How do I decide who to vote for? Watch

SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
idk is it just Labour vs Conservative or is it worth looking at the other candidates at all?

All of my peers are saying Labour because of the apparent free tuition or is this just a fake promise?
username2080673
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SuperHuman98)
idk is it just Labour vs Conservative or is it worth looking at the other candidates at all?

All of my peers are saying Labour because of the apparent free tuition or is this just a fake promise?
Vote Lib Dem. Vote Lib Dem. Vote Lib Dem.

Corbyn can't lead and May has ditched Conservatism.

Spoiler:
Show

plus i know the candidates for both the constituencies, nice blokes
E102
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Take the quiz uk.isidewith.com
E102
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Jeremy would keep his pledges, especially that one after having so much exposure about it
Beth_H
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Nationally it's pretty much Tories vs Labour, but that might not be the case in your local area (my constituency, for example, is essentially Tories vs Lib Dem).

I've not read the manifestos yet, but Labour's is fully costed (which the Conservative manifesto, incidentally, is not), so the pledges made in it are presumably not impossible.

At the end of the day, though, you can vote for whoever you want. I'd start by looking at your local candidates and seeing who you like best, and then looking at that candidate's party and whether you like their national policies. How much choice you have really depends on where you live, since some parties aren't fielding candidates in every constituency, but Labour and the Conservatives are basically guaranteed to be on your ballot, and a Lib Dem candidate is highly likely (assuming you live in England).
AHappyStudent
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Have a look at their policies from an unbiased source and make a decision on who you want to vote for, don't listen to other people telling you what to vote.

As for Corbyn's free tuition, if labour did get in then it's pretty certain that they'll keep that promise.

Have a look at other candidates if you want but it is basically a two horse race. Whether you want to vote tactically or not is up to you really.
JMR2019.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Labour-
Just give Corbyn one chance-
If you don't like his policies then vote him out next time.
That is my opinion.
username2080673
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Beth_H)
Nationally it's pretty much Tories vs Labour, but that might not be the case in your local area (my constituency, for example, is essentially Tories vs Lib Dem).

I've not read the manifestos yet, but Labour's is fully costed (which the Conservative manifesto, incidentally, is not), so the pledges made in it are presumably not impossible.

At the end of the day, though, you can vote for whoever you want. I'd start by looking at your local candidates and seeing who you like best, and then looking at that candidate's party and whether you like their national policies. How much choice you have really depends on where you live, since some parties aren't fielding candidates in every constituency, but Labour and the Conservatives are basically guaranteed to be on your ballot, and a Lib Dem candidate is highly likely (assuming you live in England).
Costed? We certainly don't seem to be getting that impression from high profile shadow cabinet members, e.g. McDonnell and Abbott. It's a little red book attacking the rich in a manner that can't be sustained. The Conservative manifesto is also rubbish but not as much of a tragedy when compared to Labour.
E102
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Conceited)
Costed? We certainly don't seem to be getting that impression from high profile shadow cabinet members, e.g. McDonnell and Abbott. It's a little red book attacking the rich in a manner that can't be sustained. The Conservative manifesto is also rubbish but not as much of a tragedy when compared to Labour.
Which one do you agree with more? Where do your morals lie?
whoisme
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Labour says free tuition, which does sound enticing, but where are they going to get the money from? They say taxing the rich, but idk how that will work out.
Initially I thought it would be doubtlessly conservative but now labour sounds pretty good too. Idk?!
Plagioclase
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Vote for whoever is the opposition to the Tories in your constituency.
username2080673
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by E102)
Which one do you agree with more? Where do your morals lie?
Neither. I'm a Lib Dem and intend to vote that way.
Spoiler:
Show

my constituency is a tory-labour marginal if that's noteworthy
E102
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Neither. I'm a Lib Dem and intend to vote that way.
Spoiler:
Show

my constituency is a tory-labour marginal if that's noteworthy

Ahh the sit on the fence second brexit referendum party...

Just kidding I'm not voting labour or tories either so I can't judge
username2080673
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by E102)
Ahh the sit on the fence second brexit referendum party...

Just kidding I'm not voting labour or tories either so I can't judge
Ahh . Who do you plan on voting for? I'm guessing the Greens, SNP or Plaid Cymru.
Beth_H
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
McDonnell and Abbott haven't exactly had the smoothest few weeks, but they weren't the ones who came up with the policies, and it's not like either of them was the mastermind behind the manifesto costings. At least Labour have made an effort to explain where the money for their policies will come from - the Tories haven't even bothered to come up with anything beyond the same tired rhetoric.
E102
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ahh . Who do you plan on voting for? I'm guessing the Greens, SNP or Plaid Cymru.
Yeah SNP... nicola "wont stop till we're independent" sturgeon [s]innocent[\s]

:innocent::innocent:
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Usually I'd call something in a manifesto a fake promise if it's just sort of bunged in and there's no real calculation on how they've costed it up. Labour have attempted to show how they're going to cost everything up so I'd say they at least want to remove tuition fees. Whether they actually can will likely be dependant on how much the new taxing the rich policy turns out to be.

I only looked in depth at "the big three" manifestos i.e labour, lib dem and conservatives. Any other party's pretty pointless, conservatives stole a lot of UKIP policies so UKIP is now irrelevant, after a quick browse through of the green party it just looks like a Labour-Lib dem combo deal but much vaguer, so have made themselves more irrelevant than usual. Any other party has literally no chance, really. So I'd advise researching a bit on conservatives, labour and lib dems and seeing which one tickles your fancy the most overall.

I'm personally most inclined to labour at the minute. Spoiling ballot is always an option if you genuinely don't like anybody.
(Original post by whoisme)
Labour says free tuition, which does sound enticing, but where are they going to get the money from? They say taxing the rich
Well that answers that question, I suppose.

Specifically they're upping corporation tax, which apparently will raise £19.4 billion. A further £6 billion is supposed to come from making people earning over £80k pay more tax, and people earning over £123k even more so. Then another £1.3 billion from a new "excessive pay levy" for taking extra dosh off people earning over £330k, and a bunch of other stuff that isn't outlined in quite such a specific way in the source I'm reading.

Have a gander yourself, if you want:
https://www.ft.com/content/2fa5b1bc-...9-b01cc67cfeec

Provided all the numbers are actually correct, everything seems quite well costed. Interestingly the conservative manifesto didn't seem to mention any specific numbers or ways of paying for their promises in any of the bits I read... which was all 88 or so pages.
(Original post by E102)
Take the quiz uk.isidewith.com
If you're generally quite centrist the isidewith quiz gives you some seriously bizarre recommendations. I took it a while back and apparently I agreed with lib dem and conservative equally.
CL1998
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You might not know but several of the conservative cabinet members have also made a variety of costing errors also like hammond.
E102
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
Usually I'd call something in a manifesto a fake promise if it's just sort of bunged in and there's no real calculation on how they've costed it up. Labour have attempted to show how they're going to cost everything up so I'd say they at least want to remove tuition fees. Whether they actually can will likely be dependant on how much the new taxing the rich policy turns out to be.

I only looked in depth at "the big three" manifestos i.e labour, lib dem and conservatives. Any other party's pretty pointless, conservatives stole a lot of UKIP policies so UKIP is now irrelevant, after a quick browse through of the green party it just looks like a Labour-Lib dem combo deal but much vaguer, so have made themselves more irrelevant than usual. Any other party has literally no chance, really. So I'd advise researching a bit on conservatives, labour and lib dems and seeing which one tickles your fancy the most overall.

I'm personally most inclined to labour at the minute. Spoiling ballot is always an option if you genuinely don't like anybody.

Well that answers that question, I suppose.

Specifically they're upping corporation tax, which apparently will raise £19.4 billion. A further £6 billion is supposed to come from making people earning over £80k pay more tax, and people earning over £123k even more so. Then another £1.3 billion from a new "excessive pay levy" for taking extra dosh off people earning over £330k, and a bunch of other stuff that isn't outlined in quite such a specific way in the source I'm reading.

Have a gander yourself, if you want:
https://www.ft.com/content/2fa5b1bc-...9-b01cc67cfeec

Provided all the numbers are actually correct, everything seems quite well costed. Interestingly the conservative manifesto didn't seem to mention any specific numbers or ways of paying for their promises in any of the bits I read... which was all 88 or so pages.

If you're generally quite centrist the isidewith quiz gives you some seriously bizarre recommendations. I took it a while back and apparently I agreed with lib dem and conservative equally.
It was accurate for me anyway, lib dem are generally centrist aren't they?
username2080673
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Beth_H)
McDonnell and Abbott haven't exactly had the smoothest few weeks, but they weren't the ones who came up with the policies, and it's not like either of them was the mastermind behind the manifesto costings. At least Labour have made an effort to explain where the money for their policies will come from - the Tories haven't even bothered to come up with anything beyond the same tired rhetoric.
You'd expect prospective cabinet members to know their own manifesto. Labour have made explicit how they're going to 'afford' (I use the term lightly) all of the bold and empty promises - they want to attack the rich.

(Original post by E102)
Yeah SNP... nicola "wont stop till we're independent" sturgeon [s]innocent[\s]

:innocent::innocent:
I'm not particularly too interested in the whole independent thing, if Scottish people want independence they should have it by all means. Although I'm afraid the SNP are presenting themselves as a one-issue party too concerned with flogging a dead horse. Willie Rennie is your man, make some reconsiderations.

(Original post by CL1998)
You might not know but several of the conservative cabinet members have also made a variety of costing errors also like hammond.
I'm not surprised. Both parties are tragic in many different ways.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (220)
23.66%
Pop (230)
24.73%
Jazz (35)
3.76%
Classical (56)
6.02%
Hip-Hop (174)
18.71%