The Student Room Group

Official 2018 Drama School Audition Thread.

It's almost June, meaning drama school auditions will be opening in a few months. I'm starting my prep in a couple of weeks; finding monologues, reading up on the schools, trying to get as much experience as possible etc. Just wondering how the rest of you are doing.

This will be my second year applying (technically, it's my third but I don't count last year on the fact that I only auditioned for one school and I was depressed and... well, it was just a mess of an audition) and I'm raring to get myself off to London, Wales, and wherever else.

A bit of background, I'm 20 (21 at the start of the courses). I auditioned for the B.A.'s first when I was 17; RADA, Guildhall, LAMDA, Central a pretty standard range. Looking back on it, I was awful in all my auditions; melodramatic and stage-schooly but I got offered a place at a foundation course and graduated in 2016. Afterward, I made the decision to take a break as I haven't really stopped since I was 17-- I got a job, took up meditation, and began reading and writing as much as I can, I even traveled a little. And you know what? I'm so happy I did that. I feel like I'm not the naive, entitled, ignorant boy I was when I was 17 anymore. I'm matured and actually feel ready to go to uni/drama school this year. I'm excited I have to say. I don't feel trapped in a little box anymore, you know?

Anyways, I'm applying to:
RADA, LAMDA, Guildhall, RCS, Bristol, RWCMD, Central, and Drama Centre. Maybe MMU, East 15, Mountview, and Italia Conti as well. I'm also looking at some schools in New York, namely Julliard, Tisch, the Strasberg Institute, the William Esper Studio and the Actors Studio.

A lot, I know, but I really want to give myself a shot this year. I'm also in talks with an agency for representation and frequenting the NT Bookshop & Samuel French as much as I can. I'm a little scared I might be too old if I get in but hey-ho on we go.

Let the conversing begin.

tl;dr: 20, auditioning for the bolded schools, maybe some others. Had some depression issues, got over them, super exited to get learning some monologues.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi there,

Good to see there's allready a thread for auditions in 2018! I'm a 23 years old language student. After getting my bachelor next year i want to follow my dream and passion by auditioning for drama schools in the UK. English is not my first language and i will be 24 by the time i audition. I know those things won't make it easier, but i still have to try (and i'm looking forward to do so!).

Apart from that, i don't have any professional experience. I Always took part in school plays, community theatre and at the moment university theatre & choir.

At the moment i'm still looking for which schools i would like to apply. :-)
Hiya! I'm Alice, I'm 16 and I want a career in acting. I have gotten into Birmingham Ormiston Academy for Acting for sixth form instead of A levels. I'm an academic student but acting is what I really want to do. My parents want me to do A levels and not go to BOA but seeing as everyone in this thread also wants to go to drama school for a career in acting (I'm guessing) I would love some advice on what education to proceed with prior to then!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aliceorlik
Hiya! I'm Alice, I'm 16 and I want a career in acting. I have gotten into Birmingham Ormiston Academy for Acting for sixth form instead of A levels. I'm an academic student but acting is what I really want to do. My parents want me to do A levels and not go to BOA but seeing as everyone in this thread also wants to go to drama school for a career in acting (I'm guessing) I would love some advice on what education to proceed with prior to then!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would you also be studying A-levels at BOA, or just acting?
A few drama schools (like Central, RSC, RWCMD, and Drama Centre etc.) actually require you to have A-Levels -- so, if the Birmingham Ormiston Academy for Acting offer A Levels then I say go for it! The more experience, the better you'll be. But if it's just a non-certificate course aimed at people hoping to start working straight after graduation, I'd hold off if you want to go to drama school.Getting A Level's sure does make applying a hell of a lot easier, I'll say that.
Original post by ageshallnot
Would you also be studying A-levels at BOA, or just acting?

