courtneywxxd
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I start my first placement on tuesday and a lot of my patients on my ward are there for palliative care, also with mental health conditions such as dementia. This is my first experience caring for people and my first placement, so I'm extremely nervous. Could anyone please give me some advice to help allow me to support and deliver care to people experiencing palliative care?
Hayyz91
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
Read up on dementia so you understand it. One thing to understand is that they are still people.
With end of life care, you can't cure illness, just make the passing easier. Take pride in helping someone at the end, it's a true kindness.
Also take care of you, it can be overwhelming so make sure you monitor your own mental health!

Oh and one thing that helped me care was: even if a patient can't move or speak, still speak with them. Explain what you are doing, talk about your day. That kind of thing.

If your placement washes/dressed them after death then speaking to them like you normally would helps me. You will be supported through all of this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
20.69%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.64%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.75%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
17.24%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (19)
21.84%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
21.84%

Watched Threads