruit more Oxbridge applicants, they also reject more. Pick a highly reputable university that works for you, because getting good grades and building up your CV will do far more than the institution on your degree certificate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I see. So extra-curriculars are important but there is nothing specific they like or favour.

I think when I start university this would be easier with so many societies and volunteering opportunities available. But I wanted to start this now as it will give me a head-start and also provide me with things to mention in my PS and interviews.

Is it true that you just need to know the right people in order to get into an MC firm :/
rachelzane2
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
It's about your personal impact/development in extra curriculars, not actually what they are.

Definitely so things at college/sixth form too.

Not in a true nepotism sense. But it's easy to network with these firms and get to know people in them. That will help with applications, as undoubtedly you will learn a lot about the realities of working for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for taking the time to reply. So it is more about what I have learnt or gained from doing these activities like teamworking skills or public speaking skills etc.

I'm worried as I have yet to gain any experience in a law firm.

Do you work for an MC firm?
Confusedboutlife
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by rachelzane2)
I am looking to study Law at university, and aspire to work at a Magic Circle firm.

Also could anyone give me advice in terms of how best to prepare myself in gaining a place at a Magic Circle firm after graduation? I am currently studying for my A-levels but I want to start preparing now. For example extra-curricular activities that would be useful or any particular experience.

Thank you
Oxford and Cambridge - any degree with GDL or straight law
LSE - same id say
Bristol - Straight law
Durham - Any degree with GDL.

Those are the top 4 Unis. I've seen quite a lot from Durham and Oxbridge getninto top firms
rachelzane2
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
Extra curriculars are ultimately about pushing yourself and developing the skills needed to be lawyer. Outside of analytical skills you are unlikely to get these from your studies alone.

As I said earlier, think about what will give you the following: keeping yourself busy, commitment to something, going outside of your comfort zone, time management, team working, drive to succeed, building resilience.

And I used too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks.

Hopefully one day I'll be a lawyer like you.

+rep
rachelzane2
Rep:
?
(Original post by J-SP)
I wasn't a lawyer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
My bad!
What do you work as?
sonneteering
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Typically:

Oxbridge, LSE, KCL and UCL
And throw in, to an extent, the likes of Bristol, Warwick and Durham, etc *shrugs*
Insecable
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You may want to read this. Read it fully though, including the big disclaimers at the start.

http://www.chambersstudent.com/media...university.pdf
Titania_Fleuret_
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by rachelzane2)

Thank you
Hey I'm just a fellow A level student but I got all of my offers so hopefully my list of ECAs are useful to you I did MUN, Debating society, Law society and led an academic conference w/ schools from Oxford on women in literature. I also did silver D of E. (so volunteering, sports and music all go in there)

You don't particularly need work experience: I only did one (shadowed a judge for a day). But going to law summer schools (I highly recommend Debate Chamber) and law faculty open days/ conferences of universities are super useful.

Rather than spending loads of time on ECAs maybe you could solidify your interest by searching through cases and reading judgements and law commissions thoroughly. Through doing so you can learn about contemporary societal problems and reflect upon how modern legislation have improved/ or even worsened these situations! (e.g. 'famous' cases like Loving v Virginia and its impacts on the definition and right to marriage in the USA etc)

Would be hard, but super rewarding when it comes to inspiration for your PS and interview prep.

Good luck! Provided my exams go well and I manage to meet my offer I'd be happy to look over your application (PS) if you'd like me to, when it comes to it.
rachelzane2
Rep:
?
(Original post by Titania_Fleuret_)
Hey I'm just a fellow A level student but I got all of my offers so hopefully my list of ECAs are useful to you I did MUN, Debating society, Law society and led an academic conference w/ schools from Oxford on women in literature. I also did silver D of E. (so volunteering, sports and music all go in there)

You don't particularly need work experience: I only did one (shadowed a judge for a day). But going to law summer schools (I highly recommend Debate Chamber) and law faculty open days/ conferences of universities are super useful.

Rather than spending loads of time on ECAs maybe you could solidify your interest by searching through cases and reading judgements and law commissions thoroughly. Through doing so you can learn about contemporary societal problems and reflect upon how modern legislation have improved/ or even worsened these situations! (e.g. 'famous' cases like Loving v Virginia and its impacts on the definition and right to marriage in the USA etc)

Would be hard, but super rewarding when it comes to inspiration for your PS and interview prep.

Good luck! Provided my exams go well and I manage to meet my offer I'd be happy to look over your application (PS) if you'd like me to, when it comes to it.
Wow - thank you so much for your reply and your offer to help!

You did so much! Thanks for all the ideas

I will definitely take you up on your offer Good luck.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.83%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.4%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.72%
Lack of purpose or motivation (94)
12.75%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.29%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (41)
5.56%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (79)
10.72%
Financial worries (50)
6.78%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.34%
Exposure to negative news/social media (45)
6.11%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.26%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (70)
9.5%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed