The Student Room Group

why is everyone hating on islam?

Ive joined TSR quite recently tbh, probs a week, i use this to get tips and some revision help etc however as a young BRITISH MUSLIM all i see is threads going on and on about how much they hate Muslims and Islam. As a 16 yr old who has not committed any crime or been involved in any trouble, getting blamed for stuff like terrorism and isis etc is quite annoying. i would like to ask why do most people blame islam and billion of muslims for an act which is commited by less than a minority?.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by talhaawan
Ive joined TSR quite recently tbh, probs a week, i use this to get tips and some revision help etc however as a young BRITISH MUSLIM all i see is threads going on and on about how much they hate Muslims and Islam. As a 16 yr old who has not committed any crime or been involved in any trouble, getting blamed for stuff like terrorism and isis etc is quite annoying. i would like to ask why do most people blame islam and billion of muslims for an act which is commited by less than a minority?.

Generally speaking they blame the underpinning ideology rather than the people when they refer to ISIS and terrorism. It's easy for people like you to mislead this as you don't understand the nuance.
I am sorry you had to see these threads, some people are just careless about how their nasty comments make other people feel.

I apologise to you and other Muslims on this forum on their behalf :hugs:
Original post by Jay Caz
Generally speaking they blame the underpinning ideology rather than the people when they refer to ISIS and terrorism. It's easy for people like you to mislead this as you don't understand the nuance.

i get you but groups like the KKK claim to be Christians but noone refers them as christians. just like isis claim to be muslims (but theyre obvs not) but people still blame billions of muslim for isis 0 logic
Reply 4
It's mostly trolls, but there are legitimate concerns about Islam.

While Christianity has become tame since the Enlightenment, Islamic countries have not. It's only Muslims who live in countries in the west which have become moderate, but even then many are justifiably concerned about Muslim communities due to the amount of extremism and fundamentalism which evidently does exist. Whichever way you spin it, the majority of Muslims support Sharia and other traditions which the West has fought against over the last century or two. I suppose that's why some people don't like it.
Original post by Wellzi
It's mostly trolls, but there are legitimate concerns about Islam.

While Christianity has become tame since the Enlightenment, Islamic countries have not. It's only Muslims who live in countries in the west which have become moderate, but even then many are justifiably concerned about Muslim communities due to the amount of extremism and fundamentalism which evidently does exist. Whichever way you spin it, the majority of Muslims support Sharia and other traditions which the West has fought against over the last century or two. I suppose that's why some people don't like it.

I see where ur coming from but I guarantee u that most Muslims don't want sharia law if as a Muslim I can freely express my beliefs in peace and live in harmony with others to me that's all I need
Ive joined TSR quite recently tbh, probs a week, i use this to get tips and some revision help etc however as a young BRITISH MUSLIM all i see is threads going on and on about how much they hate Muslims and Islam. As a 16 yr old who has not committed any crime or been involved in any trouble, getting blamed for stuff like terrorism and isis etc is quite annoying.

You should not be blamed for the actions of others, but Islam certainly should be.

i would like to ask why do most people blame islam and billion of muslims for an act which is commited by less than a minority?.

Islam is blamed because a significant percentage of Muslims believe its vile passages - that's not the case with Christianity. The Quran is particularly nasty, as many do not reject its worst bits, as they know it literally is the word of your god. Almost all Christians reject the nasty bits in the bible.
Reply 7
I see where ur coming from but I guarantee u that most Muslims don't want sharia law if as a Muslim I can freely express my beliefs in peace and live in harmony with others to me that's all I need

Which is perfectly fine. But not all Muslims are the same, which many people sometimes get preoccupied with
Reply 8
i get you but groups like the KKK claim to be Christians but noone refers them as christians. just like isis claim to be muslims (but theyre obvs not) but people still blame billions of muslim for isis 0 logic

And the KKK are different to ISIS. The Klan are Christian, but they don't claim to nor do they follow Christian teachings in their racism, whereas IS literally consider themselves to be a Caliphate following Islamic law. I doubt the historical caliphates would probably have been similar to them.
Original post by RogerOxon
You should not be blamed for the actions of others, but Islam certainly should be.

Islam is blamed because a significant percentage of Muslims believe its vile passages - that's not the case with Christianity. The Quran is particularly nasty, as many do not reject its worst bits, as they know it literally is the word of your god. Almost all Christians reject the nasty bits in the bible.

loool u make me laugh, they have been around 140,000 maybe more, since 1970 if all the terrorist attacks were done by Muslims it would still only represent 0.00009 of Muslims.
Original post by Wellzi
And the KKK are different to ISIS. The Klan are Christian, but they don't claim to nor do they follow Christian teachings in their racism, whereas IS literally consider themselves to be a Caliphate following Islamic law. I doubt the historical caliphates would probably have been similar to them.

so they're Christians but they don't follow the Christian teachings so how does that make u Christian? and tell me where is killing an innocent person in Islam acceptable?
and tell me where is killing an innocent person in Islam acceptable?

Apostasy, as an example.
Original post by RogerOxon
Apostasy, as an example.

LOOOOL thats the first time iver seen that word, in islam killing one innocent person is like killing the whole mankind
Reply 13
I rarely see threads about about how they hate Muslims, such threads would get removed anyway.

However, people often think that there is hate when people question Islam and are critical about it. It's fine to be critical towards an ideology.
LOOOOL thats the first time iver seen that word, in islam killing one innocent person is like killing the whole mankind

Have you read your holy book? It's vile.

quran.com/4/89
They wish you would disbelieve as they disbelieved so you would be alike. So do not take from among them allies until they emigrate for the cause of Allah . But if they turn away, then seize them and kill them wherever you find them and take not from among them any ally or helper.
(edited 6 years ago)
There are plenty of people who criticise Islam because of it's contents. It is entirely justified it they can support their argument with reason and evidence.

There are some seriously questionable passages which should be rightly criticised by any sane person.
Original post by Meany Pie
There are plenty of people who criticise Islam because of it's contents. It is entirely justified it they can support their argument with reason and evidence.

There are some seriously questionable passages which should be rightly criticised by any sane person.

isnt that with any religon book, even the bible?
isnt that with any religon book, even the bible?

Indeed, but the bible is not heralded as the perfect word of God.

well with 109 verses of violence in the quran and next no chance of a reform. and to people that say ISIS aren't muslims they are, they're real muslims, they act on the quran with all the stoning gays and other non muslim people, and the fact that apostates are killed, also sharia law exists in predominantly muslim countries and the abuse of women. islam is a threat to the western world and should be banned.
Original post by Meany Pie
Indeed, but the bible is not heralded as the perfect word of God.

To a lot of firm Christians it actually is though. Again, it's recently it's authority in the west as the absolute holy word has become tame

Quick Reply