Btec acting and one a level in English literature
Original post by DramaStudent
A few drama schools (like Central, RSC, RWCMD, and Drama Centre etc.) actually require you to have A-Levels -- so, if the Birmingham Ormiston Academy for Acting offer A Levels then I say go for it! The more experience, the better you'll be. But if it's just a non-certificate course aimed at people hoping to start working straight after graduation, I'd hold off if you want to go to drama school.Getting A Level's sure does make applying a hell of a lot easier, I'll say that.

Thank you so much, this is really helpful
Btec acting and one a level in English literature

As per DramaStudent, if this is enough to get you into a good drama school then you can go down this route if you are sure. Just note that if you change your mind, or don't quite make the grade, then you have cut off a few options.
As per DramaStudent, if this is enough to get you into a good drama school then you can go down this route if you are sure. Just note that if you change your mind, or don't quite make the grade, then you have cut off a few options.
thank you this is really helpful. I think I will take a levels but do I have to take drama a levels in order to go to drama school?
thank you this is really helpful. I think I will take a levels but do I have to take drama a levels in order to go to drama school?

You don't have to do so, but any experience of acting is likely to help you get in to drama school. It often takes applicants two or more years to get accepted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You don't have to do so, but any experience of acting is likely to help you get in to drama school. It often takes applicants two or more years to get accepted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
thank you. Your advice has been so great x
Reply 11
Hello again :-)

It's no secret English drama schools are very expensive. Many of the schools in London ask around 9000 pounds a year for a drama course. Than there's the costs for getting a room, food etc. which will in total be around 600-1000 pounds a month i guess. How is someone ever able to get this much money and follow a course?

Of course many schools offer scholarships, but they don't cover everything. Or do parents pay most of it for their children in the UK? I want to audition next year and it's no problem to save up money for the auditions. But i'm afraid i will not be alble to pay 15000 pounds a year and i don't want to have a loan for everything. Any ideas?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Anne04
Hello again :-)

It's no secret English drama schools are very expensive. Many of the schools in London ask around 9000 pounds a year for a drama course. Than there's the costs for getting a room, food etc. which will in total be around 600-1000 pounds a month i guess. How is someone ever able to get this much money and follow a course?

Of course many schools offer scholarships, but they don't cover everything. Or do parents pay most of it for their children in the UK? I want to audition next year and it's no problem to save up money for the auditions. But i'm afraid i will not be alble to pay 15000 pounds a year and i don't want to have a loan for everything. Any ideas?

It's the same whether you study drama or any other subject, Most students manage it one way or another, usually with a large student debt.
Considering drama school, but likelihood is that I will get a degree in something else and then look at acting. Do you think that would make me too old?
Yeah, as ageshallnot said; it's totally manageable. I'd recommend saving as much as you can this year, then apply for grants and loans and everything you can. You'll get by if you manage your funds correctly. The biggest problem I can see for those who aren't living in London already is staying in London after graduation.
Reply 15
It's the same whether you study drama or any other subject, Most students manage it one way or another, usually with a large student debt.

That's right, the UK is expensive. Thanks for the answer though! :-)
Reply 16
Yeah, as ageshallnot said; it's totally manageable. I'd recommend saving as much as you can this year, then apply for grants and loans and everything you can. You'll get by if you manage your funds correctly. The biggest problem I can see for those who aren't living in London already is staying in London after graduation.

Thank you so much for your answer! So, it can be manageable, but you will end up with lots of debts anyways if i see it correctly. I'm fine with some debts, and i expected that of course. But i don't want them to get too high.

Anyways, i will check on all the oportunities for grants/loans and so on.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by beccabokka
Considering drama school, but likelihood is that I will get a degree in something else and then look at acting. Do you think that would make me too old?

Not at all, but it will be more expensive because of the extra years studying.

If I ever win millions on the lottery, I would put some money into helping acting graduates stay in London! :smile:
Reply 19
This year will be my second time auditioning for Drama Schools, I'm going to start looking into monologues shortly and a variety of plays! Are there any websites or playwrights/plays anyone would reccommend to possibly help to narrow down the search for monologues? I'm 18 going on 19, female? :smile:

Quick Reply