The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Lit 2017

Well, I didn't expect Macbeth to be on ambition! Trust AQA! Ugh the extract wasn't good, I couldn't pick hardly anything out from it.
For the rest of the play, I wrote that Ambition lead to the downfall of Macbeth, and that Duncan is killed as a result of ambition. I also said that ambition is overwhelming, causing Macbeth to change, become insecure, and kill Banquo. I wrote a load of rubbish too to gain marks from random quotes.

Jekyll and Hyde was weird too, there's never been a statement before! I said that I felt sympathy for Jekyll since he had to conceal his evil desires in a Victorian Society, leading to him creating Hyde. Yet, i did also say that I didn't feel sympathy because it was his fault that Hyde exists in the first place.
Lastly, I wrote that he's a coward and uses Jekyll as his 'city of refuge' after his terrible crimes committed by his alter ego. I wish I didn't panic in the exam, I forgot all about Super Ego etc...

Still, at least it's done.

How'd everyone else find it?
Looking back after my geography exam this afternoon, it went alright. Not great - but okay.

As for content, in Macbeth I wrote:
Lady Macbeth shows ambition by being condescending towards Macbeth. It's her subtle power play that allows her to push her beliefs onto him. Then, that both the Macbeths had ambition but Macbeth's was worthless as he wasn't willing to do anything with it. Finally, that Macbeth had no ambition as he only appears to show ambition from the moment Lady Macbeth convinces him to kill Duncan until she dies when he goes back to lacking in ambition. Therefore, Lady Macbeth was the only truly ambitious character and Macbeth was just mimicking her.
(Actually pretty proud of that tbh)

Then, in Jekyll and Hyde, I wrote:
Jekyll being a 'prisoner' causes the reader to feel sympathy for him, as he's also trapped with Hyde, who bears 'Satans signature' yet this Satan could also be Jekyll himself which reduces sympathy. Then, that the reader only feels sympathy because he's upper class and they can see themselves in his 'good and bad side' personality so their self-pity is transformed into pity for him. Finally, (the worst thing I wrote) they feel sympathy and pity because of the duality of his life. It confuses them and so they ultimately feel pity for him because of the confusion.

Honestly, it went so, so much better than I thought although the way I've described it here is better than in the exam. Hoping for a 7!

Quick Reply

Latest