Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just to inform that full UMS marks is not actually full marks, they are just a relative method of marking by comparison, full UMS marks is fantastic, but it is not necessarily full marks in the exam.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juxtapiped)
    Just to inform that full UMS marks is not actually full marks, they are just a relative method of marking by comparison, full UMS marks is fantastic, but it is not necessarily full marks in the exam.
    So what if you did get full UMS marks?

How would you work out what marks you got in the exam?

Thanks

Jay

ReputationRep:
    You can't, I actually thought UMS marks corresponded with actual marks in the exams, but if you read the back of your results slip, and also talk to your teachers they will tell you that UMS is some sort of system that catagorizes your mark, I'm not sure how it works; don't be deceived though, full UMS is a fantastic achievement, its just not what it appears to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by THE PROPHETOR!)
    How would you work out what marks you got in the exam?
    This depends on the exam. Sometimes you do need full marks to get full UMS. Sometimes you need significantly lower...teachers seem to get raw marks as well as UMS, and I think you can always request to see your paper, so you can find out that way.

ReputationRep:
    "The macimum unform mark for each unit depends on the weighting of the unit in the scheme of assessment"

I assume this means that there is a bit of maths here and there, including a bit of rounding up to come to your UMS mark. The translation from mark to UMS mark is not direct.

ReputationRep:
    Big deal. I got 100 UMS in P6 hehehe, and I'm no natural...

ReputationRep:
    You can find out what your actual mark was by getting the script.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juxtapiped)

In English lit, full raw marks = full uniform marks ONLY. u lose 1 mark at all and u dont get full ums.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vinny2256)
    In English lit, full raw marks = full uniform marks ONLY. u lose 1 mark at all and u dont get full ums.
    Hi Vinny, I'd be interested to know if this is true - where did you hear this? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarBlueUK)
    You can find out what your actual mark was by getting the script.
    Teachers always get the raw result as well.

http://www.uk-learning.net/showpost....7&postcount=32
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    We were told that the top mark you could be expected to get was awarded 100 UMS marks.

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.