The Student Room Group

WJEC English Lit 2017

How did everyone find the exam?
Personally I studied Much Ado About Nothing, so the question on Benedick was fantastic. Sonnet 43 was also quite a good poem I think. I am surprised at how fair the questions were!
Hope everyone feels they have done ok, anyone got any ideas what might happen with the second paper on Friday in terms of questions?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ocean7559
How did everyone find the exam?
Personally I studied Much Ado About Nothing, so the question on Benedick was fantastic. Sonnet 43 was also quite a good poem I think. I am surprised at how fair the questions were!
Hope everyone feels they have done ok, anyone got any ideas what might happen with the second paper on Friday in terms of questions?

I think I fluked it

No revision apart from half an hour before, and Juliet is the essay question, OMG thank God for that.
Then Sonnet 43 we did in class along with Valentine, so I used those two for the 25 marker.

Can't wait for the second Literature exam, which I'm guessing right now will be sh*t. I've been told to remember about 5 quotes for all characters across An Inspector Calls and Jekyll and Hyde. CANNOT WAIT.

Hope you did well anyways
Reply 2
Original post by bliminheck
I think I fluked it

No revision apart from half an hour before, and Juliet is the essay question, OMG thank God for that.
Then Sonnet 43 we did in class along with Valentine, so I used those two for the 25 marker.

Can't wait for the second Literature exam, which I'm guessing right now will be sh*t. I've been told to remember about 5 quotes for all characters across An Inspector Calls and Jekyll and Hyde. CANNOT WAIT.

Hope you did well anyways

Wow, at least you got a question you liked! I've also been told to remember 5 quotes for each character.
Thank you and hope it all goes well for you too!
HAHAHA sonnet 43. I had learnt 15 poems in detail and the one I hadn't revised came up. Just my luck.
Original post by danielwinstanley
HAHAHA sonnet 43. I had learnt 15 poems in detail and the one I hadn't revised came up. Just my luck.

To be fair, if I didn't know Sonnet 43, I could make better points easier than some of the longer poems like To Autumn and Death of a Naturalist

In an ideal world, something like Dulce et Decorum est would come up and it would be plain sailing from there on out.

How did you find the Shakespeare section?
To be fair, if I didn't know Sonnet 43, I could make better points easier than some of the longer poems like To Autumn and Death of a Naturalist

In an ideal world, something like Dulce et Decorum est would come up and it would be plain sailing from there on out.

The Macbeth questions were a dream, poetry likewise :biggrin: For Macbeth, it was exploring an audience's response to an extract about the Thanes and for the essay question, it was the relationship between Macbeth and Lady Macbeth.
Reply 6

I think it was quite an unexpected poem actually! I hope it went well for you, good luck for Friday!
Reply 7
Othello question was a dream so was the poem! Good day at the office 😁
Reply 8
Original post by sxphix
Othello question was a dream so was the poem! Good day at the office 😁

great!!
I swear i was like the only one who compared sonnet 43 to she walks in beauty
everyone compared it to valentine

Macbeth was the dream section - we'd done the extract and the essay for a mock.
Macbeth was the dream section - we'd done the extract and the essay for a mock.

Exactly? I cannot fathom how anyone could dispute the difficulty of Section A
Reply 12
Original post by Taran001
I swear i was like the only one who compared sonnet 43 to she walks in beauty
everyone compared it to valentine

I compared to She Walks In Beauty too!!! Most of my year did Valentine, a few also did Cozy Apologia and A Wife in London
I compared to She Walks In Beauty too!!! Most of my year did Valentine, a few also did Cozy Apologia and A Wife in London

I felt that she walks in beauty had more subject terminology and linked better
My friends said that it was a better choice as well
I'm hoping for over 50 out of 80
I forgot that structural comment for she walks in beauty and now i remember it
SMH
Reply 14
I felt that she walks in beauty had more subject terminology and linked better
My friends said that it was a better choice as well
I'm hoping for over 50 out of 80
I forgot that structural comment for she walks in beauty and now i remember it
SMH

Same - I felt that linking it to a Romantic poem gave me more context points too!

Anyone got any ideas on if An Inspector Calls and A Christmas Carol will be theme or character based?
Same - I felt that linking it to a Romantic poem gave me more context points too!

Anyone got any ideas on if An Inspector Calls and A Christmas Carol will be theme or character based?

I do AIC and ACC
Swear these similarities
I do AIC and ACC
Swear these similarities

I reckon it'll be supernatural and mr birling (I hope)

Yeah basically something that anyone can write about but hasn't come up in the specimen
Reply 18

That would be amazing - I hope ACC is poverty though
what was the question for othello? x

Quick Reply