Tilly_19
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi!

Not sure if theres a thread for this exam (most do aqa) so I thought i'd make one

Just wondering if anyone has any predictions for the discursive/research based essays? Also how is everyone revising? I'm just trying to improve essays I've already done and then learn phrases/key quotes.

I would lovee womens rights to come up on the discursive but not sure if it's been done before.

btw we're doing der besuch der alten dame
tictactao
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Tilly_19)
Hi!

Not sure if theres a thread for this exam (most do aqa) so I thought i'd make one

Just wondering if anyone has any predictions for the discursive/research based essays? Also how is everyone revising? I'm just trying to improve essays I've already done and then learn phrases/key quotes.

I would lovee womens rights to come up on the discursive but not sure if it's been done before.

btw we're doing der besuch der alten dame
Hallo!

I'm also doing der Besuch ^^ great to find a fellow german A level student! I really need to start working on stuff for the A2 paper.. it's been a while since i've had a look at literature.
Tilly_19
Rep:
?
(Original post by tictactao)
Hallo!

I'm also doing der Besuch ^^ great to find a fellow german A level student! I really need to start working on stuff for the A2 paper.. it's been a while since i've had a look at literature.
Yay! ikr there's so many threads for the sciences but hardly any languages ones :/ how are you going to revise literature?
tictactao
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yay! ikr there's so many threads for the sciences but hardly any languages ones :/ how are you going to revise literature?
Well with Der Besuch, I've just got lots of the most important quotes and divided them up into the main themes (Rache, Gerechtigkeit, Macht des Geldes etc etc.). Then our teacher has given us a list of all the questions that have come up in the past and broken them down into categories, as well as thinking up other possible ones aka by looking over what's come up in French and Spanish A level papers.

I've done a lot of plans and practice essays, so maybe I'll tidy those up too? How about you?
Tilly_19
Rep:
?
Unfortunately we haven't done many essays, so I've got a lot of stuff I don't feel too prepared for I'm writing some more essays for things we think might come up and going to learn some quotes and key phrases. What do you think might come up? We think setting and secondary characters are a possibility
tictactao
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes we've discussed secondary characters coming up as well (which means der Lehrer is probably the best to talk about?). However, last year's paper was a character analysis one so doubtful that they'd do two character ones in a row?

Another possibility is to what extent is your text still relevant to the present day. That's what the German teachers thought at this study day I went to. Especially since this is the last year of this spec, they might want to go out with a bang.

Tbh what I would recommend doing is just getting lots of 'stock phrases' or universal phrases that can go in pretty much any essay. Eg stuff like the use of Verfremdungseffekt creates a critical distance, preventing the reader from relating to the situation. Stuff like that.
Tilly_19
Rep:
?
Yeah I've done an essay on the teacher and the relevance of the play but I thought that had come up before? Suppose its always possible to set similar ones twice - i think they did in Spanish once.

As for discursive do you have any predictions? I'm thinking (hoping) maybe womens rights, the environment or even privatisation of healthcare (pretty topical but perhaps hard to write about in German)
tictactao
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well they did something on the cultural background before which is kind of similar. Who knows really xD

Tbh I'm not so stressed about discursive since there's a choice of four. They're never really that specific but I am hoping for at least one economicsy one because they usually have one in each paper. Just because I also do economics A level so i know the points already xD There could be an environment one, they haven't had many of those.
cordeliaheath_
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
omg finally an edexcel one !
Im doing Das Leben der Anderen if anyone else is !!
Tilly_19
Rep:
?
Hey Im probably being stupid but I'm confusing myself with some grammar.

In the 2011 translation it says "...she travelled to the east of the country with her family" and I translated it as "... fuhr sie mit ihrer Familie nach dem Osten des Landes". However nach dem Osten is unacceptable and you can have either in den Osten or zum Osten.

I'm sure we did how to say to somewhere in gcse but could anyone please explain how you know what to use? (in + acc, zum, nach etc.)

Thanks!
Kaia Harris
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Is anyone doing Ich fuehl mich so fifty-fifty? worst book in the history of the world. And my teacher also said its possible something about relevance today might come up and for discursive possible Brexit or the EU?
GreenPatches
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ugh I did that book too - I feel your pain... My teacher said that the literature essay could be a scene/event or a relationship/comparison of characters essay because they are the two they did at the beginning of the course and haven't done them since! As for the discursive topics my teacher said it's unlikely the EU will come up because it came up in 2015.. She thinks it might be the death penalty or something to do with a burka ban, but I'm not too sure ^^
Tilly_19
Rep:
?
Has anyone got any notes for the first/last scene in der Besuch? Trying to cram but don't have v good notes :/
Tilly_19
Rep:
?
Also what does everyone think of an essay regarding the title of the work? Do you think that would even work for all of the different books/films?
laurasmith1998
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
yeah what is up with that??!!! I remember doing that before and it really annoyed me. zum Osten would make sense I have problems with prepositions as well ...perhaps you use nach with gehen and zu with fahren? so fahren zu would be travel to and obviously zum is just zu dem i feel you grammar is confusing :0 Tilly_19
laurasmith1998
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
what is everyone doing topic wise for research based essay???
laurasmith1998
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah I've done an essay on the teacher and the relevance of the play but I thought that had come up before? Suppose its always possible to set similar ones twice - i think they did in Spanish once.

As for discursive do you have any predictions? I'm thinking (hoping) maybe womens rights, the environment or even privatisation of healthcare (pretty topical but perhaps hard to write about in German)
discursive wise something on terrorism, environment or economy would be nice ... anyone see the questions last year? pretty horrific
Verish
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey Im probably being stupid but I'm confusing myself with some grammar.

In the 2011 translation it says "...she travelled to the east of the country with her family" and I translated it as "... fuhr sie mit ihrer Familie nach dem Osten des Landes". However nach dem Osten is unacceptable and you can have either in den Osten orzum Osten.

I'm sure we did how to say to somewhere in gcse but could anyone please explain how you know what to use? (in + acc, zum, nach etc.)

Thanks!
Nach is for when you're going to a different country/town/city. You use zu for a place in a town, like an airport, train station or a part of a country (like the east). Zu always takes dative and in depends on the situation, but it would be accusative in this case coz theres movement.
ImagineCats
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by laurasmith1998)
discursive wise something on terrorism, environment or economy would be nice ... anyone see the questions last year? pretty horrific
The 1 Jahr Militaer Pflicht was pretty nice. Did that as a mock and got 35 so woheyy

I reckon technique will come up in the RBE or historial/cultural background, and something on biodiversity or environment in the discursive. My env. vocab is fabelsaft!!

Anyone doing German at uni? Hopefully German and French beginners if all goes well...
mderr
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by cordeliaheath_)
omg finally an edexcel one !
Im doing Das Leben der Anderen if anyone else is !!
hey did you all just do german from scratch like at gcse then a level or did any of yous speak t before? Also how hard is it and has anybody took another language with it? also don't forget to post after the exam letting us know how it was, i have french next week and im really scared :/ i have no clue what sort of discursive essays could pop up, and let me know what the literature question is about, it best not be the same as last years :/ thanks and good luck
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (19)
6.6%
They might tell the bully (29)
10.07%
I don't think they'd understand (44)
15.28%
It might lead to more bullying (106)
36.81%
There's nothing they could do (90)
31.25%

Watched Threads