SamanyuTir
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
How did it go for everyone, I thought it was hard R&J was on male aggression whilst Dr J and Mr Hyde was about sympathy for Dr J

Share your thoughts
edenandreaa
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Honestly, I just rambled about how Lady Macbeth and Macbeth were corrupted by ambition and other characters i.e Banquo were not. I also talked a bit about Macduff's possible corruption as he chose his country over his family.

With ACC, my essay was very limited. I just talked about how they were sterotyped and did not accurately portray the struggles of the poor as poverty was romanticised through their characters.
That'sGreat
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Romeo and Juliet was easy I thought, Great Expectations was a bit of a surprise but I managed to figure it out
JWilliamsTS
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well, I didn't expect Macbeth to be on ambition! Trust AQA! Ugh the extract wasn't good, I couldn't pick hardly anything out from it.
For the rest of the play, I wrote that Ambition lead to the downfall of Macbeth, and that Duncan is killed as a result of ambition. I also said that ambition is overwhelming, causing Macbeth to change, become insecure, and kill Banquo. I wrote a load of rubbish too to gain marks from random quotes.

Jekyll and Hyde was weird too, there's never been a statement before! I said that I felt sympathy for Jekyll since he had to conceal his evil desires in a Victorian Society, leading to him creating Hyde. Yet, i did also say that I didn't feel sympathy because it was his fault that Hyde exists in the first place.
Lastly, I wrote that he's a coward and uses Jekyll as his 'city of refuge' after his terrible crimes committed by his alter ego. I wish I didn't panic in the exam, I forgot all about Super Ego etc...
Still, at least it's done.

How'd everyone else find it?
meganlit
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
english lit is the only thing i actually love, and i totally flopped that exam

i wrote about in romeo and juliet:
patriarchy, capulet, romeo turning violent because of love being his hubris, sampson and gregory being biblical names and how it's ironic because they're so aggressive (???!) and the play as an expose for corruption within catholicism. also how violence is the climax on freytags pyramid, and the cyclical structure of it beginning and ending with violence.

J&H:
sympathy for his repression, sympathy because he tried to control Hyde, however it was his choice to make the potion, and how a modern audience feels more sympathetic as science is widely accepted now but contemporary jekyll alone would be shocking for meddling with drugs and dismissing religion. also wrote a bit about the id and superego, and how the embedded narrative makes us sympathetic as we know nothing personal from his POV until the end where we are overwhelmed with emotive lang, etc. used one critical quote, and said how stevenson used it to address cultural anxieties of science vs religion.
UkuleleIzzy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
*Opens the paper and sees question on Ambition for Macbeth*
Me: YASSSSSSSSS
*Reads extract*
Me: what the even heck what what what

No but all in all, Macbeth went really good (except for the extract being terrible but whatever)! I just discussed how destructive the trait of ambiton is, and talked about Macbeth and Lady Macbeth and shoved in some context. I mean, it could have been a lot worse
On the other hand, Sign of the Four was a CAR CRASH. Literally ran out of time so bad, only wrote 2 paras, and didnt analyse particularly well...
Just focussing on smashing the Lit 2 exam on friday and hoping that will drag my grade up, especially as that one is 60%
I feel bad for everyone who did Romeo and Juilet and Jekyll and Hyde tho, didnt sound like you had such a good question there.
Good luck everyone and let's smash Friday's exam!!
Farooq Sayed
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well i had A Christmas Carol which was BS to write aboutso you guys can't complain. Macbeth wasn't that bad though in my opinion
mimi..m
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
For Romeo and Juliet, I wrote about the patriarchy, mockery, sarcasm, satire, Tybalt being aggressive and violent and 'civil blood' making 'civil hands unclean'. The extract was so irrelevant though!! After two years of analysing biblical and celestial imagery, the given extract was Samson and Gregory :mad:
GPestell
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm really confused, did the question ask how far do you agree Jekyll being presented to create sympathy because I only remember it saying how does Stevenson present Jekyll to create Sympathy but some of my classmates have said it was a how far do you agree question.

Does anyone know for sure?
Thanks
olivia123xx
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
what grade did you get?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (2)
9.52%
They might tell the bully (4)
19.05%
I don't think they'd understand (3)
14.29%
It might lead to more bullying (7)
33.33%
There's nothing they could do (5)
23.81%

Watched Threads