The Student Room Group

Convince me to Vote

Ive had it with people telling me to vote for this and that.

I obviously do care about education and nhs and all that but these are my reason why I don't vote:

My 1 vote means nothing. Its all just numbers and stats

Whoever I vote for doesn't matter. They will still make stupid decisions for the country. I am sure whoever is elected will be better than the previous but we always never get what we want. You obviously make a "difference"

I am a british citizen who has no information or knowledge of politics and the government,
nor do I care to take the time to understand it.

Having the public, who the majority don't know jack about what they're voting for either because they dont work in politics or their just misinformed is kinda stupid in my opinion and kinda ruins the whole thing.

As long as my family and friends are safe, I have a roof over my head, I could not care less.

Can't think of anything else. Sure I had more but either way. Try and convince me because its annoying when people make a big deal about why I don't vote for anything. Don't be rude pls I am just trying to understand
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
"My 1 vote means nothing"

Imagine hundred of thousands of people have this mindset. What now? That's a lot of people who are not voting. Your vote does matter, everyone's does.

It is good to exercise your rights

This election effects you in so many ways. You are a student, and I presume you will be going to University or are currently at Uni. There's policies that may interest you. *cough* Labour :wink: . No but honestly, vote for who you want.
Reply 2
how will it affect uni

Original post by zezno
"My 1 vote means nothing"

Imagine hundred of thousands of people have this mindset. What now? That's a lot of people who are not voting. Your vote does matter, everyone's does.

It is good to exercise your rights

This election effects you in so many ways. You are a student, and I presume you will be going to University or are currently at Uni. There's policies that may interest you. *cough* Labour :wink: . No but honestly, vote for who you want.
Reply 3
Original post by KFrostMU
how will it affect uni

If Labour wins, tuition fees will be scrapped. No debt!
Reply 4
Thats cool but if they don't then I still wont have to pay anything after 30 years. The student debt barely effects me anyway. Whether it exists or not.

Original post by zezno
If Labour wins, tuition fees will be scrapped. No debt!
Ive had it with people telling me to vote for this and that.

I obviously do care about education and nhs and all that but these are my reason why I don't vote:

My 1 vote means nothing. Its all just numbers and stats

Whoever I vote for doesn't matter. They will still make stupid decisions for the country. I am sure whoever is elected will be better than the previous but we always never get what we want. You obviously make a "difference"

I am a british citizen who has no information or knowledge of politics and the government,

Having the public, who the majority don't know jack about what they're voting for either because they dont work in politics or their just misinformed is kinda stupid in my opinion and kinda ruins the whole thing.

As long as my family and friends are safe, I have a roof over my head, I could not care less.

Can't think of anything else. Sure I had more but either way. Try and convince me because its annoying when people make a big deal about why I don't vote for anything. Don't be rude pls I am just trying to understand

Just dont vote ffs its not compulsory
I would vote for Liberal Democrats for planned higher funding of the NHS than Labour and free public transport for students but they want to reverse Brexit, so they're not democratic nor are they liberal as Farron doesn't really like gay people xD
I'm thinking of going conservative though because as a Laissez-faire man I think that the NHS should be privatised to become more efficient, either that or have highest funds (lib dems), but then again Theresa May wants to regulate everything!

And maybe if Labour didn't introduce tuition fees in the first place, they wouldn't want to scrap them.
Reply 7
And thank f*** it aint. Just feel like people are giving me **** for it

Original post by Betelgeuse-
Just dont vote ffs its not compulsory
Reply 8
Don't bother. This is the most important election (along with 4 others, that's just from my current generation), truth this election was pre determined. You have 2 types of elections one where there's time for time change and one that reflects change. This election is all about reflecting on change - in other words conservatives are capitalising on labour losing the centre ground and brexit.

I do hope some time in the future we have to opt out of voting rather than opt in so it's compulsory unless you opt out in advance, spoil your ballot on the day or don't bother to do anything and just pay a fine (which would be dumb.)
Reply 9
"I am a british citizen who has no information or knowledge of politics and the government, nor do I care to take the time to understand it. "

People with this viewpoint are blinded by their ignorance due to their lifetime of privilege. Take a step back and view the bigger picture. While some policies may have a minuscule impact on you, they may have extremely profound impacts on the people around you.

If you care about the people of Britain, wherever they are from, however much they earn and whatever race they are, you should do some research into the policies and vote to benefit the people of the UK.
(edited 6 years ago)
And thank f*** it aint. Just feel like people are giving me **** for it

Tell em what u told us, they are all **** infact........ what is your constituency?
Reply 11
Unfortunately I don't care about other peoples problems unless their problems effects me. Sorry

Original post by Amefish
People with this viewpoint are blinded by their ignorance due to their lifetime of privilege. Take a step back and view the bigger picture. While some policies may have a minuscule impact on you, they may have extremely profound impacts on the people around you.

If you care about the people of Britain, wherever they are from, however much they earn and whatever race they are, you should do some research into the policies and vote to benefit the people of the UK.
Unfortunately I don't care about other peoples problems unless their problems effects me. Sorry

Well then, there's no motive for you to vote.
Reply 13
See I feel like no matter who is elected, we will never get what we want, there will always be a problem somewhere

Original post by that_guy874
I would vote for Liberal Democrats for planned higher funding of the NHS than Labour and free public transport for students but they want to reverse Brexit, so they're not democratic nor are they liberal as Farron doesn't really like gay people xD
I'm thinking of going conservative though because as a Laissez-faire man I think that the NHS should be privatised to become more efficient, either that or have highest funds (lib dems), but then again Theresa May wants to regulate everything!

And maybe if Labour didn't introduce tuition fees in the first place, they wouldn't want to scrap them.
Vote conservative.
Reply 15
Ive lived in this country for 18 and a half years. Throughout all the changes that have occurred in the uk, my life's currently pretty good so far
If you don't have an opinion about the policies in these areas, then don't vote.

Agreed - please don't vote. Voters should be informed - many aren't.
Unfortunately I don't care about other peoples problems unless their problems effects (sic) me. Sorry

That's sad. Ultimately, other people's (serious) problems will affect society.
Reply 18
yep

Original post by RogerOxon
That's sad. Ultimately, other people's (serious) problems will affect society.
Reply 19
You don't have to vote, and voting for the sake of it is ridiculous.

You have the right not to vote, so if you don't like any party then don't vote, as I have done on a couple of occasions.

Quick Reply

Latest