The Student Room Group

Will universities care about a bad AS grade in an unrelated subject to my uni course?

I'm in Year 12, doing Physics, Politics, Economics and Business. I am dropping Physics at the end of this year and doing an AS level in it. This means that next year I am doing three A levels in Politics, Economics and Business.

I have my first Physics exam tomorrow and it's not looking good. I've struggled with Physics all year, despite getting close to full UMS at GCSE. I think I'm going to get a D in it, which obviously does not look good to universities when applying. Will they care about the bad physics grade, even though I've dropped it and it is completely unrelated to my other subjects? I'm applying to do a politics degree.
Original post by ilsleyl
I'm in Year 12, doing Physics, Politics, Economics and Business. I am dropping Physics at the end of this year and doing an AS level in it. This means that next year I am doing three A levels in Politics, Economics and Business.

I have my first Physics exam tomorrow and it's not looking good. I've struggled with Physics all year, despite getting close to full UMS at GCSE. I think I'm going to get a D in it, which obviously does not look good to universities when applying. Will they care about the bad physics grade, even though I've dropped it and it is completely unrelated to my other subjects? I'm applying to do a politics degree.

I don't know too much about the new exam system but if you think you will get a D, why not just drop Physics? If you don't sit exams or submit coursework, and don't cash in your grade then it'll be as though you never took the subject
If the universities you're looking at want 3 A-levels, I don't think they'll care too much about what you get in a random AS, they will look more at your predicted A-level grades. Of course it will depend on the university, but I wouldn't worry too much.
Good luck in your exam!!
Reply 3
Original post by jsmith6131
I don't know too much about the new exam system but if you think you will get a D, why not just drop Physics? If you don't sit exams or submit coursework, and don't cash in your grade then it'll be as though you never took the subject

My school won't allow it. I go to a rather strict grammar, and everyone is required to take four subjects in Year 12, take an AS in one of those, then you can drop it and carry on the other three into Year 13.
Original post by ilsleyl

Dont worry about it I applied to university this year and gained all 5 offers.

My sixthform was the same and made us take 4, i took economics as my fourth subject and acheived a U but am predicted BBB in my A2.
Original post by ilsleyl
My school won't allow it. I go to a rather strict grammar, and everyone is required to take four subjects in Year 12, take an AS in one of those, then you can drop it and carry on the other three into Year 13.

I don't know if I should suggest this or how your school would take this, but if you just don't show up to the exam there isn't much they can do?
No. I got a U grade in a subject unrelated and still got offers from all my choices including good Russell group unis.
Original post by Max12121
No. I got a U grade in a subject unrelated and still got offers from all my choices including good Russell group unis.

What degree did/are you studying for in University?

Quick Reply