AQA Geography Unit 4a Geog4a June 2017 Watch

Hamzahs99
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I can't find anything on this years Unit 4a Exam so I thought I'd start a new post. I'm doing this exam for a second time as my teacher decided it'd be a good idea to do it with Unit 2 as they're kind of similar. Didn't come out with the best grade so hoping for a better grade this year. Anyone else doing this exam?
marcieiscooler
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm retaking this too, not sure why but struggle so much with section B
Hamzahs99
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Not sure how this ones gunna go tbh, you basically know what comes up for section A cos the questions are repeated and for section B I think you just need to waffle your way through it :hahaha:
MedApp2017
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Checking mark schemes are sure to help, but this is my first time doing 4A and I find the questions like 'Discuss the implications of your conclusions on geographers etc' quite annoying to be honest, so hope we just get the standard questions.
Luffyace97
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
section A was my worst nightmare pretty sure I've failed.
Woody1812
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Just a quick Q with regards to section B of that paper. I assumed that Q5b was regarding types of maps (e.g OS/sketch/geological) as opposed to cartographic skills; how likely is this to be credited in the mark scheme?
SFK537
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Woody1812)
Just a quick Q with regards to section B of that paper. I assumed that Q5b was regarding types of maps (e.g OS/sketch/geological) as opposed to cartographic skills; how likely is this to be credited in the mark scheme?
Maps are cartographical skills, thats what cartographical means
Woody1812
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by SFK537)
Maps are cartographical skills, thats what cartographical means
Great! so no problem that they aren't the mainstream points? Also, given the fact sketch and geological maps are pretty weak, likelihood of them being highly commended?
SFK537
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Great! so no problem that they aren't the mainstream points? Also, given the fact sketch and geological maps are pretty weak, likelihood of them being highly commended?
I think they're on the spec? So I reckon you'll be absolutely fine How many map example did you give altogether?
Woody1812
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I think they're on the spec? So I reckon you'll be absolutely fine How many map example did you give altogether?
SFK537

Did a strong para on OS maps with reference to my fieldwork for examples of it enhancing geographical understanding. Second para again the same but for sketch maps, again referring to fieldwork specific examples of it enhancing geographical understanding. In my quick round up/conclusion I used the quick example of geological mapping, again in reference to my use of it in fieldwork but this was only really a sentence or two long. So essentially 2 big paras and a quick round-up and example of geological mapping. Thoughts?
Luffyace97
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

The question is very open ended anyways I'm sure any types of map as long as it was linked to improving your geographical understanding should be fine
Luffyace97
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Did a strong para on OS maps with reference to my fieldwork for examples of it enhancing geographical understanding. Second para again the same but for sketch maps, again referring to fieldwork specific examples of it enhancing geographical understanding. In my quick round up/conclusion I used the quick example of geological mapping, again in reference to my use of it in fieldwork but this was only really a sentence or two long. So essentially 2 big paras and a quick round-up and example of geological mapping. Thoughts?
I talked about choloropleth - linked it to globalisation with its pros and cons

Dot maps - linked to tectonics with its pros and cons

Isoline maps - linked it to weather with its pros and cons

And for all of them linked it back to the question of how it improved my geographical understanding
chloequestionm
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What did you think the first question in section A meant? Lots of my class found it hard to interpret the question as it was justify the geological basis, you cant really justify why a theory is a theory?
anemoneblanda
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by chloequestionm)
What did you think the first question in section A meant? Lots of my class found it hard to interpret the question as it was justify the geological basis, you cant really justify why a theory is a theory?
i know people who talked about the location not the theory
chloequestionm
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by anemoneblanda)
I talked about the location so atleast im not the only one haha!
SFK537
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by anemoneblanda)
That's how you were supposed to answer it, relating your location and risks to the geographical theory - first question on a 4A paper must include reference to risks and location in some aspect.
SFK537
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
SFK537

I you'll receive higher marks due to the fact that you have used the maps which are probably not as commonly mentioned - I just mentioned the standard choropleth, dot, desire line and flow line which the examiner will always see haha.
chloequestionm
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thankyou! Glad I didnt get it wrong
That's how you were supposed to answer it, relating your location and risks to the geographical theory - first question on a 4A paper must include reference to risks and location in some aspect.
anemoneblanda
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi everyone. Can someone explain to me if it was possible to get an A* in this years geography 4A exam and how? I got:
GEOG1 = 119
GEOG2 = 44
GEOG3 = 107
GEOG4A = 58

which overall adds up to 328 and gave me an A.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (124)
17.92%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (72)
10.4%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (119)
17.2%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (101)
14.6%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (67)
9.68%
How can I be the best version of myself? (209)
30.2%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed