cap badges and berets Watch

kookie_4
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
okay i know this is pretty random but i was just wondering how to attach a cap badge to a beret. you know the badges that only have a sort of clip like pens have sometimes, ive tried to attach mine but it keeps falling off each time i put it on my head hehehe:mad:, anyway thought someone could help me if youre in the army.
Dagowly
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by kookie_4)
okay i know this is pretty random but i was just wondering how to attach a cap badge to a beret. you know the badges that only have a sort of clip like pens have sometimes, ive tried to attach mine but it keeps falling off each time i put it on my head hehehe:mad:, anyway thought someone could help me if youre in the army.
Most of the beret badges i've seen have 2 small loops that go through the holes in the front and have a brass pin that goes through them both on the back.
Speedbird2008
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
^^ What he said.

Just place the badge through the holes in the front of the beret, then slide through the brass pin to secure it.
threeportdrift
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If you've got a badge with a vertical clip like a pen then you have to to some sewing! Get some dark or beret coloured thread and sew a horizontal stitch at the place you need the top of the clip to be to make the badge rest in the right position. Then keep sewing in the same place so that you have a chunk of stitches, all the same size, jammed up together. Then slip the clip of the badge through behind the stitches. You can do the same for lower down the clip as well, if it needs to be more secure.
Q_M
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
If you've got a badge with a vertical clip like a pen then you have to to some sewing! Get some dark or beret coloured thread and sew a horizontal stitch at the place you need the top of the clip to be to make the badge rest in the right position. Then keep sewing in the same place so that you have a chunk of stitches, all the same size, jammed up together. Then slip the clip of the badge through behind the stitches. You can do the same for lower down the clip as well, if it needs to be more secure.
Yea I just had to do my OTC beret like this.
kookie_4
Rep:
?
im in the OTC, thats why im asking, some people are saying that i have to cut a hole in the beret and put the pin through that to secure it, im hopeless at sewing so i cant do that ahhhh
i need to do it by tuesday
Robinf20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It depends, my OTC beret from 4 years ago had a leather pocket type thing to accept the pen like clip on the beret badge. If you haven't got one of those on your beret then i would go with what threeportdrift has said!

Maybe this is a further case of costcutting!
Q_M
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
im in the OTC, thats why im asking, some people are saying that i have to cut a hole in the beret and put the pin through that to secure it, im hopeless at sewing so i cant do that ahhhh
i need to do it by tuesday
Ok, well, don't have a go at me if it goes wrong!

I cut a slit in the beret with a stanly knife, on the outside, and inside (you can see where the stitching is on the left hand side....sort of). You can also see on the inside of the beret where the "pin" bit of the emblem needs to sit (to now be known as a little sleeve). Thats where the slit needs to be on the outside of the beret, so the "pin" comes through and sits inside the little sleeve.

Does that help? lol
Q_M
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Robinf20)
It depends, my OTC beret from 4 years ago had a leather pocket type thing to accept the pen like clip on the beret badge. If you haven't got one of those on your beret then i would go with what threeportdrift has said!

Maybe this is a further case of costcutting!
Just seen this post. Sounds the same as my beret.
NFI
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Don't they do lessons on how to look after/prep your kit when you first join?
Q_M
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by NFI)
Don't they do lessons on how to look after/prep your kit when you first join?
You do indeed. Its pretty fast though to be fair.
hodges
Report 11 years ago
I'm at SUOTC. Our berets sound similar. We have a leather strip inside the beret that forms a pocket for the pen-clip to slide into. However in order to get the clip inside the pocket you need to cut a small hole from the front of the beret through into the leather strip. Then just slide the clip through and try and wiggle it into the pocket.

You'll work it out! The hard bit is shaping the thing to look decent on your noggin!
babes_and_bootnecks
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If all else fails take to it with the black maskers!
Q_M
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by hodges)

You'll work it out! The hard bit is shaping the thing to look decent on your noggin!
Tell me about it.

To be fair I'm pretty happy with mine now.
babes_and_bootnecks
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Be the envy of your OTC and shape your beret like this!
Q_M
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by babes_and_bootnecks)
Be the envy of your OTC and shape your beret like this!
I'll second that - looks just like mine. :rolleyes:
kookie_4
Rep:
?
hey..finally got the cap badge in, i just needed to cut a little slit in the beret then fit it into the leather pouch on the inside i think i was worrying too much and didnt realise how easy it was anyway OTC is great going to sandhurst next weekend
Q_M
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
hey..finally got the cap badge in, i just needed to cut a little slit in the beret then fit it into the leather pouch on the inside i think i was worrying too much and didnt realise how easy it was anyway OTC is great going to sandhurst next weekend
How come Sandhurst next weekend.

I've got my first "exercise" next weekend, God only knows whats going to happen.
kookie_4
Rep:
?
ive already done my first exercise so the next one is a weekend away to sandhurst, exercise new cadet for me wasa lot easier than selection weekend. we had to carry our rifles with us all weekend do a march up a hill with webbing day sack and rifle then do some lessons about living in the field, cooking in the field and learning about ranks, the last one was done in the rain...we were soaked but it was fun. finally we done some pt in involved pushinga landrover for 800m along with carrying other stuff like a metal stretcher ammo containers tyres on poles, barrels sacks with heavy stuff in...it sounds bad but youll love it
Q_M
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
ive already done my first exercise so the next one is a weekend away to sandhurst, exercise new cadet for me wasa lot easier than selection weekend. we had to carry our rifles with us all weekend do a march up a hill with webbing day sack and rifle then do some lessons about living in the field, cooking in the field and learning about ranks, the last one was done in the rain...we were soaked but it was fun. finally we done some pt in involved pushinga landrover for 800m along with carrying other stuff like a metal stretcher ammo containers tyres on poles, barrels sacks with heavy stuff in...it sounds bad but youll love it
That sounds awesome, I hope mines something along those lines.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (31)
12.11%
Yes - a food allergy (27)
10.55%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (8)
3.13%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
3.52%
No (181)
70.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed