Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Quick q on behalf of a friend. She wants to do physio at uni (top tier liek Nottingham, Southampton etc) but only has 3AS levels because she found maths too difficult and dropped it. She has ABB at AS level and requirements to these institutions are about BBB at A2. She should be predicted BBB or ABB for A2. She has work experience. Will the lack of one AS affect her chances? Also, it may or may not be the case that on her PS it will say that 'all students had the opportunity to study 4AS levels in Sept', so they may possibly know what she did. Also, we go to a top grammar school, so it's quite obvious she would have meant to have done more than 3. Any help much appreciated.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    Quick q on behalf of a friend. She wants to do physio at uni (top tier liek Nottingham, Southampton etc) but only has 3AS levels because she found maths too difficult and dropped it. She has ABB at AS level and requirements to these institutions are about BBB at A2. She should be predicted BBB or ABB for A2. She has work experience. Will the lack of one AS affect her chances? Also, it may or may not be the case that on her PS it will say that 'all students had the opportunity to study 4AS levels in Sept', so they may possibly know what she did. Also, we go to a top grammar school, so it's quite obvious she would have meant to have done more than 3. Any help much appreciated.
    Won't she have done General Studies... so that could be the 4th?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geogger)
    Won't she have done General Studies... so that could be the 4th?
    Nope, no GS. Out school doesn't do it

I can't see that the lack of an AS will drastically affect her chances. Alot of my friends have only taken 3 AS levels and school have reassured them that it will not afferct thier chances of university places.

ReputationRep:
    You can't do physics at a top university without Maths. You mentioned nottingham, my offer from there was ABB, with A in either maths or physics, and a B in the other one that wasn't used for the A. So realistically, you need at least a B in maths at A level to do physics at a top uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janon)
    You can't do physics at a top university without Maths. You mentioned nottingham, my offer from there was ABB, with A in either maths or physics, and a B in the other one that wasn't used for the A. So realistically, you need at least a B in maths at A level to do physics at a top uni.
    Physio... as in physiotherapy, not physics!!

ReputationRep:
    Ah, sorry, misread it. Although I suspect you may have figured that out for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by janon)
    Ah, sorry, misread it. Although I suspect you may have figured that out for yourself.
    Yeah, not to worry. Thanks for trying to help anyway.

ReputationRep:
    ive been looking at a few unis, and quite a few require a 4th as level :eek: and warwick requires a b in your 4th as-level, weird.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    ive been looking at a few unis, and quite a few require a 4th as level :eek: and warwick requires a b in your 4th as-level, weird.
    For which subject?

ReputationRep:
    For which subject?
    Econ i think, all the business ones too

ReputationRep:
    just a note- physio in reality requires higher grades. my friend go rejected from nottingham with 4 As at AS and loads of work experience.

and sometimes for physio it's better looking at less 'top-tier' unis as so many places that do it are 'newer', eg. leeds met not leeds, sheffield hallam not sheffield etc. but when looking for jobs you'll be selected by people who know where's good for physio, it's not like a general dgeree so uni status matters a lot less.

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou p lou)
    just a note- physio in reality requires higher grades. my friend go rejected from nottingham with 4 As at AS and loads of work experience.

and sometimes for physio it's better looking at less 'top-tier' unis as so many places that do it are 'newer', eg. leeds met not leeds, sheffield hallam not sheffield etc. but when looking for jobs you'll be selected by people who know where's good for physio, it's not like a general dgeree so uni status matters a lot less.

lou xxx
    I'll pass this on, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Ask your 'friend' to pick up a 4th AS in her second year while she carries on with the 3 AS Levels she has just completed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotus_lee)
    Ask your 'friend' to pick up a 4th AS in her second year while she carries on with the 3 AS Levels she has just completed.
    Lol, I don't knwo why you're putting friend in quotes. I do 5AS levels, and I can't think of anything worse than doing physio at uni! :rolleyes: But thanks for your advice anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    Physio is more about convincing the admissions tutor that you know what the job entails and that you would make a wonderful physiotherapist. 3 A levels shouldn't be a major problem at all (in fact most uni's for physio (including the top teir ones) average less than 3 A levels per student because they take in a lot of students with only 2 A levels and 3 AS levels or mature students with plenty of relevent experience).

