filearns
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi i am starting the IB in September and I am still unsure about whether I should take 4 HL's or not. I want to be a doctor so idk whether it would give me an edge into getting in to medicine.

My options are either:
HL - Bio, Chem, Maths, Psychology
SL - Eng Lit and Lang (i have to do both in one course) and French

or
HL- Bio, Chem, Maths
SL- Eng Lit and Lang, French, Psychology.

I was wondering what people who are doing the IB currently or have completed the IB would recommend https://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/...lies/smile.png
smallhedge
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by filearns)
Hi i am starting the IB in September and I am still unsure about whether I should take 4 HL's or not. I want to be a doctor so idk whether it would give me an edge into getting in to medicine.

My options are either:

or
HL- Bio, Chem, Maths

I was wondering what people who are doing the IB currently or have completed the IB would recommend https://static.thestudentroom.co.uk/...lies/smile.png
I personally have done Biology HL and most of my friends have done Math HL and the workload combined during the school year as well as during exams is pretty large. I really don't know for psychology or chemistry. I would say four HLs can be doable but only for an "easier" HL (ie: less workload). You would probably be better off and would get better grades if you just concentrate on three HLs and not four.
username941859
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would take maths at SL, you don't need it for medicine and it's really hard to score a 7 in HL Maths.
whatfuture
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i highly dont recommend doing 4 HLs unless you are 100% sure you can achieve good grades in all and handle the workload. I started off with 4 but then dropped back to 3, you think you can handle the work at first but when you start all the IAs, CAS, and EE it'll be extremely difficult, and I only have ever known 1 person to take 4 HLs and do well in all (but that person was a genius imo). It is better to focus on 3 HLs and doing well in all of them.
fluidink
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by filearns)

My options are either:

or
HL- Bio, Chem, Maths

ok so taking 4 hl's is totally not worth it. I practically have the same subject choice as you (HL Math Chem Bio, SL Psych English LaL Spanish Ab) and its hard. to be fair psych HL is not much of a jump from Psych SL but the IA work for Psych SL is much easier. Take 3 HL's and focus on getting a 7 in all 3 (math will destroy you (hopefully not))
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (113)
27.56%
England (143)
34.88%
Belgium (31)
7.56%
Germany (41)
10%
Spain (9)
2.2%