123sa
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi I am 18 and planning to start an undergraduate course with open university in October 2017 I have chosen to do level 1 spread out over 2 years and then level 2 in 1 year and then level 3 the following year so a total of 4 years study. I applied for my tuition loan but I was wondering am I entitled to any maintenance loan whatsoever as I don't live with my parents and need all the financial help I can receive. I'm really worried I'm not going to have enough money to live on. I currently work full time so I'm able to pay for my accomodation and anything else I need. But when I start my course in October I will have to cut my hours down at work in order to study for my degree. And this will not bring in enough money for me to live on. So I just want to know if there is a loan or anything really I can take out to help me pay my bills?? Because I've hear that part time study means I cannot take out a maintence loan... I hope this all made sense. Thanks you!
Hazel Fulton
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 123sa)
Hi I am 18 and planning to start an undergraduate course with open university in October 2017 I have chosen to do level 1 spread out over 2 years and then level 2 in 1 year and then level 3 the following year so a total of 4 years study. I applied for my tuition loan but I was wondering am I entitled to any maintenance loan whatsoever as I don't live with my parents and need all the financial help I can receive. I'm really worried I'm not going to have enough money to live on. I currently work full time so I'm able to pay for my accomodation and anything else I need. But when I start my course in October I will have to cut my hours down at work in order to study for my degree. And this will not bring in enough money for me to live on. So I just want to know if there is a loan or anything really I can take out to help me pay my bills?? Because I've hear that part time study means I cannot take out a maintence loan... I hope this all made sense. Thanks you!

Hi 123sa,

Any course studied at the Open University is considered as part time study by student finance. This means we can only pay a tuition fee loan and DSA (if applicable) regardless of your financial situation. It may be a good idea to visit Turn2us website at https://www.turn2us.org.uk/ to see if you may be entitled to help from another source.

Thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I’m worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (14)
40%
I’m worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (4)
11.43%
I’m worried it will impact my future career (2)
5.71%
I’m worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (7)
20%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (4)
11.43%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (4)
11.43%

Watched Threads