I'd say your friend would be best sticking with the 3 A levels and getting the best grades she possibly can in those subjects while at the same time doing a lot of research into what life as a physio is like and trying to get some relevent work experience or a shadowing placement.
    Thanks PQ, that was really helpful. It's just that the teachers have told her that in her reference it will say 'all students are given the chance to do 4AS levels', so it will be obvious that she dropped one. She's got some ace work experience though, so hopefully it'll be ok!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    Yeah, Warwick was the only university I got an offer from that asked for more than 3 A-levels. They wanted a B at AS in a separate subject. 'tis why I went down from 5 AS's to 3 A2's.

Anyway, I don't think the lack of a fourth AS should matter that much if the work experience and personal statement is good. Good luck to her.

ReputationRep:
    i have just got my a2 results (AAB) and have secured my place of a physio course in wales college of medicine (cardiff) wich is currently ranked at no.1 for physio.....i did 4 as.....as did many of my mates and one who also applied for ophysio with same grades didnt get in....i think its pot luck at the end of the day as i saw no comparison between mine and his personal statement!just make sure she really shows that she understands the full aspects of the job and shows she is willin to be commited...make shure she has work exp and can rember her time doing it so she can talk about it if she gets itnerviwed...cos physio at the end of the day is a very competative course...if she really has her heart on doing it then she shud apply cos u never no!!!!!!!!but she should be prepared also not to get offers...i didnt think id get one....but i got 3!some one i no also got 3 but she missed out on her offer so shes gutted and no is going to take a yr out and do something like anatomy and ohysiotlogy and then do a conversion course at the end to do pphysio...so there are other alternatives......if u have ne more questions...feel free to ask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barbiegirl)
    i have just got my a2 results (AAB) and have secured my place of a physio course in wales college of medicine (cardiff) wich is currently ranked at no.1 for physio.....i did 4 as.....as did many of my mates and one who also applied for ophysio with same grades didnt get in....i think its pot luck at the end of the day as i saw no comparison between mine and his personal statement!just make sure she really shows that she understands the full aspects of the job and shows she is willin to be commited...make shure she has work exp and can rember her time doing it so she can talk about it if she gets itnerviwed...cos physio at the end of the day is a very competative course...if she really has her heart on doing it then she shud apply cos u never no!!!!!!!!but she should be prepared also not to get offers...i didnt think id get one....but i got 3!some one i no also got 3 but she missed out on her offer so shes gutted and no is going to take a yr out and do something like anatomy and ohysiotlogy and then do a conversion course at the end to do pphysio...so there are other alternatives......if u have ne more questions...feel free to ask!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks - that's great! She did one work experience placement, and after it, they offered her a job, so by the time she applies, she'll have been working there part time for 3 months, so i think she's ok on that front. Did you have interviews at all of them? And what was your offer?

ReputationRep:
    wow ...now that is a major plus point....quite a good advantage there!!!!!!!!!!!!!admisssion tutors in my op wud be mad not to consider that...and i reckon that wud compensate for the 4th AS
    my offers were from
    UWE - 340 ucas points (inc B as biol)
    plymouth - 300 ucas points (inc B in biol)
    UWCM cARDIFF - 310 Ucas points (inc B in biol and B in another sub)

so as i put cardiff as my insuirance it worked out i needed BBD becasue my 4th as i dropped added to the value....so that i suppose it the advantage of an as level...but as it turns out i wud of got in without that as level or not cos with my 3 a2 grades alone that game to 340 ucas points....my as just upped it a bit to 390.....so i wud of got in without that as if they had still made me the offer!

i also applied to southampton and got rejected
    and birm and manchester but i withdrew my app from them as i didnt wanna go there any way!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.