The Student Room Group

AQA English Lit

Wondering how everyone found the exam? Opening that exam paper to see ambition for Macbeth and Jekyll for Jekyll and Hyde felt too good to be true tbh...
It would have been alright if I read the question properly.. for Macbeth I thought it meant just the character Macbeth, not the play.. FML
Reply 2
Original post by Callum2165
It would have been alright if I read the question properly.. for Macbeth I thought it meant just the character Macbeth, not the play.. FML

Wasn't it on the theme of ambition?
And Lady Macbeth was the one saying those lines not Macbeth

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Callum2165

I'm sure it'll be okay, as long as you've had a good argument and made some good points! Don't worry about it, it's over now :smile:
I did the Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde Question. Now- for the Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde Question it asked about the character of Dr Jekyll, and twice I accidentally quoted 2 quotes, which are in the book but are relevant to the character, but describes another charterer, and i thought they were describing Dr Jekyll. Do the paragraphs that i wrote that for not count??

BTW the quotes were "dapper, red-faced gentleman" and "flushing suddenly purple", which both happen to Dr Jekyll, but are used to describe Dr Lanyon.
How many pages did everyone write?

I feel kinda terrible because I had a lot of ideas, but I only managed to do 3 very extended points for each question and overall wrote 3 pages ._.
Reply 6
Original post by anacarolinaa

I feel kinda terrible because I had a lot of ideas, but I only managed to do 3 very extended points for each question and overall wrote 3 pages ._.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by monster_ej
I did the Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde Question. Now- for the Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde Question it asked about the character of Dr Jekyll, and twice I accidentally quoted 2 quotes, which are in the book but are relevant to the character, but describes another charterer, and i thought they were describing Dr Jekyll. Do the paragraphs that i wrote that for not count??

BTW the quotes were "dapper, red-faced gentleman" and "flushing suddenly purple", which both happen to Dr Jekyll, but are used to describe Dr Lanyon.

I'd say its quite unlikely that the examiner is even going to notice considering the number of papers they have to mark, but I'm sure as long as you've made other points ith relevant quotes It'll be fine!
Reply 8
Original post by anacarolinaa

I think I got up to 9 pages, however it's about quality not quantity. Some of the highest marks come from extremly concise answers and it;s certainly about the depth of what you are writing rather than how much you are writing. I'm sure you'll do well.
Original post by mdnvmpr
I'd say its quite unlikely that the examiner is even going to notice considering the number of papers they have to mark, but I'm sure as long as you've made other points ith relevant quotes It'll be fine!

Do you know if they even check quotes because it is quite hard to find if i quote is in a book
Reply 10
Original post by monster_ej
Do you know if they even check quotes because it is quite hard to find if i quote is in a book

I'm sure they have quite a good knowledge of the text, although I can't say for sure whether they check exact quotes or not. Ive heard from most teachers that even if you don't know exact quotes, you can reference the text, and I'm sure they're likely to be far more lenient as it is a closed book exam.
Original post by mdnvmpr
I think I got up to 9 pages, however it's about quality not quantity. Some of the highest marks come from extremly concise answers and it;s certainly about the depth of what you are writing rather than how much you are writing. I'm sure you'll do well.

I hope so too, thank you :smile:

I've always been a slow writer and I think exams which require analysis of language (like English, Drama etc) should have more time to them, as I struggle quite badly with the time limit :/

I did include tons of context, zooming in on words and connotations, and structure from the rest of the book/play, so perhaps I've done fine, I'm just relying on the next exam and I'll try my best to write more

Quick Reply

Latest